Josh Hodgson’s nephew follows him to the NRL

Davo5

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

When your governing body acts small-time then your players will treat you as such. It's a feedback loop.

You're not far wrong on this but there are a lot of other things that contribute to this.

If you imagine that Wigan, Saints & Leeds have only ever acted in the interests of the game as a whole then the words of Wilkins ring true.

History says otherwise bigtime!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Is it worrying  ? Young lads going into NRL development systems . If they make it great , if they don’t it’s a great experience and they’ll pick up plenty for their future career . More should do it given the chance 

I agree.

And we are always lamenting on here that Rugby League has to compete with football (soccer), Union and other sports for the top talent and this is an attractive option... that if you are a talented young Rugby player in the UK you can get a gig in the best rugby comp on the planet. 

Pathways for development, success and achievement are an important factor when attracting talent.  This will do no harm.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

There should be a standard compensation scheme. If the NRL is going to recruit British kids they should pay the RFL with the money to be put back into junior development. Doesn't need to be prohibitive, but it needs to be enough to be some use.

Is that legal?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

20 hours ago, Oxford said:

You've summed it up nicely, LR. It is worrying and does not bode well for the future. A while ago Gus suggested all the good juniors from here should go to Oz and that would sort out all the problems. This is nonsense of course the bits that it would solve would be eaten up by the insular nature of Aussie sport. It would leave us with only journeymen ( the most valuable but least valued of our players) but also a far less exciting spectacle to watch. But the Aussie would be fine so that's alright then!

Feels like you could say much the same thing about the St PieLoins over here.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

3 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Feels like you could say much the same thing about the St PieLoins over here.

St PieLoins I don't understand this bit corvus ???????

21 minutes ago, Oxford said:

St PieLoins I don't understand this bit corvus ???????

Its my shorthand for Saints, Wigan and Leeds, I've only just read your post from yesterday where you make the same/similar point. Its still early for me.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

7 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

There should be a standard compensation scheme. If the NRL is going to recruit British kids they should pay the RFL with the money to be put back into junior development. Doesn't need to be prohibitive, but it needs to be enough to be some use.

Original piece says they got a fee for him.

Anyway, good luck to the lad. Moving at the right time in his career to a place where the game has a much higher profile. Ambition, initiative and much better weather.

4 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Its my shorthand for Saints, Wigan and Leeds, I've only just read your post from yesterday where you make the same/similar point. Its still early for me.

ANd I hadn't had any breakfast do it came to me over the pan of porridge.

And yes they do perform the same function. I call it the Reverse Draft System of Perpetual Inequality.

I think he'll spend 2021 in the NSW Cup given he's a FB/centre. I can't see him taking Ponga's jumper - if he can that's an incredible signing for the Knights. They also have Bradman Best probably nailed on in one centre spot and a whole bunch of options already for the other - Tuala, Shibasaki, Hymel Hunt.

I think all young people should travel, especially when they get a work opportunity like this. It's so much easier at 18 than it is later on when your life gets more complicated. If Cas are going to collapse just because one player is missing then they probably weren't going to have a huge year anyway. If the kid doesn't like it, Cas get him back with an extra year of tough training and playing under his belt.

On 19/11/2020 at 18:12, Copa said:

I’m amazed he’s been given permission to enter the country. There is currently an extremely restricted incoming passenger cap so I’m shocked a place has been given to someone who really is a nobody.

True, didn’t think of that

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I would imagine now things are going much better in Australia, the regulations for professional sports people will be much more relaxed. The Wigan lad at Canberra fell foul this season but at that point it was still in the heat of their outbreak.

On 19/11/2020 at 11:39, Hela Wigmen said:

I don’t blame people for going, however, I do think it’s the start of a worrying trend that has seen English lads leave for Australia without many/any games played at Super League level. 

I agree. 

If English lads are going for the lifestyle and the sunny beaches, there's not a lot that the sport in the UK can do. 

If they're going for the development opportunities or the money, that should (but won't) be a shot in the arm for the game to make improvements. 

For all the talk of "proper international calendars", the fact remains that Super League is the primary asset that we have to offer at the moment. If Super League can't offer the best talent that it can, because that talent goes elsewhere, then the product is weaker. 

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

A city like Sydney is only permitting something like 350 people to arrive by international flight each day. So planes have around 30 people on them who have paid for business or first class tickets at highly inflated prices. From London it’s probably at least $10,000 one way.

We are also banned from leaving the country without obtaining a difficult to obtain travel exemption.

Archived