Elstone talks TV deal, Private Equity and next season (ish)

The first 10 minutes of this weeks 5 Live podcast is dedicated to Dave Woods interviewing Super League "Executive Chairman" Robert Elstone. Not a long chat but covers a lot of ground (including Toronto though there is another thread for that). Available wherever you get your podcasts, I use spotify.

He suggests that he's been talking to 10 TV broadcast partners over summer and a number of Private equity firms - for which super league has engaged a consultancy to go as a go between. He wouldn't say how talks are progressing or who they are progressing with. 

On PE, Elstone himself seems nervous about it going through, but happily seems to have vision for it. Unlike RU, he doesn't want to have PE money used to clear debts and instead used for "material difference" to the sport - he doesn't go into saying how much that figure is however or what that difference could entail. That said he does talk about how he wants to use that injection of capital to help grow the sport, which you can read into what you will but its clear he feels underfunded for his ambitions to grow the game. I personally got the sense for example that growth in London is something he sees as needing greater funding than currently possible. It also seems that without unanimous backing from the clubs PE won't go through though, which Woods suggests is possible given the vote of no confidence by sides that are extremely unlikely to have gone away or changed their opinion by the time this is presented to the clubs. Elstone doesn't say if there will be a vote to demonstrate unanimity, but does suggest an investor would be uncomfortable investing in a divided league (especially when 2 of the biggest English clubs and the biggest French clubs are the ones against).

He does talk very briefly about expansion with PE and the 12th team in Super League. It seems he wants a club who will add to Super League's attractiveness to broadcasters - he doesn't mention whether they are English or French however. 

For what its worth I think given the brevity of the interview, range of topics covered, and general lack of interviews Elstone gives vs "statements", Woods presses him quite well.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Robert Elstone has plenty of critics but for me the jury is still out pending the outcome of TV deal and any external investment. He seems to know what he’s doing so I remain hopeful he turns out to be VFM for Super League. 

I think its interesting that he seems to have a vision for PE that is strategic and perhaps even centrally controlled.

The truth is we all lack an understanding of his job and what he's doing, he wouldn't have been a strong candidate for the job if even just one of the criticisms aimed at him were true.

Having said that he's co cked up the TWP affair.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

It would have to be centrally controlled as otherwise for some clubs it will be like putting a junkie in charge of a pharmacy 😞

I agree, though I equally don't know what it could be used for at current clubs thats not either debts or better players. Bar Cas and Wakey, most teams have (partially) new stadiums. Training facilities/pitches could be an option but then again, its Wakefield who are massively behind the rest on that whilst others have stuff at varying qualities up to the likes of Leeds and Wigan with effectively their own rugby clubs as training grounds at Kirkstall and Orrell.

Unless he's looking at using it to support Local Authorities building new facilities.

29 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Robert Elstone has plenty of critics but for me the jury is still out pending the outcome of TV deal and any external investment. He seems to know what he’s doing so I remain hopeful he turns out to be VFM for Super League. 

The TV deal is mega important to the game and not only in money terms, but we do need a bigger TV deal.

The 12th club is important as well as in my eyes they must bring new fans and big new sponsors to the game.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The TV deal is mega important to the game and not only in money terms, but we do need a bigger TV deal.

The 12th club is important as well as in my eyes they must bring new fans and big new sponsors to the game.

I think the clear worry is that the TV deal alone cannot bring in the revenue needed to support Elstone's vision. 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

For what its worth I think given the brevity of the interview, range of topics covered, and general lack of interviews Elstone gives vs "statements", Woods presses him quite well.

Yes , fair play to Dave Woods , at least he posed some difficult questions . I listened to the full 80 with Michael Carter, Mick Gledhill just went along with his statements without challenging anything. 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

He does talk very briefly about expansion with PE and the 12th team in Super League. It seems he wants a club who will add to Super League's attractiveness to broadcasters - he doesn't mention whether they are English or French however. 

The problem I have with that is the current proposal is for the 12th team to be handicapped, not just in terms of lower central funding, but in the short timescale they will have available to put together a competitive squad. I don’t care where the team comes from, if they are getting destroyed every week it does not make for good TV, so how can you say you want the 12th team to be attractive to broadcasters on the one hand, and make them fight with the metaphorical one hand behind their back due to lower funding and lack of preparation time on the other?

9 hours ago, Oldbear said:

The problem I have with that is the current proposal is for the 12th team to be handicapped, not just in terms of lower central funding, but in the short timescale they will have available to put together a competitive squad. I don’t care where the team comes from, if they are getting destroyed every week it does not make for good TV, so how can you say you want the 12th team to be attractive to broadcasters on the one hand, and make them fight with the metaphorical one hand behind their back due to lower funding and lack of preparation time on the other?

He does seem to be quite happy to perform some one sided views of things totally discounting the other opinions. I agree its a contradictory position between attractiveness and the level of funding.

11 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Even if the 12th team would receive an equal share of the central distribution, the idea that one team can add so much value all by themselves that broadcasters and sponsors will suddenly pay more for the relevant rights is wishful thinking.  On that basis it's very difficult to see how any of the clubs eligible to apply would bring more to the table than Toronto could.

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

This is confusing for me.  How can you appoint a 12th team into SL at such a short timescale for next season and expect that club to be attractive to broadcasters (in the longer term if you are after a 3 or 4 year TV deal) when that club may well be favourites to be relegated next season?

3 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

This is confusing for me.  How can you appoint a 12th team into SL at such a short timescale for next season and expect that club to be attractive to broadcasters (in the longer term if you are after a 3 or 4 year TV deal) when that club may well be favourites to be relegated next season?

I agree, its contradictory, though I suppose he maybe thinks with broadcast deals being intense next year, having a Bradford in would be beneficial in negotiation meetings.

4 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

They don't, all the talk has been of bums on seats, did you miss that bit ?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I've never been burdened with reading between the lines when speaking to honest men. 

Absolutely true, but he's the manager of a sports competition who rarely gives extended interviews and is rarely pressed on issues. Its the best we can get right now

14 hours ago, Oldbear said:

You mean like TWP were being "destroyed each week" untill....

The bottom team is going to be uncompetitive.  London amazingly won 2 games against Saints which were an aberration.  The only way to stabilise the league is to scrap relegation.

As for PE, well based on the comments we will never get it because Hetherington will black ball it... especially if Elstone proposes it.

The Broncos were really unlucky 10 wins (2 v Saints) any other season with P and R they would have finished 10/11 at least.

Even though London seem to have a weak (And thats putting it mildly) squad at present the academy set up is brilliant and I would not put it passed Dave Hughes to sign some good solid players even at the late stage.

Favourites Toulouse followed by the Broncos 

IMHO the Bulls are not in it 

24 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The Broncos were really unlucky 10 wins (2 v Saints) any other season with P and R they would have finished 10/11 at least.

Even though London seem to have a weak (And thats putting it mildly) squad at present the academy set up is brilliant and I would not put it passed Dave Hughes to sign some good solid players even at the late stage.

They shouldn't be really, but I'm coming to a point of very high certainty that Elstone wants them in and for different reasons the RFL do too. I think objectively Bradford the club isn't ready, but equally objectively, Bradford the city is somewhere that should be in Super League for it to be strong (in Elstone's view too).

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Maybe they were , just out of interest where would the team that finished 2nd normally have finished with their points total ? , Just one of those seasons , take away the 2 Saints academy defeats and London had one win more than Leigh in 2017 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe they were , just out of interest where would the team that finished 2nd normally have finished with their points total ? , Just one of those seasons , take away the 2 Saints academy defeats and London had one win more than Leigh in 2017 

A win is a win

Archived