Fri 27 Nov: SL Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/20 at 20:30

Cant wait for this one, should be a cracking game and i cant work out if saints speed will outsmart the beef of wigan upfront, whos gonna come out full belt and try blast other side off park. couple a players going to have to play at their best and stand out today.

beers cooling.pork chops ready to go under grill, BRING IT ON.:kolobok_santa3: saints by 8.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game day!!! Well after a miserable 2020, here's hoping it's a cracker with 34 players going hell for leather in a high quality, clean, tight game regardless of the result. I must admit I'd lost interest for a while this year but the intensity of the Wigan game a few weeks back and our semi performance against Catalans are more like the sport I know. Hopefully Jammer has one last big performance in him as well but regardless it's been one hell of a career. It's just a shame we're not there to see it tonight.

Will be staying well away from social media for it, hopefully you lot can manage more than two minutes without complaining about Kendall missing Wigan high shots and Saints being offside 😀

46 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Yes, sub v Hull. Then missed Lions Tri Nations tour after suffering post-game celebrations injury.

Lost 5 in a row (2007-11) and lost with Dogs in 2012 & 2014. Must be due a win ?

I admit I'm slightly invested in him losing. Seems a shame we have to have one retiree be on the losing side.

1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

He won it in 2006 didn't he?

Yep. Whilst the run of GF losses clouds judgement, James Graham has won every trophy in the domestic UK game and all bar one on several occasions (plus Man of Steel). It's a record that many would envy.

There is another difference of course between Graham and Lockers, and that is that Lockers was a one club man, and lasted longer. That said, I can’t split them in terms of talent and contributions to the game. They deserved 70,000 there to see them, but once it starts I doubt they will even notice the difference in the heat of battle. If we keep the same line speed as the last few games, then Lockers stands every chance of signing off in style. 

End of an era and a sharp contrast between James Graham who started out at St Helens, and proved his worth in the NRL and one club man Sean O'Loughin. You can debate the merits of both until the cows come home but one thing is for sure, Graham has the better rep Internationally becuuse of where he played and since their careers have covered Super League's decline in competitiveness relative to the NRL . It's a sure bet that there will not be another "lockers" style player sticking with the one club in the Northern Hemisphere for his entire career. More young and talented  players will take James Graham's career path down under. For you want to be the best in whatever you do and that means playing with and testing yourself against against the best.

The game - well Wigan obviously...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I'll go a step further and say it's an absolutely beautiful day in Hull right now, Sun is belting out it's rays. Hope it keeps clear and dry and we have perfect conditions for this evening's spectacle.

Aye, not a cloud in the sky and barely a breath of wind means it'll be bloody freezing at the KCOM later but conditions should be excellent for the game.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

38 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Wigan’s defence in the last few weeks has been outstanding, if they repeat that tonight then there’s only one winner.

I've gone for Wigan based purely on that Derwent, apart from the CC semi it's been first class. Saints might find it hard against a defence that's rock solid. 

I'm hoping for a match as hard and intense as the last Derby. That was ace.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Szymala said:

Yes, sub v Hull. Then missed Lions Tri Nations tour after suffering post-game celebrations injury.

Lost 5 in a row (2007-11) and lost with Dogs in 2012 & 2014. Must be due a win ?

Hope not, there was one game against Leeds where he wouldn't shake hands with any of the Leeds players miserable sod.

I’ve seen some Saints fans this year say that this one doesn’t mean as much and that it’s an asterisked title but I’ve never felt that, I think whoever wins, it means more given the sacrifices everyone’s made this year and the short turnarounds teams have faced at different points of the year. It most certainly feels the same as any other final we’ve been in, minus the not being able to physically be there. 

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve seen some Saints fans this year say that this one doesn’t mean as much and that it’s an asterisked title but I’ve never felt that, I think whoever wins, it means more given the sacrifices everyone’s made this year and the short turnarounds teams have faced at different points of the year. It most certainly feels the same as any other final we’ve been in, minus the not being able to physically be there. 

