So that's what cats bring to the game

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid thread title, if anyone doesn't see the benefits Catalan bring to the game then they need to get their head examined.

Yes it was an awful coaching approach tonight from McNamara, but yeah let's lynch and burn the club.....

Rather than stick the boot into Catalans try applauding them for over 15,000 miles of travel this season.

The continual lengthy trips away from home, significant lifestyle disruption, and personal hardship their families must have suffered deserves a massive thank you.

Let's not forget the enormous amount of funding the owner banged into it as well, a tremendous gesture and something the whole of Super League must respect.

Catalans are a welcomed and treasured addition to our competition.

Long may they continue.

11 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Bring back the biff but when a team gets over physical nobody likes it😁

I actually enjoy a bit of biff. I remember getting clattered most weeks when I was playing! I enjoyed last nights game immensely. A little bit old school.

When I was young n daft with a mind set that said if you get a blow to the head,  don't show it hurts, at best a rinse with a mucky sponge, get back up and get stuck in.

I dread to think the longer damage suffered by my cohort from long term issues from head injuries but from the 70s to the 90s it wasn't on the radar.

Its a game. The risks really aren't worth it

26 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Bring back the biff but when a team gets over physical nobody likes it😁

I see the "bring back the biff" massif have been quiet, recenty. If Cats were deliberately over-physical last night, I have news for them.  It didn't work.

2 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Rather than stick the boot into Catalans try applauding them for over 15,000 miles of travel this season.

The continual lengthy trips away from home, significant lifestyle disruption, and personal hardship their families must have suffered deserves a massive thank you.

Let's not forget the enormous amount of funding the owner banged into it as well, a tremendous gesture and something the whole of Super League must respect.

Long may they continue.

Some fair points here, but the way they approach some games leaves a lot to be desired. Surely you can agree with that.

I do think Sam Tomkins has really grown in the last few years and it looks like he is the most professional player they have who actually cares about the game and the club.

On paper they have some great players but there seems to be something that all the big NRL signings go through when they land in France- they almost think it's a last payday so dont need to be as professional as they were in the NRL - same could be said about the SL players who go over.

Put a real top professional leader like a Peacock or a Sinfield in that Cats team and they could be a great team.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

I do think Sam Tomkins has really grown in the last few years and it looks like he is the most professional player they have who actually cares about the game and the club.

On paper they have some great players but there seems to be something that all the big NRL signings go through when they land in France- they almost think it's a last payday so dont need to be as professional as they were in the NRL - same could be said about the SL players who go over.

Put a real top professional leader like a Peacock or a Sinfield in that Cats team and they could be a great team.

I take it you are a Leeds fan.

4 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Long may they continue.

They have done very well to get this far and well done for all the travel, money though comes from Maire/Region/SKY/Sponsors BG has a superb business but he is not bunging in masses of cash every season thats a myth the way it works in Perpignan is that someone fronts it (In this case Bernard) and then local business puts in money for sponsorship etc one of the biggest donors to local RL used to be (And I think still is) Big Mac who owns the local MacDonalds franchises.

I am a fan of Catalan and would love to see another French team in Super League but their recruitment policy is terrible.

For a team that struggles with discipline and professionalism, adding Joel Tomkins and James Maloney was never a recipe for success.  You have to look at more than talent to see if a player with enhance your team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Its simple... when they're on the losing end they want to disrupt the oppositions rhythm. Which you do by "ruffling feathers" Sometimes that will work and sometimes it won't... when it doesn't they look awful.. 

Take away individual bits of sh*thousery like last week.. but the nature of the disrupt idea means those 2 players will be back as they are "good" at disrupting.. 

BTW its a tactic I hate and think it fails more often than it succeeds and there is much more skill in that side than they allow to get played more often than not... 

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

Its simple... when they're on the losing end they want to disrupt the oppositions rhythm. Which you do by "ruffling feathers" Sometimes that will work and sometimes it won't... when it doesn't they look awful.. 

Take away individual bits of sh*thousery like last week.. but the nature of the disrupt idea means those 2 players will be back as they are "good" at disrupting.. 

BTW its a tactic I hate and think it fails more often than it succeeds and there is much more skill in that side than they allow to get played more often than not... 

I remember a few years ago in an NRC cup game at Halifax, fev were getting hammered. About 16-0 down, stu dickens kicked off in a scrum and all hell broke loose. Big scrap .... player either side got yellow and fax an additional red when ashall got sent off. Result = fev won a crazy game. Sometimes disrupting the oppositions rhythm works. 

31 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I remember a few years ago in an NRC cup game at Halifax, fev were getting hammered. About 16-0 down, stu dickens kicked off in a scrum and all hell broke loose. Big scrap .... player either side got yellow and fax an additional red when ashall got sent off. Result = fev won a crazy game. Sometimes disrupting the oppositions rhythm works. 

Common practice in the amateur game although didn’t always work

Yorkshire Amateur Cup final a few years ago so just that happen and if the “underdog” side had had a decent goal kicker they would have won

They’re Jekyll and Hide alright . I never tip them to win anything as you just never know how they’ll turn up . But they’re not the only side in that category , and I’m sure they’re not the only side to get weighed in and disruptive when the game is against them . They do need to address their discipline though - that’s  a connection to their recruitment , which in general needs reassessing I’d say . And they need to improve consistency , but again they’re not the only one . They’re without doubt an asset to the league and have achieved more than many others in recent times , and this year they’ve put in a big logistical effort to keep things going . I’m sure they’ll  assess things , but they need to stop making the same mistakes over and over 

Archived