York’s Super League Bid promo video

3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

The beauty of it is that fans can choose which events they attend, its not an all or 'nothing kind' of deal!

I'm sure the stadium will be ' rammed ' with coach loads of Chinese tourists taking in a game before seeking out the orse and the owse ? 😉

Post covid of course 

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm sure the stadium will be ' rammed ' with coach loads of Chinese tourists taking in a game before seeking out the orse and the owse ? 😉

Post covid of course 

I know this in tongue in cheek but there at least some truth in this. York is a destination for many people from all over the U.K. and the world.  Just maybe a few will come and take in a game and like it so much they take it home with them? It does happen. Can't see how it can do any harm.

At the least York is full at the weekend with parties from Tyne/Teesside.  They might decide to take in a game before they go home on the Sunday.

28 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

As mentioned previously in this thread, the LNER Community Stadium capacity is 8,500, but the stadium has been designed in such a way that it could be expanded to 12,000 relatively quickly and easily if there was ever demand for it down the line.

8500 is plenty big enough, most Super League clubs don’t average that. A worse case scenario would be regularly selling out, and that’s hardly a bad thing.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Post covid of course 

is that the one in Wales Gubrats?

There's an orse, that brown one, down by there, by the ouse, over by the tump.

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

is that the one in Wales Gubrats?

There's an orse, that brown one, down by there, by the ouse, over by the tump.

Don't know mate , maybe that's what those 2 coach loads of German tourists who watched us play Celtic at Bridgend were looking for 

True story 😀

3 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Good to hear about YCK’s links with VisitYork.

Any scope for involving the Yarm ARLFC youngsters with YCK?

As for nurturing interest on Teesside, that’s great, but make sure you spell Middlesbrough correctly!

Newcastle Thunder support Yarm Wolves

The stadium and its capacity are both fine. 

The challenge is getting a crowd of minimum 5k (yes, including both home & away fans!) on a guaranteed basis in SL, which will create a good enough matchday atmosphere for those in attendance and create a spectacle on TV (empty stadiums = not worth watching = flick channel.) 

1.5k - 2.5k in an 8.5k stadium ain't gonna cut the mustard. Its all about perception whether that be for those pay at the gate or pay TV........

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Have Leigh Centurions got a link up with Visit Leigh?

Its Visit Leyth Bent n Bongs , DD. There is a tour with Lunch up cut, a visit to Leyth Spinners and Mining Museum, with a stop off where't spinning Jenny was invented - Fish supper at Green lane Chippy then on t game. Chapel st Sauna for post match

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

As mentioned previously in this thread, the LNER Community Stadium capacity is 8,500, but the stadium has been designed in such a way that it could be expanded to 12,000 relatively quickly and easily if there was ever demand for it down the line.

It’s relatively quick to build a stadium from scratch😂

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

7 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

The YCK Foundation's reach is growing every single year and if there's a junior club in North Yorkshire that wants our guidance or assistance, they will get it!

I had no idea Yarm had a rugby league club but that's ace. I've only ever been there once, about 16 years ago... is Talltrees nightclub still going? 😆

You don’t need to worry about that Gav! We have development officers covering this area

we successfully supported the creation on Yarm Wolves, and have further plans for another 3 community clubs in the TeesValley area.

keep up the good work in York though 

8 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

You don’t need to worry about that Gav! We have development officers covering this area

we successfully supported the creation on Yarm Wolves, and have further plans for another 3 community clubs in the TeesValley area.

keep up the good work in York though 

Congratulations on all your achievements up there, well done! Pass on my regards to Mick Hogan, we were development officers together (although 350 miles apart) all those years ago.

Interview with expansion loving Jon Wilkin on BBC GMR this evening. Said all the things you might expect, any championship clubs near the M62 will bring 'nothing to SL' because it's not an exotic location etc 🙂 Anyway, he reckons it should be Toulouse or York who are the 12th team in Super League next season,  but promoting a team from 'Lancashire or Yorkshire' would be a disaster for the sport ! Obviously he didn't study Geography at school, unless York is in Surrey.....🤣

14 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

Yes, yes and no. 

Whoever gets in will have a substantially different team by the start of the season and will in all likelihood be relegated.

I would love that to be us. 

