another 12 million loan

Bearman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but if we had the wife/husband/donor/best mate of a cabinet minister as CEO, we'd get billions and never have to pay it back!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, but if we had the wife/husband/donor/best mate of a cabinet minister as CEO, we'd get billions and never have to pay it back!

The rugby league clubs have about as much experience in PPE as some of those getting handed multimillion pound contracts so isn't even that farfetched!

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Disappointing that the heavily funded Union top flight is getting some. I’d have no issues with their community game getting a slice though. 

To be honest their funding levels are far closer to ours than than they are to football's, especially as the RFU spends most of its surplus on grassroots. 

There's football in one boat, and then everyone else in another, when it comes to sport in this country. 

6 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

To be honest their funding levels are far closer to ours than than they are to football's, especially as the RFU spends most of its surplus on grassroots. 

There's football in one boat, and then everyone else in another, when it comes to sport in this country. 

True, but their salary cap is over three times ours, they’ve not an impoverished sport at that top level, and they have far more wealthy benefactors and sponsors. 

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why is horse racing going to receive government funding, unbelievable that.

That was my first reaction, but the racing industry employs thousands of people and is probably a massive source of tax revenue also. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

That was my first reaction, but the racing industry employs thousands of people and is probably a massive source of tax revenue also. 

Never overlook the latter point, governments around the globe are going to need as much tax revenue as they can lay their hands on, it made me smile in the springtime when there were all sorts of rumours circulating in Canada that liquor stores would be forced to close on account of them being non essential, until it was pointed out just how much tax revenue the government, both provincial and federal, makes from taxing alcohol. It’s the same with betting, governments everywhere need the tax revenue.

6 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Never overlook the latter point, governments around the globe are going to need as much tax revenue as they can lay their hands on, it made me smile in the springtime when there were all sorts of rumours circulating in Canada that liquor stores would be forced to close on account of them being non essential, until it was pointed out just how much tax revenue the government, both provincial and federal, makes from taxing alcohol. It’s the same with betting, governments everywhere need the tax revenue.

We used to pay 10p tax on a quid bet and then 9p (or you could choose for your winnings to be taxed), but then 15 years or so ago (?) it went to nil. I assume taxing bookmaker profits must be massive though, though a lot are registered in Gibraltar and other places. 

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

The horse racing industry does employ many thousands of people

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

We used to pay 10p tax on a quid bet and then 9p (or you could choose for your winnings to be taxed), but then 15 years or so ago (?) it went to nil. I assume taxing bookmaker profits must be massive though, though a lot are registered in Gibraltar and other places. 

Isn’t it done via levies based on turnover these days as well 

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I have no idea.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 sports to get financial help, but the owner of the Bristol RU club has just been on Radio 4, saying that his sport should get a third of the total. I'm sure that will go down well with people from the other beneficiaries.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

11 sports to get financial help, but the owner of the Bristol RU club has just been on Radio 4, saying that his sport should get a third of the total. I'm sure that will go down well with people from the other beneficiaries.

Another deluded union person. No surprise there

12 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No it isn’t . Racing and the courses have suffered massively through all this . Some are struggling to carry on .Directly and indirectly it employs thousands . It’s one of the biggest spectator sports in the country and has lost masses of revenue 

Extra £12m.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-300-million-sport-winter-survival-package-to-help-spectator-sports-in-england?utm_source=bf025c4f-0133-4e3d-8e03-b8c4cded8f46&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

• Rugby Football League: £12 million. This will be delivered as a top-up to the existing Government loan scheme announced in May 2020, to reflect updated circumstances.

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I just wanted to agree before this is moved or locked.

I agree and RL may be in hock for centuries ( that's debt not Gareth BTW)

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

£135m for yawnion. Disgrace!

Did we expect anything different?

So will it cross code, politcal or Chubb?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

£135m for yawnion. Disgrace!

What's the betting they still spend all of theirs before we spend ours?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

What's the betting they still spend all of theirs before we spend ours?

And there's no guarantee they won't get more.

I'm thinking cross code what about you?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived