another 12 million loan

Bearman

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

To be (moderately) fair there are several hundred rugby clubs below that level and the vast majority will have social clubs that they’ve not been able to run but are having to maintain.

That’s not the case for most of the RL clubs covered by the funding we’ve received.

I still think it’s very generous to RU but I don’t think it’s as scandalous as tens of millions going to ferry companies who don’t own any ferries.

Yep, I expect that is a factor. I also think an important factor may be what each sport has asked for. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is it partly due to the fact that Rugby Union is more or less guaranteed to be able to pay their loan back but RL may struggle?

1 England match at Twickers probably brings in twice as much money than the RFL & SL make in profit each year.

Thats the RFU, the club game however is regularly at a loss

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, I expect that is a factor. I also think an important factor may be what each sport has asked for. 

And nothing to do with which school they went to!😉

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

big figures for RU - assume that covers Eng Wales and Scot rah rah ?

think it's just England... 

£59m Premiership

£44m RFU central

Championship £9m

Below Championship £23m

As has been said by a few though, I think most of this is loans, and I'd expect when that actually sinks in we'll see what we saw with the money the RFL got a few months ago, i.e. a good few clubs deciding that they don't want that particular millstone.

9 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

think it's just England... 

£59m Premiership

£44m RFU central

Championship £9m

Below Championship £23m

As has been said by a few though, I think most of this is loans, and I'd expect when that actually sinks in we'll see what we saw with the money the RFL got a few months ago, i.e. a good few clubs deciding that they don't want that particular millstone.

Chief executive officer Bill Sweeney said the Rugby Football Union was grateful for the "much-needed support" and that the organisation would work with the government to find the "appropriate balance between loans and grants" for the different areas of the sport..

Some transparency wouldn't go amiss.........grants appear part of the funding

11 minutes ago, Oxford said:

And nothing to do with which school they went to!😉

As an ex public schoolboy myself can you just give me the RFL chairs job and i'll get all the media coverage and govt backing you could ever wish for...

or that may not work... still i'd probably make a better fist of it than many!:kolobok_ph34r:

Just now, DoubleD said:

Chief executive officer Bill Sweeney said the Rugby Football Union was grateful for the "much-needed support" and that the organisation would work with the government to find the "appropriate balance between loans and grants" for the different areas of the sport..

Some transparency wouldn't go amiss.........grants appear part of the funding

is that not loans from the RFU and grants from the RFU rather than loans from the govt and grants from the govt..

RFU pay it all back but clubs dont necessarily need to pay the RFU back etc

1 minute ago, RP London said:

is that not loans from the RFU and grants from the RFU rather than loans from the govt and grants from the govt..

RFU pay it all back but clubs dont necessarily need to pay the RFU back etc

That's not how I interpretted it but you maybe right

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

As an ex public schoolboy myself can you just give me the RFL chairs job and i'll get all the media coverage and govt backing you could ever wish for...

Depends on the public school you mean!

We don't want just any old one you know. And you have to dress up as a Tory donor.

And it has to be like the stuff being put in place for providing stuff for Covid millions for stuff you no experience in and never having to pay it back.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

No sorry its a nonsense excuse. 135 Million accounts for most of Unions Winter season being wiped out, according to the government's own logic. What about the past 4 months of RL

Didn't we get 16million earlier - I don't believe RU did...  maybe that helps explain.

Plus RU internationals are a massive revenue events - unfortunately we, as in RL, can't provide such proof of a massive loss.

Archived