SKY.....again!

meast

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, meast said:

Is there something in their contracts that they have to call anyone under 22 "Young"?

Every player is referred to as "Young Jack Walker",  "Young Welsby" etc

Yet they don't refer to older players as "Old Roby" etc

Flipping annoying at times!

They kind of do, Old.man such n such,  the old stager,  war horse.

16 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Maybe they need to mix it up and do the Scottish thing of referring to size - e.g. a great breakaway try by Wee Regan Grace after a potential foul on Big Israel Folau.

They need to do something a bit different.

A chip over the top, maybe?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If it’s not age, it’s size they’re obsessed about, particularly O’Connor. 

It’s always big Alex Walmsley or big Sam Kasiano. And if they’re not big, you’ll hear the phrase ‘he’s not the biggest but........’ 

It says a lot about the standard of commentary that they have the inability to talk about the finer skilful elements of the game

38 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It’s always big Alex Walmsley or big Sam Kasiano. And if they’re not big, you’ll hear the phrase ‘he’s not the biggest but........’ 

It says a lot about the standard of commentary that they have the inability to talk about the finer skilful elements of the game

Big and Young, occasionally an "athletic" or "powerful" will slip in there too...

And we all thought Stevo bingo was bad, when it was actually very erudite.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

O'Connor's most aggravating for me and most often said was Frank Paul the Wrecking Ball re F. P. Nu'uausala, he said it everytime he took a pass, made a tackle, was substituted both on and off the field, and even once when he was tying his boot laces, I kid you not.

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

They do it in australia with young tonumaipea

As well as "the Englishman XXXX" and "on dayboo".

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

After Maloney was sin-binned Barry Mac referred to Catalans having to pay with ten men.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

17 hours ago, meast said:

If it means I don't have to listen to "Old O'Connor" and "Old Mcdermott"'s inane babbling then I'm ok with that 🙂

they really annoy my own old un - that is the not so young missus... their dribble is ceaseless,  never ending and I wish some youngster would put an old sock in their boring gobs...

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

As well as "the Englishman XXXX" and "on dayboo".

Yes indeed . The Englishman is an old favourite . I sometimes wonder if they think they’re all related . Kicks being “too big “ is irritating as well

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

A bit of Cockney Rhyming Slang might make it more interesting!

47 minutes ago, daz39 said:

'Young Tom Johnstone - who's 25 years old now' - sure i heard that not so long back

Trust me.....25 is young. Younger than my eldest granddaughter by 4 years.😧

If you don't like the shy commentary, turn the sound down and use the BBC local radio or BBC Five Live/Sports Extra commentary

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

They should mix it up a bit, with 'dashing', or 'handsome' or 'fugly'. 

How about the grotesque Morgan Smithies?  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

O'Connor's most aggravating for me and most often said was Frank Paul the Wrecking Ball re F. P. Nu'uausala, he said it everytime he took a pass, made a tackle, was substituted both on and off the field, and even once when he was tying his boot laces, I kid you not.

And he never even wrecked a ball, even Makinson managed that.

Archived