Man Of Steel 2020 : joint winner ??

There may already be plans in the offing anyway, but wouldn't it be a fitting tribute if this year's M-o-S was shared between the actual winner and Rob Burrow ?? Rob Burrows' name isn't on the list of winners from previous years .... It should be, and definitely after the strength & bravery he (and his family) has shown this year .... 

I also think the MOS should be for on field achievements only.

But we do miss a trick by not having a 'spirit of rugby league' style award (like the Helen Rollanson award) at the Man of Steel event.

That would be perfect to recognise people like Rob Burrow for his charity and awareness campaign for MND or Mose Masoe for his immeasurable mental strength in his continued recovery from his injuries or people who give so much to the sport in their community.

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

I also think the MOS should be for on field achievements only.

But we do miss a trick by not having a 'spirit of rugby league' style award (like the Helen Rollanson award) at the Man of Steel event.

That would be perfect to recognise people like Rob Burrow for his charity and awareness campaign for MND or Mose Masoe for his immeasurable mental strength in his continued recovery from his injuries or people who give so much to the sport in their community.

Thats the award they should have created to honour Steve Prescott, because as great a man as he was, and player too, he wasn't quite at that level of the top award.

6 hours ago, Therein73 said:

There may already be plans in the offing anyway, but wouldn't it be a fitting tribute if this year's M-o-S was shared between the actual winner and Rob Burrow ?? Rob Burrows' name isn't on the list of winners from previous years .... It should be, and definitely after the strength & bravery he (and his family) has shown this year .... 

I understand and agree with the sentiment but the man of steel isn’t the right thing to go to Rob Burrow. The man of steel award goes to the best player in Super League and should stay that way.

Burrow has put in some fantastic performances in the Grand Final, the Grand Final man of the match award should be named after him IMO.

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Thats the award they should have created to honour Steve Prescott, because as great a man as he was, and player too, he wasn't quite at that level of the top award.

I said this at the time too, and I'm a huge Prescott fan.

Although he was a "Man of Steel" in description, he wasn't even close to being considered "The Man of Steel" through criteria of the award. Choices shouldn't be made through emotion. We have now set ourselves up for this every time there is a heartbreaking story, and somehow need to justify why one overrides the other. Shouldn't have put ourselves in that position in the first place.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I said this at the time too, and I'm a huge Prescott fan.

Although he was a "Man of Steel" in description, he wasn't even close to being considered "The Man of Steel" through criteria of the award. Choices shouldn't be made through emotion. We have now set ourselves up for this every time there is a heartbreaking story, and somehow need to justify why one overrides the other. Shouldn't have put ourselves in that position in the first place.

Almost like we need an independent commission to name trophies 

10 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Dont be so rediculous how can rob burrow be the best player this year when he hasnt played a game.

This would devalue the trophy

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I understand and agree with the sentiment but the man of steel isn’t the right thing to go to Rob Burrow. The man of steel award goes to the best player in Super League and should stay that way.

Burrow has put in some fantastic performances in the Grand Final, the Grand Final man of the match award should be named after him IMO.

Why rename a trophy that has a name?

Why cant they rename Leeds player of the year the rob burrow trophy, it would be more appropriate.

I wouldn’t object and think that the suggestion shows a generosity of spirit which typifies our game. One thing I think we do well is honour our own, and I think that Rob’s tragic circumstances have already shown again the game’s compassionate side. I trust that we will continue to do the right thing by him and his. 

Agree with a lot of the thoughts so far.

As the Harry Sunderland award is already taken, my suggestion would be to name the Super League trophy itself in his honour.

The grand finalists duelling for the honour of lifting the Rob Burrow trophy would be fitting of his contribution

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

Why rename a trophy that has a name?

Why cant they rename Leeds player of the year the rob burrow trophy, it would be more appropriate.

There are only so many trophies, I think renaming them is fair. In hindsight Harry Sunderland probably wasn’t fitting for the Grand Final mom given he never actually played in one, Burrow has been instrumental in them.

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

Dont be so rediculous how can rob burrow be the best player this year when he hasnt played a game.

This would devalue the trophy

It's "ridiculous" by the way ..... Which I'm pretty sure my post wasn't .... And, was Allan Agar the best player when he won it in '83 ???  I don't mind a considered response ...... Yours, however, is contemptible .....

23 hours ago, Therein73 said:

It's "ridiculous" by the way ..... Which I'm pretty sure my post wasn't .... And, was Allan Agar the best player when he won it in '83 ???  I don't mind a considered response ...... Yours, however, is contemptible .....

What on earth are you wittering on about you fool! 

Go and get a brain

On 22/11/2020 at 14:56, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There are only so many trophies, I think renaming them is fair. In hindsight Harry Sunderland probably wasn’t fitting for the Grand Final mom given he never actually played in one, Burrow has been instrumental in them.

I would prefer to see someone who has made a significant contribution to the game importalised with a trophy named after them, not someone who just got ill,

I know this sounds harsh but its true

16 minutes ago, yipyee said:

What on earth are you wittering on about you fool! 

Go and get a brain

If my use of correctly spelt words and actual facts leaves you confused ..... Then the brain requirement isn't actually mine.... Nice to see Rob Burrow and Mose Masoe get recognition tonight. 

13 hours ago, Therein73 said:

If my use of correctly spelt words and actual facts leaves you confused ..... Then the brain requirement isn't actually mine.... Nice to see Rob Burrow and Mose Masoe get recognition tonight. 

Nice to see them get recognition agreed, glad they didnt get a playing award as neither of them has played!

So your predictive spell check works well done you!

Give yourself a trophy,

Not a RL players one though as these should go to people who have actually played this year

22 hours ago, yipyee said:

I would prefer to see someone who has made a significant contribution to the game importalised with a trophy named after them, not someone who just got ill,

I know this sounds harsh but its true

You sir or madam have just reached the gutter with some of these comments.

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

You sir or madam have just reached the gutter with some of these comments.

No I haven't 

I have just taken the emotion out of the situation

Big decisions should never be taken by emotion alone

Let's face it we are all going to die and for most of us it's not going to be pleasant.

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

No I haven't 

I have just taken the emotion out of the situation

Big decisions should never be taken by emotion alone

Let's face it we are all going to die and for most of us it's not going to be pleasant.

You've not just taken the emotion out of the situation though, you've also taken the battle away.

You make it sound like they got ill and that's the reason why people care. You're ignoring the courage and bravery of these people mentioned in their battle. They haven't just rolled over and died. Positivity, wanting to better their fellow man still, etc. That's why people talk about it. Not because they "got ill."

22 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You've not just taken the emotion out of the situation though, you've also taken the battle away.

You make it sound like they got ill and that's the reason why people care. You're ignoring the courage and bravery of these people mentioned in their battle. They haven't just rolled over and died. Positivity, wanting to better their fellow man still, etc. That's why people talk about it. Not because they "got ill."

There are thousands of people battling through these and other delapidating conditions, its heartbreaking

Theres a difference between supporting people and then giving them an award they dont deserve.

Might as well give the man of steel trophy to vernon kay as hes doing well on im a celebrity

I jest but theres a clear criteria for MOS and these players do not meet that criteria

3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

There are thousands of people battling through these and other delapidating conditions, its heartbreaking

Theres a difference between supporting people and then giving them an award they dont deserve.

Might as well give the man of steel trophy to vernon kay as hes doing well on im a celebrity

I jest but theres a clear criteria for MOS and these players do not meet that criteria

Whilst I agree that the players don't meet the criteria, I think your failure to distinguish the difference between battling an illness/disability and their positivity and efforts in their battle is either incredibly ignorant or downright disrespectful. To try and jest and compare it to someone being in I'm a Celebrity shows how tone-deaf you are.

I think this would be counter-productive and borderline partonising.

I think the whole rugby league community has done a great job acknowledging and supporting him thus far.  But giving him the MOS is a terrible idea.

While we're on the topic, can I just say any "joint-winners" of an award or "co-captains" and all that is stupid.  Not far off getting a medal for participation.

Archived