Once Were Lions

On 27/11/2020 at 17:45, Hughsehhh said:

Haha, good luck with that mate. Wasn't one of your brethren jailed today for murdering a prison officer. Nice people those republicans. Nothing embarrassing about terrorists that used to bomb women and children, I'm sure.

Tbh I'm not really bothered, whenever I've been to Ulster I've seen more union flags than anywhere, they love it. A lad from the Creggan estate in Londonderry flies into my office regularly, naturally a Catholic. He'd never vote for a united Ireland in a million years. He elucidates on what the shinners get up to, encouraging fellow kafliks to claim every benefit they can to 'bleed the British state dry'.

As to your views on pmqs, that's funny, aren't there a fair few DUPs etc promoted to the Lord's. I remember bumping into Trimble amongst one or two others when I went there a few years back. 

As to your tourist anecdote, that's fabulous, really opened my eyes, thanks

Seems you have a one man fan club in Mr Frisky. You two wouldn’t be from Norn Iron by any chance? I ask cause in my four years at Uni in the north of England I never met any backward Englishmen, so this would be quite a novelty. Having said that I didn’t come across any of the northern England branch of the Orange Order, so there is that possibility (not convinced tho).

National phone ins (BBC Five Live, Talksport (when it wasn’t just sport)), streams of English people phoning in wanting zilch to do with the backward Norn Iron Unionists. The same happens in Westminster as I said, Norn Iron bloke gets up to speak, the adults switch off until they are done before resuming proceedings. My admiration went through the roof for Brits in Britain, sensible people, very different to Brits in Norn Iron. The contrast was an eye opener.

This is your brethren. Edwin Poots, a Norn Iron health minister, thinks the Earth is 6000 years old (among other backward stuff), as do his brethren in the DUP.

Headline: ”Norn Iron’s Edwin Poots: the perfect minster for the land time forgot”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/11/northern-ireland-edwin-poots-creationist-anti-gay

Opening sentence : “Edwin Poots, Norn Iron’s health minister, is almost comically unsuited for his position”.

Whats fascinating is during the plantation that you are a fan of, unless you are in the tiny percentage of the populous who are descendants of colonial administrators, the landed gentry or similar ilk (which the tiny few who are would admit as they are generally self loathing), your ancestors were among the overwhelming majority of British folk who were oppressed, illiterate peasants who were subordinate to their overseers. You cheer the oppressors...definitely Norn Iron.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DC77 said:

Seems you have a one man fan club in Mr Frisky. You two wouldn’t be from Norn Iron by any chance? I ask cause in my four years at Uni in the north of England I never met any backward Englishmen, so this would be quite a novelty. Having said that I didn’t come across any of the northern England branch of the Orange Order, so there is that possibility (not convinced tho).

National phone ins (BBC Five Live, Talksport (when it wasn’t just sport)), streams of English people phoning in wanting zilch to do with the backward Norn Iron Unionists. The same happens in Westminster as I said, Norn Iron bloke gets up to speak, the adults switch off until they are done before resuming proceedings. My admiration went through the roof for Brits in Britain, sensible people, very different to Brits in Norn Iron. The contrast was an eye opener.

This is your brethren. Edwin Poots, a Norn Iron health minister, thinks the Earth is 6000 years old (among other backward stuff), as do his brethren in the DUP.

Headline: ”Norn Iron’s Edwin Poots: the perfect minster for the land time forgot”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/11/northern-ireland-edwin-poots-creationist-anti-gay

Opening sentence : “Edwin Poots, Norn Iron’s health minister, is almost comically unsuited for his position”.

Whats fascinating is during the plantation that you are a fan of, unless you are in the tiny percentage of the populous who are descendants of colonial administrators, the landed gentry or similar ilk (which the tiny few who are would admit as they are generally self loathing), your ancestors were among the overwhelming majority of British folk who were oppressed, illiterate peasants who were subordinate to their overseers. You cheer the oppressors...definitely Norn Iron.

Jeesh mate, let it go. Must be quite a burden carrying that chip on your shoulder. 

The topic is the GB lions. I'd love a few northern Irish lads to make a really UK team in future, along with some Welsh and Scottish to add to the English players. If lads from the republic want to play, I'd have no issue. Someone like Brian Carney is a great example, he's proud of his Irish heritage and doesn't bang on about it (too much). But it's the GB lions, if they have an issue with Britain or the UK or Cromwell, the Queen, or whatever hang up the Irish carry, then don't play, no-one is forced to. 

Can't speak for Mr frisky but, and sorry to shatter your Celtic dreams, I'm Welsh.

On 27/11/2020 at 14:17, Celt said:

Use it for what?

I know they do for football. But what else? 

Or are you just talking about a football team?

They don't use it for all the Commonwealth Games sports for example.

it would be hard to name any others as for pretty much all the other sports they play as a united Ireland... IIRC

• ckn locked this topic

Archived