Rugby League Grounds Visited

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

remember standing behind the posts at the ‘top’ end on the photo in a packed house for a challenge cup tie against leeds in the early 1980s.

Is the Minster behind the posts at the top of the picture, if so I stood at the other end.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

4 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Is the Minster behind the posts at the top of the picture, if so I stood at the other end.

It is. A York-Leeds Challenge Cup tie in January 1989 (York's last season at Clarence Street) was switched to Bootham Crescent. Pulled in 11,347.

Some great lists and stories 👍

Mine is I managed to attend 29 of the “old” 30 clubs with Wilderspool being the one not on the list for some strange reason.
Many years later and my first  professional Touch Judge appointment is at Wilderspool albeit Crosfields v Workington in the Challenge Cup

Think I might be the person Hopping Mad referred to

I have added up a total of 121 grounds for top level League but including amateurs I have a total of 488

This is primarily due to the southern sides constantly moving so it includes 6 venues for Birmingham, 8 for Leicester7, 5 for Valley Cougars

As for one offs, Dorbrevice in Czech republic for an international although I think South Birmingham may have only hosted one fixture at Edwardians RU 

Got to 70 but have not been in the UK for the last 20 years which has cost me a lot of visits to new grounds. Some cracking outposts from before then though like Guildford Park, Moss Lane Altrincham, Barnet Copthall (is that Saracens now?), Hendon FC, Crystal Palace, Saltergate, Owlerton, Scarborough, Tynecastle, Firhill.

7 hours ago, The Vet said:

I remember going to Doncaster and they played at a dog track for a season after they left Tattersfield, approx 1996/97

Meadow Court Stadium, Stainforth. Only one side was accessible. I went a couple of times. Dreadful viewing! As with many dog tracks, spectators were either behind glass or, if out in the open, too low down.

Doncaster Dragons' first game there, against York, was 19/11/95 (31-8, 1,240).

Prior to this match, Dragons had played four games at Belle Vue. They went back to BV in 1998.

Meadow Court Stadium is still staging dog racing.

https://www.doncastergreyhoundstadium.co.uk

22718602669_1d0bd142e5_c.jpg

Talking of dog tracks, seem to remember the Hunslet supporters being rather pleased that Blackpool Borough had won at Leeds on one of my visits to Elland Rd greyhound stadium.

Can someone out there please confirm that Blackpool did win at Leeds on the same day Widnes played at Hunslet.

On 29/11/2020 at 15:35, groundhopper said:

Think I might be the person Hopping Mad referred to

I have added up a total of 121 grounds for top level League but including amateurs I have a total of 488

This is primarily due to the southern sides constantly moving so it includes 6 venues for Birmingham, 8 for Leicester7, 5 for Valley Cougars

As for one offs, Dorbrevice in Czech republic for an international although I think South Birmingham may have only hosted one fixture at Edwardians RU 

I haven't included Amateur games, as  played for 14years for my college* team & Irlam Hornets, then another 10 years in London for Ealing.

*Salford used to have a training ground at Davyhulme, and the college used that for some games before they sold it, and we also played at Folly Lane's ground too.

One of the rarer grounds to stage a rugby league match between professional teams must be Penlee Park, home of Penzance Football Club. I've been for football but in 1985 Mansfield Marksman played Carlisle there in a challenge match. Were any posters at the game?

In May 2003, I did see Gateshead Thunder play Workington Town at Monkton Stadium, Jarrow (18-18, 287). Thunder played there a few times, I think, when the International Stadium was unavailable. I'd put forward Monkton (an athletics track) as one of the less common grounds on which I've watched professional rugby league.

3 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

One of the rarer grounds to stage a rugby league match between professional teams must be Penlee Park, home of Penzance Football Club. I've been for football but in 1985 Mansfield Marksman played Carlisle there in a challenge match. Were any posters at the game?

In May 2003, I did see Gateshead Thunder play Workington Town at Monkton Stadium, Jarrow (18-18, 287). Thunder played there a few times, I think, when the International Stadium was unavailable. I'd put forward Monkton (an athletics track) as one of the less common grounds on which I've watched professional rugby league.

