Should the NRL revert to a two match referee system?

NRL Ref Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should NRL revert to the 2 Ref system?

• Yes, two refs on the park was better!
    • No thank you!
    • Not sure

Oh and other things being considered you might have views on:

Peter V'landys, who has also highlighted the prospect of a major overhaul of scrums next month.

The NRL will also assess a final round rule it trialled allowing the bunker to analyse on-field try decisions while the goalkicker lined up a conversion.

Away from on-field matters, the NRL will be back at the negotiating table with the Rugby League Players Association this week as they seek agreement on a pay deal which would provide certainty over next year's salary cap.

The AFL Players Association last week agreed to a revised Collective Bargaining Agreement which cut nine per cent from total player payments and additional services. But it also came with a reduction to squad sizes, meaning players retained for 2021 would only face a pay decrease of 3.5 per cent.

The NRL has already flagged it won't change squad sizes with V'landys insisting each NRL club will have a top 30 next year.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

The NRL are seeking views from clubs, players, officials and interested parties on whether they should go back to  the two match referee system.

What do you think?

You know Graham went they went back to one ref I wasn`t keen because I was worried that they wouldn`t be able to control the game, however I think now in hindsight, two refs just meant an extra pair of eyes looking for things to pull the play up. Stick with one and let the touchies enter the field of play and help with the 10 metres and the ruck if possible, the bastards stand out there and do ###### all anyway.

Bad news about Gordon, makes you wonder why a bloke with a steady job would get involved in that. Anyway we were a little overdue for a negative headline. My compliments to the Gold Coast . I wonder who`s next, you have to laugh really, two rape trials, now an assistant coach caught up in a drug syndicate, nothing by halves in RL. Some people might say we punch above our weight in the scandals department.

The biggest advantage of the second ref behind the ruck is that they are better able to ensure the PTBs are legal. And their communication with the lead ref helps players involved in the tackle and ruck know what`s required. Everything therefore ought to be cleaner and more technically efficient.

It isn`t relevant to the NRL where every game is televised, but I`d like to know how two-ref remuneration compares to non-TV games with in-goal judges. i.e. do we pay more or less to 5 officials in the form of 1 ref, 2 touch judges, and 2 in-goal judges, than to 2 refs and 2 touch judges? Another merit of the second ref is that it dispenses with the in-goal judges who really are ciphers for 99% of the game.

The play of the ball issue has very quickly taken hold. The NRL used to be a fine example to SL showing how it should be done. Now it’s more or less as bad. I don’t see that as justifying bringing back two refs. The current team of officials can police it better IMO.

I can see that two pairs of eyes in different parts of the field will see more and may be produce more accurate decisions, but when we had that the result was often, as The Rocket says, a breaking up of the game. On some occasions they actually spoilt the game completely.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

You know Graham went they went back to one ref I wasn`t keen because I was worried that they wouldn`t be able to control the game, however I think now in hindsight, two refs just meant an extra pair of eyes looking for things to pull the play up. 

This is precisely why I prefer 2 refs. A second ref who is continuously involved is less likely to be looking for reasons to join the party.

A lot of phantom forward passes and knock-ons are called by touch judges. If the practice is "if in doubt, call it", there`s a lot more doubt from 30m away. When a touchie calls a mid-field short pass as forward, it`s pure guesswork. Truth is, he has no idea whether it was slightly forward, slightly backward, or level. He`s just been given a responsibility and is eager to use it. The same applies to knock-ons. The effect is to deter players from passing and being creative.

My view of touch judges is that in general they should stick to matters relating to the touch line. Other than that, just enjoy the fresh air and exercise, and keep out of it.

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

My view of touch judges is that in general they should stick to matters relating to the touch line. Other than that, just enjoy the fresh air and exercise, and keep out of it.

You’ll be glad to know they largely agree with officiating by this philosophy as well ....I’ll raise my flag when I need to , other that don’t ask me even if I’m standing two inches away from a try 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

You’ll be glad to know they largely agree with officiating by this philosophy as well ....I’ll raise my flag when I need to , other that don’t ask me even if I’m standing two inches away from a try 

But as far as tv games go, the Video Ref always calls the touch judge calls, even when the touchie has a good view.  So he is semi redundant.

On 22/11/2020 at 12:53, Graham said:

Oh and other things being considered you might have views on:

Peter V'landys, who has also highlighted the prospect of a major overhaul of scrums next month.

The NRL will also assess a final round rule it trialled allowing the bunker to analyse on-field try decisions while the goalkicker lined up a conversion.

Away from on-field matters, the NRL will be back at the negotiating table with the Rugby League Players Association this week as they seek agreement on a pay deal which would provide certainty over next year's salary cap.

The AFL Players Association last week agreed to a revised Collective Bargaining Agreement which cut nine per cent from total player payments and additional services. But it also came with a reduction to squad sizes, meaning players retained for 2021 would only face a pay decrease of 3.5 per cent.

The NRL has already flagged it won't change squad sizes with V'landys insisting each NRL club will have a top 30 next year.

Keep scrums with proper forwards  in 

The analysing try decisions after the call is a complete no brainer . Those games were a breath of fresh air as a viewing spectacle 

Keep one referee 

On 23/11/2020 at 04:16, DoubleD said:

No, 2 refs was a waste of time and money 

One  reason why 2 refs were introduced was due to a study where heart monitors were worn and results showed that with the speeding up of the game a single ref in the NRL was showing extreme heart rates particularly in warm conditions.Hence a safety issue for refs which has  somewhat been lost in the current debate.

As mentioned the PTB area has gone backwards with only one referee although as has been pointed out many times the women's game manages to adhere to the PTB rule with only 1 ref and almost 100% compliance.

No  scrums for NRL as I prefer the current SL model.

6 again rule is far too inconsistent from game to game and ref to ref.

Captains challenge is far too popular in the NRL to be dropped.

Archived