York’s Super League Bid promo video

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not very convincing, have another go. 

I mean, your version gives clubs £22,500 so you're not strutting around about a different of £7,500 (once a season).

Which sums up pretty well the mediocrity and small time thinking that some people seem to have.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I see York are the new Toronto in the eyes of our Leigh followers,looking forward to this thread reaching 500 pages.

Typical Davo5 post, every 3rd one one he mentions Leigh and wonders why people come on here defending their club. #infatuated

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Me.

The royal 'we'.

On one of the many threads where Leigh's epoch defining 1,000 away fans (more when they travel away to another bit of Wigan) get raised as the most important criterion for any promotion assessment.

One visit from the golden horde equals, let's be kind, 750 more away fans than might come from another team. 750 fans pay £20 a ticket. Lose a bit for tax, get a bit back because they have a pie. Call it £15,000 extra in your till. Once a season. At best.

Roughly my fag packet Gingerjon but kiosk consumption a bit higher, the presales averaged about 1100 for Leigh in SL and walk up was always strong 1500 x 14 x 20 = £420k per annum into the comp plus any cup games etc against virtual zero away support expected from TO or TW or Catalans. If Leigh were the average then clubs will generate +£5m of away support income into SL - not insignificant imo

14 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Roughly my fag packet Gingerjon but kiosk consumption a bit higher, the presales averaged about 1100 for Leigh in SL and walk up was always strong 1500 x 14 x 20 = £420k per annum into the comp plus any cup games etc against virtual zero away support expected from TO or TW or Catalans. If Leigh were the average then clubs will generate +£5m of away support income into SL - not insignificant imo

Never mind Sweaty, I should imagine albeit I could be completely left field, Mr G Jon living down in Hastings will not frequent many 'away' grounds, so he has to devalue what visiting fans bring to the host club, no matter the value of it.

Just saying

8 hours ago, RayCee said:

If they were working before and during the game, why would they stop after the game? Unless you mean they weren’t working before the game either. Either way, going to a convenience before boarding the train would be my advice. 
On the subject of York in SL in a 14 team comp or achieved through winning the Championship final. For now I think Toulouse is the club in the best position to transition into SL.

I have personal experience of this. Having had a few pints in Hull's old town (an underrated night out by the way), I caught the train back to York. The service is run by Northern so the units involved can be hit and miss. On this occasion the toilet on the 2-car class 158 unit was out of use. Let's just say it's a good job we didn't experience any delays on the way back to York.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Never mind Sweaty, I should imagine albeit I could be completely left field, Mr G Jon living down in Hastings will not frequent many 'away' grounds, so he has to devalue what visiting fans bring to the host club, no matter the value of it.

Just saying

Not devaluing it, trying to work out the actual value.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hey Oxy, I resemble that remark.

PS so glad you have took the Jezza avatar down, it was making my toast curl up in the mornings.

You made me laugh with this one Harry.

I can't really discuss my use of Jezza with you I'm afraid as I'm officially in disgrace, so i feel a lot of affinity at the moment.

York seem to have as good a case as any and their efforts and support appear very good as well.

" I resemble that remark." Then you have my sympathy and I still think Leigh have the strongest line-up by half.

I can't help but hope it's Toulouse though.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

I can just see Morrisons putting up with their car park full for 2 hours of none shoppers.

You asked for parking advice having worked on a job in Mansfield Street (adjacent to Morrison’s). Just how many people were working on the job?!

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

You made me laugh with this one Harry.

I can't really discuss my use of Jezza with you I'm afraid as I'm officially in disgrace, so i feel a lot of affinity at the moment.

York seem to have as good a case as any and their efforts and support appear very good as well.

" I resemble that remark." Then you have my sympathy and I still think Leigh have the strongest line-up by half.

I can't help but hope it's Toulouse though.

Me too. 

4 hours ago, AB Knight said:

You asked for parking advice having worked on a job in Mansfield Street (adjacent to Morrison’s). Just how many people were working on the job?!

I was pointing out that I was working on a job near the centre and the roads around it had double yellows

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

21 hours ago, binosh said:

Mmmmm Expansion!

This bid would bring the only pro club in North Yorkshire onto the top table. North Yorkshire as a county is huge but sporting wise there are limited options. No pro Rugby Union, only 2 Pro football teams (Harrogate and York). Yorkshire Cricket have a week in Scarborough every year other than that nothing further. 