If not, then so be it. 

Yes, you want to be awarded the 12th SL spot.

Yes, you believe York is ready,

No, you do not want to fight it out with the other Championship clubs for promotion next season.

Would it be that you consider this is the best opportunity York has of gaining SL status? 

York have amassed a quite considerable number of experienced player's, but the downside to experience is that it has taken quite a few years to gain that status, and first and foremost expierience has to be supplemented with the abillity to physically compete with fitter faster opposition, I have no doubt that your squad will hit the ground running but can the 'expierenced' guy's maintain that momentum as the season progresses?

Whoever the promoted team is there will be teams who will easily dominate them on the field, those being the teams who are regularly the pot winners and those who fall just below but compete each season for the Championship playoffs, then we come to those teams who are usually the SL basement dwellers they will treat the 'promoted' team fixtures as though it is a cup final, losing against the newcomers will not be an option, the games will be intense affairs. Then something which can befall any team is keeping the squad healthy, this is where having experienced player's can bite one in the backside, older player's who take knock's realise that the convalescent time is much more prolonged than when they were younger, recovery takes longer it is a natural process. Like all the Championship clubs the squad for next year was amassed to compete in the Championship against other Championship 'quality' opposition, not SL opposition, my club have took precaution to award only single year contracts, and it us up to the player's to proove that they are good enough to extend that contract, I hope for Yorks sake that multi season contracts have not been awarded, especially to the 'experienced' guy's. 

Lastly, you say the squads will be substantially different, where are the new player's going to come from Gavin?

Considering we are at that stage of the year when contracts are being renewed 95% of the contracts will have already been negotiated between player and club, there will also be those players who have commited to other 'new' clubs which won't be announced until the present contracts are completed at the end of November, so there will not be that many on the Market Shelf, and has happened in previous years there is no club going down from which player's will become available, obviously there are the Toronto player's out there but most of those are already committed, a few by my club but the thing with those player's is they have prooved to be good enough for the Championship but not for SL, hence my hope that we do not get the promotion spot, and if we do win promotion in '21 the yearly contracts are going to be a good decision.

Then we come to the budget, I don't know what York are to be awarded for finishing 3rd in '20 I believe it is what was awarded for 2019, so the 'extra' money you will recieve is £1M less the amount of the value equal to the '19 prize money, will that be enough without additional monies being put in by the directors, to find and entice new player's?

Anyway if you do get your wish and are the promoted club good luck.

15 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

I know this in tongue in cheek but there at least some truth in this. York is a destination for many people from all over the U.K. and the world.  Just maybe a few will come and take in a game and like it so much they take it home with them? It does happen. Can't see how it can do any harm.

At the least York is full at the weekend with parties from Tyne/Teesside.  They might decide to take in a game before they go home on the Sunday.

There won't  be many SL games on a Sunday, in my opinion the Championship is far far better to watch with regular Sunday fixtures than SL on Thursday, Friday some Saturday and the occasional Sunday fixtures.

PS and they could bring back the Monday slot.

9 hours ago, clogdance said:

Interview with expansion loving Jon Wilkin on BBC GMR this evening. Said all the things you might expect, any championship clubs near the M62 will bring 'nothing to SL' because it's not an exotic location etc 🙂 Anyway, he reckons it should be Toulouse or York who are the 12th team in Super League next season,  but promoting a team from 'Lancashire or Yorkshire' would be a disaster for the sport ! Obviously he didn't study Geography at school, unless York is in Surrey.....🤣

Maybe Wilkin was confusing York with Harrogate. As everybody knows, Harrogate is in Surrey.

16 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Toronto had more going for it. I am impressed that Mrs Jones from Kent will look at a fixture list as a never been to a RL game in her life person and decide to take in York v Wakefield on her next visit to York

Good morning

I agree with you about Toronto. 

I think Mrs Jones is at least as likely to take in York v Wakefield on her next visit to York than Featherstone v Wakefield on her next visit to Featherstone*

But, being serious, it's more likely that someone from Scarborough, or Northallerton, who has been interested but never quite tempted enough to come and see a game when York were in League 1, makes the effort when we're in Super League. 

*. I actually live in Kent, next door to a Sharon Jones. I'll ask her. 

Archived