Boring

GUBRATS

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t find the prospect of a Saints v Wigan GF at all boring. They are hard to separate this year. Next Friday we get to see who’s best. 

We already know, Sam Tomkins made it perfectly clear in his post match interview. Can't say I disagree with him.

The GF will not be boring as a sporting spectacle. If anyone finds familiar clubs being there boring, then you should be arguing to only have clubs in SL with the potential to consistently compete with them at the GF level.

Am I bored of the same three teams winning things? No, but then again, I’m probably going to say that, aren’t I? Or at least, that’s the excuse that will be thrown back at me.

For a start, it’s not quite as clear cut as the same three teams winning things every year. I genuinely have thought for the past 2-3 years that Warrington have, before a game has been played, offered us as much threat as Wigan and I look at their squad on paper and think it could be a Grand Final winning side. I look at Wigan and know what to expect from them, a tough side that know how to win and control key games. I look at Hull, Leeds and Catalans most years and think that they could, if they reach the play-offs, beat anyone on their day. 

It’s also 2008 and 2013 since Saints or Wigan last won the Challenge Cup and even Leeds had gone since 2015 without a Cup trophy before this years final, so there’s more variation there and I thoroughly enjoyed what was a great game between Leeds and Salford this year and enjoyed Catalans’ historic win over Warrington, too, recognising I was watching something that can’t be done again for the first time, seeing a team from outside of England win the cup. The less said about the one in between but that’s because I’m a fan of the losing side, though Warrington were undoubtedly the better side on the day. 

Was I bored of watching Leeds beat Saints on what felt like Groundhog Day? Yes but also no. Yes, because I don’t want to see Saints lose games at the best of times let alone finals every year. However, I witnessed some of the best in their craft at their peaks and as much as it pained me to watch it live, I witnessed Rob Burrow carve through Saints like a hot knife through butter. I also got to watch Jamie Peacock, Danny McGuire, Kevin Sinfield and JJB do their thing and Saints v Leeds games were massive events in those years, they were games I must have been at, nothing was going to stop me from being at Knowsley Road or Headingley live and watching the game, not even appendicitis, which resulted in my stitches bursting at some point during an evening at Headingley and having to go to hospital upon returning to St Helens. The same can be said of Sean O’Loughlin, I can’t wait for him to retire though, he always seems to have a good game against us. 

I tell what does wind me up. Sitting on a cold night watching Saints stick forty plus on a team that struggles to pay 70% of the salary cap in the archaic cycle of the home and away structure that only really suits club chairmen, who demand we must have a certain amount of games so that they can get the financial benefits that thirteen home games a year gets you, while the game as a collective holds genuinely ambitious Championship clubs, your Leigh’s, Featherstone’s and Toulouse’s, at arms bay because the status quo must remain. For me, it’s this that is boring and sterile and infuriating and any other words people want to use to describe successful teams being successful, it’s this that is the game’s “problem”, if we’re calling teams who’ve invested heavily in stuff like stadiums, hospitality, playing staff, training facilities, youth development, coaches etc a problem. Maybe if we didn’t treat ambitious clubs, and I’m talking of your Saints’, Wigan’s, Leeds’, Warrington’s etc here as well as the likes of Leigh, Featherstone, Toulouse, London, Newcastle etc, with contempt, the game would be in a better place. 

It is possible to think it's a bit boring that it's Saints v Wigan as in "oh, those two, again".

But having watched this Saints team and this Wigan team, I'm looking forward to what should hopefully be a superb final.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Same teams again 

We have a salary cap to level the playing field, there was no reason Hull, Warrington or Catalans couldn’t reach the final other than they weren’t good enough. The same 4 clubs regularly win the premier league in football, it’s not harmed them. It’s also not the same teams, it was Salford last year.

From what I saw of the two semis we need to change the rules and have the defense at 15 mètres 😁 the speed at which wigan and saints moved up didn't give the attack any time, at this rate there won't be much rugby played in the final due to there being no space, which goes to show the wrestle or good tackling techniques as some on here say are still dominating the game in super league. 

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't care, the others aren't good enough, they should strive to join the club at the top not bring us down to their level. 

That said Warrington should have won one by now as really should Hull FC and maybe Catalans (who have all won cups).

Unless you disect the cup wins, they can have relitvley easy passages and only really require to be tested for 2 games, not so with winning the GF.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Unless you disect the cup wins, they can have relitvley easy passages and only really require to be tested for 2 games, not so with winning the GF.

Leeds - Hull KR, Wigan, Salford. 

Warrington - Wigan, Hull KR, Hull FC, St Helens. 

Catalans - York, Whitehaven, Huddersfield, St Helens, Warrington. 

Hull - Catalans, Castleford, Leeds, Wigan. 

Hull - St Helens, Catalans, Wigan, Warrington. 

Just for reference, these are the teams the last five winners have had to play. We can agree that Catalans’ first two games were particularly easy but aside from that, I don’t think anyone has had a particularly easy route to the final and the trophy. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's football Hela, thats how.

I can't imagine a bigger waste of 90 mins of life than watching football, but each to their own.

That’s not the point. It’s two of the best teams in their field taking the field, as next week at Hull is going to be. It’s only Rugby League fans that would claim its “boring”. 

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The fact that the 3 most successful sides Wigan,Saints & Leeds usually field teams containing the most homegrown players tells a story,invest in youth.

London does that but the best get cherry picked by the big clubs and the remainder, without class and experience around them won’t win us a GF

Saints and Wigan are likely to be in the majority of Grand Finals for at least the next decade.

They get the best overseas players,the best local and the best academy players.

The only team I can see competing with them is Leeds.

If the salary cap was lifted it at least gives the potential for a money man to come in and chanhg the present imbalance.

Its a shame that the two areas that really matter to the wider sporting British public are too predictable ie international and SL

Archived