Boring

GUBRATS

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I found last year rather dull as a game. A bit like 2017. Only 1 side in it as the other froze like rabbits in headlights. Eminently predictable sadly as the "open play underdog" got taught a lesson in winning a grand final. This year instead was in the balance all the way till literally the final second.

Oh and this year Wigan lost, in truly heartbreaking fashion, which has to be a positive.

Each to their own , last night I drifted off a few times onto this board , as I put , watching defences constantly offside created the game we saw 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I found last year rather dull as a game. A bit like 2017. Only 1 side in it as the other froze like rabbits in headlights. Eminently predictable sadly as the "open play underdog" got taught a lesson in winning a grand final. This year instead was in the balance all the way till literally the final second.

Oh and this year Wigan lost, in truly heartbreaking fashion, which has to be a positive.

This sounds unlikely. I'll have to watch again to check.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Each to their own , last night I drifted off a few times onto this board , as I put , watching defences constantly offside created the game we saw 

Just realised you're the OP. I don't think it would have mattered what kind of game it was. You need to stick with the point you tried to make at the start of the thread

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Just realised you're the OP. I don't think it would have mattered what kind of game it was. You need to stick with the point you tried to make at the start of the thread

I didn't bring the thread back up , comment on their post if you like 

But you admit it wasn't entertaining then , till the last minute 😂

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just watch the last 5 minutes , the rest was essentially 5 drives and a kick 

It wasn't though, was it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm cool with people preferring a more open game with lots of breaks and tries on show. That's a perfectly reasonable preference.

Personally, I love the attritional side of Rugby League as it was played last night with two teams refusing to yield and battling for 80 minutes.  It's why when I try and watch 9's I become bored after a minute... I prefer it when teams earn the right to score tries.

To be honest, I'm not sure the highlights of that game today on the BBC will be great, you have to watch a game like that unfold for 80 minutes to appreciate the sheer will and effort of the players.

So yes, happy for people to have a preference. The only thing I will object to is describing the game last night as lacking quality... nothing could be further from the truth.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm cool with people preferring a more open game with lots of breaks and tries on show. That's a perfectly reasonable preference.

Personally, I love the attritional side of Rugby League as it was played last night with two teams refusing to yield and battling for 80 minutes.  It's why when I try and watch 9's I become bored after a minute... I prefer it when teams earn the right to score tries.

To be honest, I'm not sure the highlights of that game today on the BBC will be great, you have to watch a game like that unfold for 80 minutes to appreciate the sheer will and effort of the players.

So yes, happy for people to have a preference. The only thing I will object to is describing the game last night as lacking quality... nothing could be further from the truth.

I prefer quality on both defence and attack , last night the defence's smothered the attack too much , all IMO of course , other opinions are available 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The only thing I will object to is describing the game last night as lacking quality... nothing could be further from the truth.

Too true.

There is always a kernal of truth in one man's speed of the line in another man's ge'rem onside, and it serves a purpose if you're looking for a problem.

The more objective truth apart from they were both unpenalised last night is that they were more intent on stopping the opposition last night than anything else, and it was odd they were not found out.

Other teams would've had the commentators bemoaning their discipline throughout the game.

It was completely intriguing which one would ...... crack first.

We don't appreciate the different facets of our game enough, nor do appreciate that the game comes in different guises. Expecting everything, everytime is a road to disappointment!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I'd much a prefer a game which both teams smashed each other and keep the intensity up for the full 80 minutes instead of a game which finished 40 - 36 where tries come too easy.

The main reason why we struggle to beat the Aussies is because their defence has usually been better than ours and they keep the intensity up for the whole game.

If more SL clubs played at the level of St Helens and Wigan then the SL would be a better product and it would probably help us win a WC

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

If more SL clubs played at the level of St Helens and Wigan then the SL would be a better product and it would probably help us win a WC

It won't happen but you can always blame the poorer clubs.

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I'd much a prefer a game which both teams smashed each other and keep the intensity up for the full 80 minutes instead of a game which finished 40 - 36 where tries come too easy.

The main reason why we struggle to beat the Aussies is because they're defence has usually been better than ours and they keep the intensity up for the whole game.

I agree, the intensity over the full 80 minutes is what made it such a good game. The only thing missing last night was one world class player who could produce a couple of moments of magic to break the opposition defence

I thought it was a great game to watch as both teams had to work hard to create chances as defences were so good. Everyone would love games to be open and attacking as they were in the past but as teams now have a lot more time to focus on defence than in the past the off the cuff style we grew up won’t be as effective as it once was.

15 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

its a bloke who owns a shopping emporium - obviously 

First you're Ziggy Stardust then Russell Howard? You'll have a cover photo on GQ next!

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Just watch the last 5 minutes , the rest was essentially 5 drives and a kick 

I’m with you, I got bored watching it, very tough and intense yes, entertaining and try lines threatened... not really

Archived