York’s Super League Bid promo video

Jon Wilkin spoke on MCR Radio saying Leigh add no value to Super League. 

I'm genuinely getting bored of this my team is better than your team, it is incredibly negative and does so much more harm than good. 

It's been around pre-licensing and detracts from people talking about the game.

We have the biggest game of the year on Friday and there's barely any chatter about it. 

When we start to talk positive about the game, players and facilities it adds so much more value to the overall image & brand of the sport. York do this very well, especially in the community and social media. They can really sell the sport to the community and in my opinion have been a breath of fresh air to the sport.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chris Taylor said:

I'm genuinely getting bored of this my team is better than your team, it is incredibly negative and does so much more harm than good. 

We have the biggest game of the year on Friday and there's barely any chatter about it. 

When we start to talk positive about the game, players and facilities it adds so much more value to the overall image & brand of the sport. York do this very well, especially in the community and social media. They can really sell the sport to the community and in my opinion have been a breath of fresh air to the sport.

And when they have done that with results on the pitch for a number of years they will have a better case than some of the other current applicants IMO We have a history of chucking the latest en vogue club into SL and wondering why they failed

21 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

As I understand it it’s British subscriptions that pay for the deal, if not then it changes

Yes but SL negotiate the TV contract, not the clubs. Likewise they should negotiate a French TV deal on behalf of their member clubs. 

15 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

And when they have done that with results on the pitch for a number of years they will have a better case than some of the other current applicants 

In the last 3 completed league seasons, York have had an 80% win ratio.

Anyone got the stats for the other applicants?

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Toronto Wolfpack? The TW that just got thrown out? Back in like a yoyo, minus a DA type wealthy backer? I can see that working well. The powers that be are not ever going to u-turn on their own decision, it would make them look bat sh/t crazy. 

Avignon, people moan about the likes of Widnes, Salford, Leigh, Halifax, Featherstone, Castleford, Wakefield & HKR why bring in an Avignon that would strugge to reach the level of these mentioned clubs? A Joint Venture Combined Aude entity or a cashed up Lyon, I could understand.  

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Toronto Wolfpack? The TW that just got thrown out? Back in like a yoyo, minus a DA type wealthy backer? I can see that working well. The powers that be are not ever going to u-turn on their own decision, it would make them look bat sh/t crazy. 

Avignon, people moan about the likes of Widnes, Salford, Leigh, Halifax, Featherstone, Castleford, Wakefield & HKR why bring in an Avignon that would strugge to reach the level of these mentioned clubs? A Joint Venture Combined Aude entity or a cashed up Lyon, I could understand.  

TW would have been brilliant for the sports expansion, casting them adrift gives RU a clear run in a market responsive to RL

54 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

I do empathise with your position on that a lot.

However there is a cost to that, which the sport is reportedly heading towards a reckoning with in the new TV contract.

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

In the last 31 completed Championship fixtures York have a 61% win rate, Fev 68, Leigh 71 and TO 75 (32 games) In 2020 York had 0% win rate the rest 100%

You didn't say which league, you said "results on the pitch for a number of years". York have 3 years of being a consistent, winning side and won most of their games.

Including anything for 2020 is just a way to make you feel better.

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Thanks mate, thats very much a conscious decision on our part - to talk ourselves up and not worry about the other bids!

17 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

You didn't say which league, you said "results on the pitch for a number of years". York have 3 years of being a consistent, winning side and won most of their games.

You can't dismiss this season but then take results against West Wales Raiders and London Skolars into account..

I don't think we should be taking results into account at all to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Colin James said:

You can't dismiss this season but then take results against West Wales Raiders and London Skolars into account..

Don't worry, they aren't really, hence Bradford are able to apply. 😉

43 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

You generally compare against your peers, in this case 2019 plus 4 games

26 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Except those results against West Wales & London Skolars were part of a season that wasn't voided and went towards York winning the league obviously.

41 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

You generally compare against your peers, in this case 2019 plus 4 games

Out of interest, if you do that, for games played between TO, York, Leigh, Fev and Bradford in the 2019 regular season:

TO won 6 out of 8 = 75%

York 5 out of 9 = 56%

Fev 4 out of 9 = 44%

Leigh won 3 out of 8 = 40%

Bradford 3 out of 8 = 40%

(York and Fev are out of 9 because they played each other in the Bash)

Just saying...

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Yes but SL negotiate the TV contract, not the clubs. Likewise they should negotiate a French TV deal on behalf of their member clubs. 

Who with Eddie? does SKY sell dishes and subscriptions in France to the French public if yes end of argument, but if not and the SKY negotiations are are for the British broadcasting areas only, then I have no problem with the French Authorities or and clubs being responsible for sorting out their own broadcast deal which will be saleable to tge French public, I will also add funding should be commensurate with the value of the contribution the French TV deal brings to SL.

How is France any different to Canada/North America, I would not expect SL to go negotiating with Canadian/N. American broadcasters nor should I imagine they would be welcome in doing so. 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Who with Eddie? does SKY sell dishes and subscriptions in France to the French public if yes end of argument, but if not and the SKY negotiations are are for the British broadcasting areas only, then I have no problem with the French Authorities or and clubs being responsible for sorting out their own broadcast deal which will be saleable to tge French public, I will also add funding should be commensurate with the value of the contribution the French TV deal brings to SL.

How is France any different to Canada/North America, I would not expect SL to go negotiating with Canadian/N. American broadcasters nor should I imagine they would be welcome in doing so. 

They already do negotiate with all sorts of countries and broadcasters, which is why you can watch all sorts of sports from loads of countries.

1 hour ago, Simon Hall said:

No. There have been 4/5 highly competitive Championship rounds played this very year. They cannot be dismissed, in fact they are the most relevant games. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Elstone's job description is increasing revenue from broadcasting so it is he (and his team) who should be selling the broadcast rights to Super League not just to UK broadcasters, but to French, Canadian and frankly any other broadcasters anywhere else. 

If people are wanting the clubs to be responsible for negotiating their respective TV deals then have at it, but I doubt that many fans really want that particular Pandora's box to be opened.  

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They already do negotiate with all sorts of countries and broadcasters, which is why you can watch all sorts of sports from loads of countries.

Correct me if I am wrong Tommy, but doesn't Sky take sports broadcasts for a fee with TV companies who have already negotiated and settled deals domestically with "all sorts of sports from loads of countries" not gone over and negotiated seperate deals, anyway would the host broadcaster allow that, I should think any TV company would desire exclusivity thus having the abillity to sell on to broadcasters in other countries is just another customer albeit a big one.

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

No. There have been 4/5 highly competitive Championship rounds played this very year. They cannot be dismissed, in fact they are the most relevant games. 

So should York be relegated to League 1 and Hunslet into the Championship then? Is that fair?

Archived