another 12 million loan

Bearman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No sorry its a nonsense excuse. 135 Million accounts for most of Unions Winter season being wiped out, according to the government's own logic. What about the past 4 months of RL

I *believe* the wording is that it's specifically for sports who were expecting fans to return from 1 October (fans were never going to be possible before then).

Personally, it looks to me like the £135m to union is some obscene outlier but the £12m additional to rugby league fits well with the spread for other sports.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I *believe* the wording is that it's specifically for sports who were expecting fans to return from 1 October (fans were never going to be possible before then).

Personally, it looks to me like the £135m to union is some obscene outlier but the £12m additional to rugby league fits well with the spread for other sports.

I can agree with that to an extent. 

9 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

There is no point comparing the amount with other sports, we do not know what they and the rfl asked for. Also if there is some of the first loan not been used the govt will be asking why do you need more when you haven't used the original amount. 

Also any loan has to be paid back, so keep borrowing to a minimum if possible.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Netball doesn’t get crowds 1/3 the size of RL’s, and Badminton doesn’t get crowds 1/6th of the size, or anywhere approaching it. Badminton is mainly a game played by people who are too old to play other sports. 

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

Also any loan has to be paid back, so keep borrowing to a minimum if possible.

True, but money has to come from somewhere. Aside from the government loan is has been from fans waiving season tickets and players taking paycuts.

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Never forget in all of this is that loans have to be paid back.

It's will be far easier for us to pay our loan back than it will be for them to pay their loan back

I expect some old etonians in the treasury will write Unions debt off in a few years time, can’t have Cuthbert and Hugo at the RFU worrying about trivial matters like paying back a £135m loan. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Netball doesn’t get crowds 1/3 the size of RL’s, and Badminton doesn’t get crowds 1/6th of the size, or anywhere approaching it. Badminton is mainly a game played by people who are too old to play other sports. 

Well quite, how did they come to these numbers???

Just now, Eddie said:

I expect some old etonians in the treasury will write Unions debt off in a few years time, can’t have Cuthbert and Hugo at the RFU worrying about trivial matters like paying back a £135m loan. 

Possibly not this time with the way things are and will be for a while, but in the past yes without a doubt

18 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I cannot believe how much they have given Championship RU (Only 25% less than us) thats around £900K per club the total attendances for the entire league (Even if Saracens were at home) would be no more than 25000.

It's not been given though its loaned

Would love to see how these figure are broken down and agreed.

if and if the loans have to be re payed, then yes, keep any loans to a minimum

big figures for RU - assume that covers Eng Wales and Scot rah rah ?

So the whole of RL has been awarded £28m over these two announcements. 

RU 3rd division and below has been awarded £23m.

But as we saw with the funding disparities over lockdowns, obviously the funding will be completely fair.

21 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Hope this is shared with Toronto too.

RL family united 💪

As a Toronto Wolfpack supporter since BEFORE they even played their first game......why do you bring them into this thread? Yes they (Wolfpack), have a ton of outstanding liabilities that should be getting paid, but that kind of expenditure is not what these funds are for.  These funds are to help EXISTING Clubs weather this Covid-19 environment that we are living in.  Toronto Wolfpack, for all intents and purposes DO NOT EXIST anymore.  And don't tell me about the ginormous Wolfpack thread on here.  I have not visited it since about page 50 and I wish John Drake would can it, and also can any new threads that pop up endeavouring to take its place.  Most of us over here have now "moved on".  Before anyone asks why I'm still on this forum then.....1) because I still have an interest in RL thanks to my last 4 year involvement and 2) because I can be, on the forum....

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Why?

It's a national sport with far wider and more numerous levels of participation, and national reach that we can only dream about. We are a small, minority, largely Northern sport with falling participation figures.

Quite a bit of the RU money (£44 million) is going to the RFU, presumably to offset losses from International Rugby. How many International Rugby League matches have been played behind closed doors? £23 million on RU clubs below Championship levels. What do we have at grass roots level that is comparable with the swathe RU clubs in virtually every city, town and villages in the UK? 

We need to be realistic about where we actually are, rather than where we'd all want to be.

for some its always an opportunity to jump on the hobby horse/chip on the shoulder of either... RU getting better better treatment than RL or bash the government cause we are northern sport and hence not treated fairly...

Logic or rational doesn't come into it... its all a conspiracy..

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Bristol RU is owned by the same company as Bristol City FC

He also owns the Basketball club, but was saying RU and RU alone should leech a whole third of the money on offer. And, surprise, surprise, they've got even more than a third (based on preliminary figures). Plus he'll get a cut of the £4m allocated to Basketball.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But as we saw with the funding disparities over lockdowns, obviously the funding will be completely fair.

To be (moderately) fair there are several hundred rugby clubs below that level and the vast majority will have social clubs that they’ve not been able to run but are having to maintain.

That’s not the case for most of the RL clubs covered by the funding we’ve received.

I still think it’s very generous to RU but I don’t think it’s as scandalous as tens of millions going to ferry companies who don’t own any ferries.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is it partly due to the fact that Rugby Union is more or less guaranteed to be able to pay their loan back but RL may struggle?

1 England match at Twickers probably brings in twice as much money than the RFL & SL make in profit each year.

Archived