Jump to content

Cazoo to become Principal World Cup sponsor


JohnM
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I can't be the only one who has bought things from certain providers entirely because they are associated with TGG.

It really does inform my choices.

I’ve bought Mushy Peas when they have an RL comp and bought coffee from Papua New Guinea purely because it’s the national game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sounds really promising, bringing in new sponsors of this value, you can't complain about the work the WC team are doing.

Re: Cazoo, I'm in the market for a used car and prior to this I hadn't considered them but I will do in future if the price stacks up. So there you go one potential customer. 

  • Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Sounds really promising, bringing in new sponsors of this value, you can't complain about the work the WC team are doing.

Re: Cazoo, I'm in the market for a used car and prior to this I hadn't considered them but I will do in future if the price stacks up. So there you go one potential customer. 

Article in the paper over here today, " Britain to ban all sales of petrol and diesel cars by 2030'. The owner Alex Chesterman is described as a serial entrepreneur. He may see himself as getting in ahead of the curve as people start to switch over. He would be aware of this Gov`t policy and there must be some angle in it he is planning for. Is a little strange given there may be a flood of second hand cars onto the market in the next few years, that could certainly knock their value around.

Possible scenario is that people will be less likely to spend money on a new car that will have little resale value beyond 2030, may go for a second hand one or lease one to see them through until the price of electric vehicles comes down. Sounds like a company that may have a long term plan. Now how can Rugby League leverage that to our advantage.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great news and as the 2013 World Cup showed big companies want to get involved and sponsor big international events. This is money greatly needed for the game and we need to be putting on more internationals to keep these companies involved. Hopefully Super League can get a few spin offs too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder if the company was selected as a commentary on Elstone's bonkers growth strategy of promoting skint Yorkshire clubs? Looking forward after Cas Who, to hearing that the next sponsor is Wakey Why😄

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s not the most glamorous line of business, but the name is kind of `snazzy` and will look good and catch people`s attention, and the seven figure sponsorship also gives it cred. I think it appears to be great news, nice and early to which looks good as well.

Hope your right about Elstone, when you pay a bloke that much, you`re also paying for his contacts.

Cazoo have only gone into Everton this season, so it's hard to imagine Elstone knowing them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Article in the paper over here today, " Britain to ban all sales of petrol and diesel cars by 2030'. The owner Alex Chesterman is described as a serial entrepreneur. He may see himself as getting in ahead of the curve as people start to switch over. He would be aware of this Gov`t policy and there must be some angle in it he is planning for. Is a little strange given there may be a flood of second hand cars onto the market in the next few years, that could certainly knock their value around.

Possible scenario is that people will be less likely to spend money on a new car that will have little resale value beyond 2030, may go for a second hand one or lease one to see them through until the price of electric vehicles comes down. Sounds like a company that may have a long term plan. Now how can Rugby League leverage that to our advantage.

I'm not sure I see the linkage, but clearly there are lots of quality 2nd hand cars available.

I should point out that petrol hybrids are not set to be stopped in 2030 and existing cars still work!  I would suggest a classic car. 

If our enthusiasm is anything to go by, the Cazoo website should be red hot by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, redjonn said:

Aaah now I've seen the advert again I am reminded I have seen it a number of times.

I guess the question would be why I didn't remember the companies name - all be it outside of this threads topic. Never-the-less often the case in that remember the advert but not the name of the company. I guess in this case important because that's what they would want as distinct from lifestyle type choices. Unless of course aim was to convince to buy cars on line.

Anyway really Good news..

One problem with recognisable company brands is the made-up words some propellor-head consultant comes up with - Ocado, Opodo, Cazoo, Tui etc.

I thought I'd heard of them, but wasn't sure 'til I checked, because the name was blandly meaningless.

Anyway, to slip into Traditional RL Fan Mode, why can't we have proper, well-known sponsors like Woolworths, Pan-Am, BHS or Rumbelows? Harrumph!

  • Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Ha, I must admit I hadn't heard of them either, but that's exactly the point of this kind of stuff. They will get substantial coverage over the ne t 12m, including presence on the BBC. 

I've recently bought a new car and if you go on comparison sites or things like autotrader cazoo are everywhere,  links from all kinds of websites.

Great news this, it must have been difficult getting sponsors on board at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

I've recently bought a new car and if you go on comparison sites or things like autotrader cazoo are everywhere,  links from all kinds of websites.

Great news this, it must have been difficult getting sponsors on board at the moment. 