Some coach trip that for Carlisle.

Gateshead are not in the same league as London in all their guises for grounds but apart from the International Stadium and Kingston Park, I have seen then at Darlington and South Shields FC and they appear to have also used Blaydon RU,  Percy Park and one in Gateshead. Including Monkton stadium that's 7 at least

That may pit them about level with Oldham but way behind Sheffield. I can think of twelve for them and suspect there are more. This includes Woodlands Road Athletics stadium where only half of one side was available and St Marys College which had  no cover and Dewsbury needed to be persuaded to stay 

As for London, well Fulham, Chelsea, Polytechnic, Charlton, Brentford, Watford ( possibly), Copthall, Crystal Palace athletics, Wealdstone, Hendon, Harleqiuns, Ealing, Barnet plus cup ties at Kingston and Crawley. There were also one off games at Wycombe, Orient and Gillingham, Millwall and a Thursday night at Esher v Catalans. That's 19 or 20

We could also count Aberavon and Newport and I recollect a home game in Perpignan plus matches in c1982 where they played end of season games up north. I don't think any of these were officially on the road games. I can only claim 13 but I know someone who I think would have seen them at all 19 or 20

A Sheffield fan who posts occasionally on here told me Sheffield who has probably dome more than my total, was sure they had played at more venues home and away then any other club, at least in the last 40 years 

33 minutes ago, groundhopper said:

As for London, well Fulham, Chelsea, Polytechnic, Charlton, Brentford, Watford ( possibly), Copthall, Crystal Palace athletics, Wealdstone, Hendon, Harleqiuns, Ealing, Barnet plus cup ties at Kingston and Crawley. There were also one off games at Wycombe, Orient and Gillingham, Millwall and a Thursday night at Esher v Catalans. That's 19 or 20

We could also count Aberavon and Newport and I recollect a home game in Perpignan plus matches in c1982 where they played end of season games up north. I don't think any of these were officially on the road games. I can only claim 13 but I know someone who I think would have seen them at all 19 or 20

Fulham also played a couple of home games at Widnes.

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Also (Just remembered) the on the road match at Leicester Tigers 

Also v Leeds Rhinos 2005 at USAP (Perpignan)  (Should have remembered as I organised it for them) spent the match watching it from the dugout with my daughter Anastasia (Who was 9 at the time) I remember Barry McDermott coming off to be stitched up and Anastasia saying papa this is brilliant its like Friday the 13th movie 🙂

1 hour ago, groundhopper said:

Gateshead are not in the same league as London in all their guises for grounds but apart from the International Stadium and Kingston Park, I have seen then at Darlington and South Shields FC and they appear to have also used Blaydon RU,  Percy Park and one in Gateshead. Including Monkton stadium that's 7 at least

That may pit them about level with Oldham but way behind Sheffield. I can think of twelve for them and suspect there are more. This includes Woodlands Road Athletics stadium where only half of one side was available and St Marys College which had  no cover and Dewsbury needed to be persuaded to stay 

A Sheffield fan who posts occasionally on here told me Sheffield who has probably dome more than my total, was sure they had played at more venues home and away then any other club, at least in the last 40 years 

Great memory there!! I think I've done Craven Cottage, Chelsea, Chiskwick, Hendon, Copthall, Crystal Palace, Charlton, The Stoop and I don't even follow them.

13 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

And one at Wigan, I think. Seem to remember going to watch it (on a very chilly evening)!

Cup tie against Barrow on 26th. February 1986 (we lost 26-14). It was meant to be a home tie for us but had been repeatedly  postponed  and with the next round imminent after the Sunday match was called off the RFL said it had to be played mid week and Wigan was the only option due to their undersoil heating. Also, Atlantisman, I remember the punch ups in the Cardiff game at Stamford Bridge - about the best part of a rather tedious game!

16 hours ago, groundhopper said:

I know the 'rules' often tend to differ on these things, but Gateshead played a 'home' fixture against Leigh at Hilton Park in 2002 (an 82-0 midweek defeat)

Archived