Exactly that couldn't agree more. Mates of mine not all Rhinos fans said the same about the challenge cup. Best two teams in the league this year by a country mile shame someone has to be a loser. 

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Wigan’s defence in the last few weeks has been outstanding, if they repeat that tonight then there’s only one winner.

I think this is the perceived wisdom.  But Saints have a string of good backs.   I think thos is why its an interesting game.  Both teams look solid, and both look dangerous.  But assuming neither teams are played out both should have the energy.  Partly I think this is because we have not been over played this season.  18 games, and some rest before the Semis.  

I think this should be remembered.  There will be still a lot of games next season.  A minimum of 28 in I believe 31 weeks.

Been watching the game since the mid 1950,s and still don't have a clue who will win.Wigans defence has been terrific but can they keep it up for 80min if Saints throw the ball about.Saints i think have the more consistant goal kicker which could prove crucial.Hope it does our game proud and may the best team on the night win.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Okay down to serious business...

...what is everyone eating and drinking to enjoy the match?

Pre match: Chippy tea for me (Fish, chips, mushy peas and curry sauce all wrapped separately)

First half: Cup of Yorkshire tea (no sugar)

Second half:  Belgian IPA from Aldi

Food: I have a Sri Lankan-style chicken pizza (saw it while browsing Morrison's and couldn't imagine what it would be like), plus Lorenz peanut puffs for snackage. The latter are like Wotsits, only without the fluorescent cheese and with a mild roast peanut flavour. 

Drink: In the house, I have two bottles of white wine (Grenache blanc & Chardonnay), one red (French Malbec), two bottles of Innis & Gunn rum cask aged beer and some Bombay Dry gin + tonic water and Angostura bitters.

I think I'll survive... or I'll fall asleep well before KO and wake up in time for The Last Leg.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pre match: Chippy tea for me (Fish, chips, mushy peas and curry sauce all wrapped separately)

You're right, GR, this is the important bit.

Mrs WWD is cooking a sweet and sour dish, using individual ingredients, not a jar of made-up sauce.  I am lucky to have a brilliant cook as my life partner, but then her mum did run a cafe in Skipton, which is where we first met!

I have made my regular, Friday afternoon journey to the Downton Brewery off-licence for my 4 pints of real ale (two tonight, two tomorrow)  Pleasant surprise when I got my loyalty card out; I was due a free four pints, after ten purchases!  I have opted for the New Forest Ale today; a quite dark, session beer.

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

You're right, GR, this is the important bit.

Mrs WWD is cooking a sweet and sour dish, using individual ingredients, not a jar of made-up sauce.  I am lucky to have a brilliant cook as my life partner, but then her mum did run a cafe in Skipton, which is where we first met!

I have made my regular, Friday afternoon journey to the Downton Brewery off-licence for my 4 pints of real ale (two tonight, two tomorrow)  Pleasant surprise when I got my loyalty card out; I was due a free four pints, after ten purchases!  I have opted for the New Forest Ale today; a quite dark, session beer.

Superb on all fronts!

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Food: I have a Sri Lankan-style chicken pizza (saw it while browsing Morrison's and couldn't imagine what it would be like), plus Lorenz peanut puffs for snackage. The latter are like Wotsits, only without the fluorescent cheese and with a mild roast peanut flavour. 

Drink: In the house, I have two bottles of white wine (Grenache blanc & Chardonnay), one red (French Malbec), two bottles of Innis & Gunn rum cask aged beer and some Bombay Dry gin + tonic water and Angostura bitters.

I think I'll survive... or I'll fall asleep well before KO and wake up in time for The Last Leg.

An absolute professional job of preparation with bonus marks for the use of the word ‘snackage’! 🙂

Thatchers Gold and a chicken curry,hoping Wigan don’t blow as hot & cold as me later.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

An absolute professional job of preparation with bonus marks for the use of the word ‘snackage’! 🙂

I'm not sure which is causing the most trepidation; the pizza or the GF!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

first gf i will miss as i usually attend the game or watch it in a bar or pub with mates to make an event of it, cant go round to a mates house who has sky either so like every thing else this year its a write off

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived