Michael Cheika is new Lebanon rugby league coach

Copa

He`s going to have a bit of talent to work with as well, Douehi, Twal, Mansour, probably Mitch Moses and there will be plenty more with enough Lebanese heritage to qualify, pity that country is such a basket case, I`ve always thought the game could have a good chance there given the strength of the ties between the Lebanese community in Australia and Rugby League.

A very interesting and unexpected appointment. God knows how it'll turn out.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

It’s a massive step up in his career and I just worry whether he’ll be able to handle it

He's had a somewhat cheikad coaching career in RU but no doubt he'll handle his role with Lebanon with his customary class, charm and bonhomie. 🙂

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It’s a massive step up in his career and I just worry whether he’ll be able to handle it

You joke but in Australia it's probably seen as true. I saw this news has actually got a half page story in one of the big papers. Something union struggles for.

new rise.jpg

• John Drake changed the title to Michael Cheika is new Lebanon rugby league coach

What would be interesting to see is Eddie Jones get a head coach role in RL when he wants to move back to Australia when he finishes with the RFU. He's not a million miles away from having a very good RL technical coaching staff to work with, given he has in the last two years recruited Clark from Warrington and Ryles from the Storm.

This made the news here in Ireland on our biggest sports news app. It was funny reading the comments at the shock when people learned that we have a rugby league team (The Ireland league team was mentioned in the article). Good exposure for sure.

This is a very good hire for Lebanon. Cheika has found success in new environments before (won a European title with Leinster and currently Argentina are playing their best rugby ever with him on the staff). He speaks Arabic so will be able to do lots of local press before and during the tournament. And as mentioned his name is fairly well known in Ireland so will get extra attention for their pool game.

On 20/11/2020 at 14:59, foozler said:

What would be interesting to see is Eddie Jones get a head coach role in RL when he wants to move back to Australia when he finishes with the RFU. He's not a million miles away from having a very good RL technical coaching staff to work with, given he has in the last two years recruited Clark from Warrington and Ryles from the Storm.

He’s in the frame for the Cook Islands RLWC job. 

Archived