It is GOOD NEWS, there is though plenty of sponsorship money around at present via the on-line economy one just has to do good research  and its there with names in many cases that one has never heard of but are huge businesses:)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'm not sure I see the linkage, but clearly there are lots of quality 2nd hand cars available.

I should point out that petrol hybrids are not set to be stopped in 2030 and existing cars still work!  I would suggest a classic car. 

If our enthusiasm is anything to go by, the Cazoo website should be red hot by now.

Perhaps my second paragraph would be a more likely scenario. Petrol and diesel car sales banned beyond 2030, means that if you buy one anytime between now and 2030 it will have zero resale value after that, therefore if someone really needs to buy a car, first time buyer, replace a car your having trouble with, etc, they may be best advised not to spend too much money on a petrol/ diesel model and therefore this may lead to an surge in used car sales.

Of course they could go straight out and buy an electric model, however they can be expensive, the technology is still developing and that market hasn`t really fully developed yet, people will be understandably wary of making a significant purchase under that scenario.

No, a successful start-up entrepreneur like Chesterman will have done his home work, he wouldn`t be coming into a tired old market like used-car sales unless he thought that there was going to significant change in the not too distant future.

A little unrelated, amazing how as soon as the prospect of internationals is introduced, Rugby League doesn`t seem to have too much trouble getting a big sponsor on board, I`m assuming those in charge of the game take note, and start thinking 4 nations, in- coming tours etc. in non WC years.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Perhaps my second paragraph would be a more likely scenario. Petrol and diesel car sales banned beyond 2030, means that if you buy one anytime between now and 2030 it will have zero resale value after that, therefore if someone really needs to buy a car, first time buyer, replace a car your having trouble with, etc, they may be best advised not to spend too much money on a petrol/ diesel model and therefore this may lead to an surge in used car sales.

Of course they could go straight out and buy an electric model, however they can be expensive, the technology is still developing and that market hasn`t really fully developed yet, people will be understandably wary of making a significant purchase under that scenario.

No, a successful start-up entrepreneur like Chesterman will have done his home work, he wouldn`t be coming into a tired old market like used-car sales unless he thought that there was going to significant change in the not too distant future.

A little unrelated, amazing how as soon as the prospect of internationals is introduced, Rugby League doesn`t seem to have too much trouble getting a big sponsor on board, I`m assuming those in charge of the game take note, and start thinking 4 nations, in- coming tours etc. in non WC years.

It is only new petrol car sales that will be banned. The sale of used cars will be unaffected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

It is only new petrol car sales that will be banned. The sale of used cars will be unaffected.

 

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/petrol-cars-canned-in-uk-green-revolution/news-story/7313479fb3ed234b2bddb3037b0c0b5b

The article here says both diesel and petrol new cars, hybrids by 2035, not sure how it works over in your part of the world, probably similar, most people will update to new cars or even buy a new car if you`re a first car buyer, there being so many well priced new cars on the market these days Post 2030 their probably leaving the secondhand market alone for people who want to wait for the reasons I mentioned above or for people who can only afford to buy in that market, as second hand electric or hydrogen cars come on to the market, these people will be priced into this market, not a bad plan to make the transition as equitable as possible while still encouraging the shift to low emissions vehicles.

Edited by The Rocket
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

A little unrelated, amazing how as soon as the prospect of internationals is introduced, Rugby League doesn`t seem to have too much trouble getting a big sponsor on board, I`m assuming those in charge of the game take note, and start thinking 4 nations, in- coming tours etc. in non WC years.

We learnt this in 2013 and followed it up with a woefully supported World Cup down under and stagnation in the international game in the Northern Hemisphere.

  • Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We learnt this in 2013 and followed it up with a woefully supported World Cup down under and stagnation in the international game in the Northern Hemisphere.

The 2016 4 nations was actually really good (as was 2014 edition with Samoa down under iirc) and the Kiwi tour in 2015 was alright if a little stunted in international reach and perhaps was a sign for what was to come...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The 2016 4 nations was actually really good (as was 2014 edition with Samoa down under iirc) and the Kiwi tour in 2015 was alright if a little stunted in international reach and perhaps was a sign for what was to come...

Fair. I was being unnecessarily harsh. We've had five years of forgetting the lessons we learnt, not seven.

Entirely relatedly: 2015 was the first year of the RFL's focus on boosting the game in this country by having jeopardy for mediocre teams at the foot of the Super League table.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...