At the risk of displaying my ignorance . . .

William Webb Ellis

I've seen lots of debate about championship players affording to go full time and play in Super League. If the payment to a new member of Super League is £1m and you have a squad of 20 that seems to be about 50 grand per player per year. A few superstars on mega money and a few journeymen on apprentice wages, but basically as a pro it seems you can just about earn a living wage. Great to earn your living doing something you love, but on the other hand you have a short shelf life and if you're cut loose in your 30s without another skill to fall back on your prospects might not be too rosy.

I've googled around and it''s not easy to get a handle on what pay scales are like, there's sign-on money, basic salary, appearance money, match fees, win bonus, cars, benefits, perks etc, what the hell is the actual number?

So, my question is, if you're like YCK or indeed any of the other contenders for promotion/election what do you have to pay to recruit and retain  a competitive on-field team that can hold its own in SL? There seems to be a dilemma that young inexperienced (cheap!) players may not cut the mustard, while on that other hand again, it may be difficult to engage better, experienced players who can't give up their day jobs to go full time and still make enough money to provide for themselves when they leave the game.

As I say, at the risk of displaying my ignorance, but just how do you square this particular circle? Answers on a postcard please!

Anyway, good luck YCK, I'd love to see you up there.

First of all a squad of 20 players is no where near enough. Then you’ve got office staff. On the plus side you have gate money and sponsorship but you also have training and transport costs insurances ground rent etc

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

First of all a squad of 20 players is no where near enough. Then you’ve got office staff. On the plus side you have gate money and sponsorship but you also have training and transport costs insurances ground rent etc

Think we would need  a squad of 30 then you have coaching staff physios all on full time, your sponsors would pay a lot more to advertise, if we sold 2,000 season tickets at £250, thats £500K

Complicated, innit? Just hope the Knights have a top class number cruncher on  board. It'll be ironic if it's not the forwards and the backs and the marquee players and the mega stars that get us over the line but a beancounter in his shiny suit. Still, that's not to say I wouldn't take it!

The off field facilities aren't the problem with us and that shows with how successful our World Cup bid and how many teams York are hosting next year. We will always have a constant supply of graduates on different sport related courses through partners York College and York St.Johns Uni. The main area or question not answered so far if York were successful and went full time if  players didn't want to do it that were already under contract for 2021 like Tim Spears for example would we need to pay him out of contract or I wonder if there is a release clause in there. As this 12th club request was sprung after all clubs started recruiting for 2021.

Archived