Fri 27 Nov: SL Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/20 at 20:30

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

There is mate. My 14 day self isolation finishes at midnight, so at least I can go out tomorrow, even if it's only to go shopping.

Ah... shopping.  That 20 minutes of visceral excitement and tension in the co-op.  

11 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

40-- 50 years from now people will still be talking about the Welsby Grand Final in the same hushed tones as the watersplash Challenge Cup final in 1968.

It's going to simplify coaching kids for years to come as well.

"Do you know why you never switch off, and always keep working? This."

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Loved the post-match. Such warmth.
You Northern folk are alright. 

Exactly, don't judge Northerners by the standard set by those Yorkshire twohats, the majority are sound.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The ball bounced 'sideways'. 

The drop was on/off side, the touch down just did it in millimetres.   It was a fluke.  But its on the scoreboard.  

Dampen! Oh do grow up.  When your team lost, to a fluke, I think one can be entitled to be damp.  Especially when earlier Hasings tackle was not a foul.  Far worse was allowed by both sides.

Wigan should not have gone for the attempted goal, but gone for another 6.  Then it would have probably gone to golden point (assuming Wigan had not got a drop themselves) ...  and that would have been unsatisfactory as well.

Little between both sides.  I would have expected Saints to be more dangerous with their backs.  But Wigan looked better out on the wings.  So the game opposite to what I expected.

Yes, dampen. You called it a joke. If that's not dampening, I don't know what is.

Grow up? This post sounds more and more like a tantrum!

Some many parts to that final try made it more than just luck. There was luck, but you create your own luck in sport. They still had to take the shot, and they still had to chase the ball, and he still needed to put it down before going over the dead ball line. It was an amazing piece of skill to end the game. I understand you're upset, but don't diminish the efforts as a fluke and a joke. When you've settled down after the first settles, I think you'll realise that those comments were grossly unfair.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yes, dampen. You called it a joke. If that's not dampening, I don't know what is.

Grow up? This post sounds more and more like a tantrum!

Some many parts to that final try made it more than just luck. There was luck, but you create your own luck in sport. They still had to take the shot, and they still had to chase the ball, and he still needed to put it down before going over the dead ball line. It was an amazing piece of skill to end the game. I understand you're upset, but don't diminish the efforts as a fluke and a joke. When you've settled down after the first settles, I think you'll realise that those comments were grossly unfair.

If it had happened in the middle of the game it would hardly be commented on other than why didn't French slap it dead.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I wish, just a tad too young although I once worked with a lad who was at the Blackpool gig that was filmed.

Seen some genuine footage of Spike Island on YouTube. 

Intended to go to tribute event this year celebrating 30 years but covid put paid to that idea. 

Didn't go in 1990 either but a pal remembers Manchester going mental on the day of the gig. Life defining. Seminal. 

A bit like tonight's game in reality❓

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Didn't really enjoy the game , it was a bit rubbish , not really a fan of the ' intensity ' hype , but the finish was fantastic , be interesting if they show it on the news 

Leigh v Hunslet would have been better tbf. 

Absolutely gutted by how that ended. Probably the best Grand Final I've ever seen. I suppose there was always going to be a huge defining moment in the game - but for it to come in the last seconds. That's hard to take.

So much credit must go to the players for what they've put themselves through this year. Also to the coaching and backroom staff at all the clubs too. They had to put the effort in to allow us all to see an amazing Grand Final.

It feels like we made some costly mistakes but we win and lose as a team. Hardaker's decision to go for the 2 seemed misguided at the time but it's easier to say that confidently in hindsight. And Saints still had to go up the other end of the field to get the winner. Just as crucial was Smithies penalty just before half time. A very silly decision and he's learnt the hard way. The penalty against Hastings was tough to take too. He made a cracking tackle at a time when Saints were in great position. That was cruel, but ultimately the ref will make a mistake in big games too.

It was a fitting final game for both Graham and O'Loughlin. With them both bowing out at the same time in a Grand Final it just had to be an incredible game.

Looking back over the whole of the season and what happened tonight I'm delighted with Wigan's season. I didn't expect a trophy from us this year. Compared to Saints we've had a bit more disruption and half way through the year I didn't think we'd be able to compete with them that well. Considering our marquee signing has been basically unable to play properly, our signing to strengthen the pack (Clark) hasn't worked out at all, our best performing prop was injured for the end of the season (Havard), our two first choice wingers were out injured and then Flower got injured in the semi final - I think the team has done so well to reach that standard. It's really promising for next year that there's so much room to strengthen. It's depressing to lose a Grand Final in such a way, but the bigger picture is we've still got our sport and our teams after what has been an horrendous year.

I don't know how I'm going to cope until March.

Archived