York’s Super League Bid promo video

This is the 1st time that SLE have negotiated a TV Deal. Previously its been down to the RFL to get the job done. Lets see how SLE go, by all accounts it's going to be a £40m down to £30m kind of thing, cracking result. 

SLE can & should be selling the broadcast rights to as many territories as possible including France & Australia or they could sell the worldwide rights job lot to Sky and then it's up to Sky what they do. 

The whole point of pooling the TV deal is to get a good deal at League level, otherwise the alternative is that Clubs could sell their own media rights for their own Home Games. Some Clubs would end up better off, some would end up with next to nowt.    

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who with Eddie? does SKY sell dishes and subscriptions in France to the French public if yes end of argument, but if not and the SKY negotiations are are for the British broadcasting areas only, then I have no problem with the French Authorities or and clubs being responsible for sorting out their own broadcast deal which will be saleable to tge French public, I will also add funding should be commensurate with the value of the contribution the French TV deal brings to SL.

How is France any different to Canada/North America, I would not expect SL to go negotiating with Canadian/N. American broadcasters nor should I imagine they would be welcome in doing so. 

I would expect them to do that, if they have any ambition to be a serious player in sport outside of parts of Lancashire and Yorkshire. You can’t have some clubs negotiating their own tv deals and others not. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Correct me if I am wrong Tommy, but doesn't Sky take sports broadcasts for a fee with TV companies who have already negotiated and settled deals domestically with "all sorts of sports from loads of countries" not gone over and negotiated seperate deals, anyway would the host broadcaster allow that, I should think any TV company would desire exclusivity thus having the abillity to sell on to broadcasters in other countries is just another customer albeit a big one.

No H. Regularly now most competitions produce their own content and sell it to whoever. You can watch a sport that is for example on Sky in the UK and on for free on channel 9 in Oz or Bein Sports in Algeria, but is exactly the same feed with only different titles and presentation teams. The same principle applied with Catalans home matches on Sky. Sky don't own Super League content except in the UK.

To put it the other way around, when Sky get southern hemisphere RU or NRL, they take the feed from the competition, not the broadcaster. Which is why we had most of the regular season from Fox League but the finals/SOO from Nine. As there's no language difference the commentary and presentation can be taken from those countries too if they wish (they do for NRL but not Super Rugby afaik).

Super League may indeed agree to subcontract that out to Sky, or more likely a broadcast management agency like IMG, or they will take up those negotiations themselves. For "home markets", ie the UK and France, it should be Super League negotiating, but for external markets, as Toronto found, that is often done through an intermediary.

Super league is also a bit behind the times in that it does not have a central production company that then sells content to broadcasters. That is a major step I could see Elstone using PE money to fund.

26 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

York City Knights 2020 Challenge Cup results.  Played 2, won 2.

Did we win the Cup then? Is that how it works? 

I'm just stating a fact, as you well know. You lost all your league games, and then all championship clubs had to withdraw from the challenge cup.

9 minutes ago, clogdance said:

I'm just stating a fact, as you well know. You lost all your league games, and then all championship clubs had to withdraw from the challenge cup.

After winning the League in 78/79 Nottingham Forest won only one of their first 7 league games yet , despite everyone saying their bubble had also burst, they ended up finishing second and claimed a League Cup and European Cup double.

A season isn't defined by the first handful of results.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

No H. Regularly now most competitions produce their own content and sell it to whoever. You can watch a sport that is for example on Sky in the UK and on for free on channel 9 in Oz or Bein Sports in Algeria, but is exactly the same feed with only different titles and presentation teams. The same principle applied with Catalans home matches on Sky. Sky don't own Super League content except in the UK.

To put it the other way around, when Sky get southern hemisphere RU or NRL, they take the feed from the competition, not the broadcaster. Which is why we had most of the regular season from Fox League but the finals/SOO from Nine. As there's no language difference the commentary and presentation can be taken from those countries too if they wish (they do for NRL but not Super Rugby afaik).

Super League may indeed agree to subcontract that out to Sky, or more likely a broadcast management agency like IMG, or they will take up those negotiations themselves. For "home markets", ie the UK and France, it should be Super League negotiating, but for external markets, as Toronto found, that is often done through an intermediary.

Super league is also a bit behind the times in that it does not have a central production company that then sells content to broadcasters. That is a major step I could see Elstone using PE money to fund.

You are far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, but one thing I am perplexed with is "For Home Markets, ie the UK and France" and "External external markets as Toronto" The stretch of water is a bit wider to Canada, but France is still a different country.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You are far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, but one thing I am perplexed with is "For Home Markets, ie the UK and France" and "External external markets as Toronto" The stretch of water is a bit wider to Canada, but France is still a different country.

It is yes, but Super League operates in it (and may have 1/6th of the league operating there soon). Super League should sell those rights - parlez-vous français?

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They already do negotiate with all sorts of countries and broadcasters, which is why you can watch all sorts of sports from loads of countries.

And Elstone’s last attempt with French Broadcasters didn’t go to well

Well what started as a positive thread about an ambitious club producing a professional video to help push those aspirations has been dragged down by their rivals supporters led by Degsy’s campaign manager,truly pathetic.

Good luck York,if Toulouse don’t get in I really hope you do.

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Well what started as a positive thread about an ambitious club producing a professional video to help push those aspirations has been dragged down by their rivals supporters led by Degsy’s campaign manager,truly pathetic.

Good luck York,if Toulouse don’t get in I really hope you do.

Who is Degsy's campaign manager?

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who is Degsy's campaign manager?

Sweaty Craig. 

It made me laugh anyway. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Archived