Fri 27 Nov: SL Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/20 at 20:30

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, M j M said:

Just had a peak at wiganwarriorsfans.com

Measured and magnanimous are not words to use to describe the reaction.

Sorry mate, but it serves you right for being daft enough to go over there in the first place.

Next time you think of doing that, just give it a swerve instead.

That was a brutal way to lose a match. We can walk tall though, we dug deep. Congratulations to St Helens, they stuck at it, and gave themselves a chance to win. Winning the league is a considerable consolation, and we have recruited really well for next year (and our young lads have plenty of improvement in them). We can reflect on the heartbreak, and come back stronger. 

The Rob Burrow segment was truly moving. What a man, it seems so unfair. 

So, that’s it for TGG for 2020. We needed it more than ever, and the players stood tall.

3 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Seen some genuine footage of Spike Island on YouTube. 

Intended to go to tribute event this year celebrating 30 years but covid put paid to that idea. 

Didn't go in 1990 either but a pal remembers Manchester going mental on the day of the gig. Life defining. Seminal. 

A bit like tonight's game in reality❓

If I'm not making it up I saw their final gig in 96. Which is more than I've seen of this game. No Pub No Game. The most I've seen was on the Johnny Vegas twitter post. Can't remember if I've missed one before but I've messed up tonight by the sounds of it.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

That was a brutal way to lose a match. We can walk tall though, we dug deep. Congratulations to St Helens, they stuck at it, and gave themselves a chance to win. Winning the league is a considerable consolation, and we have recruited really well for next year (and our young lads have plenty of improvement in them). We can reflect on the heartbreak, and come back stronger. 

The Rob Burrow segment was truly moving. What a man, it seems so unfair. 

So, that’s it for TGG for 2020. We needed it more than ever, and the players stood tall.

I think you will find saints won the league though, I know this I just watched it 😂😂

Nice try though.

Better luck next year, you didnt deserve to loose

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Leigh v Hunslet would have been better tbf. 

Unfair Eddie , it was the proverbial ' arm wrestle ' , it just doesn't excite me , just the way it is , that's probably why I can't keep interest in most NRL games I try to watch , I prefer a more open attacking game 

I don't understand the flack for going for 2 at the end. I'd have made the same call.

It's easy in hindsight to say it was the wrong call, but they could have set up for a drop goal and knocked on in the build up to it. People would then be saying that should have gone for 2.

They were just unlucky.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Hehe. Don’t go there. I’m not in the part where they seemingly lick each other’s faces in the street. That’s east Kent.

We are 2 miles from Kent (and a similar distance from East and West Sussex). There is a row of cottages near us which starts in Surrey and ends in Kent... the world’s gone mad. (And I am reminded that Wigan is in 3 and St Helens in 2. Which is just as well as we have nothing to celebrate.)

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Unfair Eddie , it was the proverbial ' arm wrestle ' , it just doesn't excite me , just the way it is , that's probably why I can't keep interest in most NRL games I try to watch , I prefer a more open attacking game 

I agree, 

If were not carefull they may introduce 2 extra players onto the pitch to clear out the ruck when players flop on and hold down. This is what leads to the arm wrestle!

The game may end up going full circle

Honestly, if you could write how to win a Final, that would be it, wouldn’t it? Against your biggest rivals, game all tied up, zero seconds on the clock and a local lad scores the winning try. The only thing that was missing was fans. 

What a game though. I know we’re quick as a collective to say “we’ve the best sport in the world” and I think sometimes we’re more than premature to say that and sometimes we come across as arrogant and a bit daft but honestly, when we get matches like that, I think we’ve got a pretty good reason to shout from the rooftops. 

Saints the victors and probably on the balance of it, a tiny bit more deserving but we share that victory with Rugby League, which won just as much tonight. 

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don't understand the flack for going for 2 at the end. I'd have made the same call.

It's easy in hindsight to say it was the wrong call, but they could have set up for a drop goal and knocked on in the build up to it. People would then be saying that should have gone for 2.

They were just unlucky.

I agree, it was kickable and the kick had the legs.

You nudge a free kick over and would then get the ball back again which also eats the clock.

The one to blame was French, no time left in the game and he left the ball to bounce out to prevent the drop out that would never have happened with no time left.

That ball should have been in row Z

5 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The kick for 2 was possible but unlikely given Hardaker's failure to reach from the touchline.

A kick to the corner and set up for a DG was not certain but probable.

Neither team deserved to lose but this was why one of them did.

I've watched an enormous amount of big sporting occasions over the years - pretty much all of them it feels like - and that will be one of those that stays with you forever. 

Gripping game, astonishing finish, and then almost overwhelming emotion from players, coaches and even commentators afterwards. After the year from hell, it meant more than anyone realised. 

Rugby league, we scrub up well when we want to. 

11 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

They were just unlucky.

I agree, going for the two was correct. Hardaker is good enough to have kicked it. 

To those that didn't enjoy that, you are watching the wrong sport.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

I agree, going for the two was correct. Hardaker is good enough to have kicked it. 

I disagree, at the time I said it was risky and would give Saints the ball. Hardaker isn't the greatest of kickers and his percentage isn't up in the top bracket.

Don't know who made the call but it was the wrong one.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

I disagree, at the time I said it was risky and would give Saints the ball. Hardaker isn't the greatest of kickers and his percentage isn't up in the top bracket.

Don't know who made the call but it was the wrong one.

It's all about opinions. If he had have kicked it we wouldn't probably be discussing it. But I can see your point of view as well.

Archived