1 hour ago, HarrogateKnights said:

This bid would bring the only pro club in North Yorkshire onto the top table. North Yorkshire as a county is huge but sporting wise there are limited options. No pro Rugby Union, only 2 Pro football teams (Harrogate and York). Yorkshire Cricket have a week in Scarborough every year other than that nothing further. 

Middlesbrough Football Club (historically, in the North Riding) have an impact on North Yorkshire's sporting preferences. Boro's support extends well beyond Teesside, with fans as far south as Thirsk and Whitby.

North Yorkshire might be huge, geographically, but it is relatively sparsely populated.

10 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

(historically, in the North Riding)

Did it move because of boundaries or as a matter of preference like Leigh?

Just one question as well; With an avatar like Hopping Mad how do you expect to stand out from the crowd on here?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Middlesbrough Football Club (historically, in the North Riding) have an impact on North Yorkshire's sporting preferences. Boro's support extends well beyond Teesside, with fans as far south as Thirsk and Whitby.

North Yorkshire might be huge, geographically, but it is relatively sparsely populated.

It is sparsely populated but still has a population of over 1.1million. 200,000 in York alone. Middlesbrough has been swaying in and out of North Yorkshire but be great to be in as a further 140,000 to be included in the population. They aren't sure themselves where they belong as Cleveland isn't a county anymore but most up that way would class themselves more as North Eastern than Yorkist. You find most North Yorkshire football fans in the York/Harrogate area of either a Leeds or Bradford persuasion with the rest being glory followers. After Middlesbrough were relegated it stopped the glory followers but you still have the odd ones. Personally I would like Middlesbrough to be included in North Yorkshire as it increases the exposure and especially on the back of the world cup hosting a game and the cook Islands can only be a good thing. 

6 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

It is sparsely populated but still has a population of over 1.1million. 200,000 in York alone. Middlesbrough has been swaying in and out of North Yorkshire but be great to be in as a further 140,000 to be included in the population. They aren't sure themselves where they belong as Cleveland isn't a county anymore but most up that way would class themselves more as North Eastern than Yorkist. You find most North Yorkshire football fans in the York/Harrogate area of either a Leeds or Bradford persuasion with the rest being glory followers. After Middlesbrough were relegated it stopped the glory followers but you still have the odd ones. Personally I would like Middlesbrough to be included in North Yorkshire as it increases the exposure and especially on the back of the world cup hosting a game and the cook Islands can only be a good thing. 

Harrogate I love those population figures, you just have to have that critical mass if you are going to be serious long term. You can`t expect the same people to go to the game all of the time, a larger population base gives that bit of flexibility with people being able to dip in and out and still pull good crowds.

But did I hear somewhere the ground only holds eight thousand, that doesn`t sound like an awful lot to me, is there any likelihood of that being expanded, you`d have to think 15-20 000 would be pretty important, even just from a revenue side.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Harrogate I love those population figures, you just have to have that critical mass if you are going to be serious long term. You can`t expect the same people to go to the game all of the time, a larger population base gives that bit of flexibility with people being able to dip in and out and still pull good crowds.

But did I hear somewhere the ground only holds eight thousand, that doesn`t sound like an awful lot to me, is there any likelihood of that being expanded, you`d have to think 15-20 000 would be pretty important, even just from a revenue side.

It's something I have done alot of research in when setting up the Rugby League side in Harrogate. We have a population of circa 160,000 in the Borough of Harrogate and it was one the deciding factors in detirming the player base and our long term strategy. The ground in York is in the 8,000 mark there is room to expand if needed to 12-15,000 but ultimately when you are averaging under half the size of 8,000 at the top end 4,500 at the moment I would rather have 7,000 in an 8,000 stadium than 7,000 in 15,000. 

When you look at Salford they have 12,000 capacity and they average around 5,000. Wakefield have under 10,000 but with their attendances around 7,000 creates a better atmosphere. 

On 25/11/2020 at 10:44, gingerjon said:

I mean, your version gives clubs £22,500 so you're not strutting around about a different of £7,500 (once a season).

Which sums up pretty well the mediocrity and small time thinking that some people seem to have.

See your at it again, you are basing £22,500 on your 750 figures, not surprised you are getting likes from those hard of thinking?

Archived