Fri 27 Nov: SL Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/20 at 20:30

12 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Hardaker has been our best centre this year and one of our best players. In fact there aren't many centres in Super League I'd swap Hardaker for. He's been strong in attack and defence and is one of the key reasons our defence has been so strong this year, especially out wide.

Bibby had his chance at centre but he couldn't force himself into the position because he didn't play well enough. He was nowhere near as good as Hardaker or Gildart. He only made the side because of injuries to Manfredi and Marshall and was playing on the wing because we didn't really have anyone else.

There'd be no reason to put Bibby at centre instead of Hardaker when he hasn't played anywhere near as good as Hardaker did in that position. Bibby is also far more experienced as a winger than Hardaker, given Bibby has played most of his career on the wing, unlike Hardaker.

Far from being strange coaching it was the only sensible choice.

Will agree there aren't many centre's in SL and Hardaker is one of those  take a look at the NRL if you want to compare what centre play should be like.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HRH Lord Snooty said:

Don’t have Sky and thanks to the pandemic I couldn’t watch the game at my usual pub. Do the BBC show the full game by any chance? Would be nice to experience the match in its entirety.
Thanks to both teams for a piece of sporting history. Even had a couple of my football crazy friends (southerners) commenting on the level of intensity and full-blooded commitment shown by both teams. Such a pity the stadium didn’t have a full house to witness the game.

Me as well. Its torture reading these responses. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I didn't watch the game, was just following on the text. If he scored under the posts on full time how did it finish 8-4? Did they decline the kick or miss the goal? 

They declined the kick

2 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Definitely agree, thought the stadium looked fantastic. The tremendous effort to compliment the event certainly paid off, exceptional spectacle.

Wouldn't mind this being the venue for future Grand Finals. 👍

Capacity of the ground is only around 25,500 which would be a major downside compared to OT.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So no onrushing defence especially in a game as tense as this one? The defending team will just stand back and admire the effort. 

No, but they never can get to you in time if you set up properly, incidentally which Saints didn't do, by being on your kickers side with blockers and a good 17m+ between the kicker and the defensive line - especially when, like Wigan had, the defenders were on the ropes.

Its as easy as a drop goal can be.

59 minutes ago, dkw said:

Its pretty pathetic isn't it, made worse by if this had been an NRL final I guarantee many would be saying it was a classic, a war of attrition, such high intensity blah blah blah....

Not me DK , I've tried watching the NRL , but far too often I get bored with the % game played 

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So no onrushing defence especially in a game as tense as this one? The defending team will just stand back and admire the effort. 

Yes we can re-live the 1982 & 86 Kangaroo tours, Oh, what fun that one way street was!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Saints have to start realising their end of set attacking kicking game has been totally ineffective.

Never quite understood how Farges gets a game each week. He's not that good.

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will agree there aren't many centre's in SL and Hardaker is one of those  take a look at the NRL if you want to compare what centre play should be like.

Spare us all the NRL fanboys.   You are the one saying you would not watch Leigh if there was no P&R. But here you are cheerleading for NRL... who don't have P&R!

Just now, Loiner said:

Yes everyone used to say that about Kevin Sinfield too!

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Which says a lot about his signing or Wigan doesn't it?

We needed cover going into this season. French was expected to play fullback but could possibly have been used in the halves. Burgess was out of form. Gildart was injured. I think we basically sold Sarginson to save money and brought in someone who is cheaper with potential. 

There's still potential for Bibby to be a good player. Bit of improvement needed. Can't help but think he'd make a better forward than a back though. Not exactly blessed with lightning pace or great footwork but he's a good tackler and can be difficult to bring down when he gets into contact.

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Spare us all the NRL fanboys.   You are the one saying you would not watch Leigh if there was no P&R. But here you are cheerleading for NRL... who don't have P&R!

But he has no emotional attachment , do you ever watch football ? 

1 minute ago, EagleEyePie said:

We needed cover going into this season. French was expected to play fullback but could possibly have been used in the halves. Burgess was out of form. Gildart was injured. I think we basically sold Sarginson to save money and brought in someone who is cheaper with potential. 

There's still potential for Bibby to be a good player. Bit of improvement needed. Can't help but think he'd make a better forward than a back though. Not exactly blessed with lightning pace or great footwork but he's a good tackler and can be difficult to bring down when he gets into contact.

Judging by the logistical gymnastics there you're already in charge of Warrior's recruitment !

Thanks for Sarge though.

6 minutes ago, Loiner said:

I suppose in a salary capped sport you have to accept some players that are solid and do a job will be necessary. Lomax and Coote weren't particularly special either.

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

If I had a pound for every time O’Connor said quality in a game I’d be in the Sunday Times rich  list 

My missus just said the same thing, it's about time they got rid of them both.

8 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Which says a lot about his signing or Wigan doesn't it?

Do you remember there was intended to be a Reserve competition? 

Wigan had 2 first choice wingers injured, so someone had to be put there. Hindsight is wonderful.  Bibby had been playing very well both defensively and in attack well once he got in.  Hankinson of course is a good goalkicker, but never had a chance to be established.

14 hours ago, snapski said:

Ha ha. Hardaker misses the kick to win it. Aaron Bower going on about redemption. That’s it. Now cost 2 clubs in a Grand Final.

What makes you think you would have beaten Leeds with him playing ?

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose in a salary capped sport you have to accept some players that are solid and do a job will be necessary. Lomax and Coote weren't particularly special either.

Saints made steady progress through their 6s, more than Wigan.  They seemed to rely on kicks for corners and Wigan nullified that. Otherwise I was really surprised that their backs did not move the ball with any enterprise. 

Saints need to get Walmsley fit and they will hope their incoming replacements will improve their pack.  I've said it before, Saints are a flat track bully.  Other SL clubs need to learn the lessons from last nights game

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I thought Lomax was one of Saints best last night.  His passing game was accurate as usual, he put in a few dangerous kicks that earned repeat sets and as the game wore on he ran the ball more and looked like one of the most likely candidates to make a decisive break.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Its pretty pathetic isn't it, made worse by if this had been an NRL final I guarantee many would be saying it was a classic, a war of attrition, such high intensity blah blah blah....

There is a WN7 connection to the naysayers.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

34 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Do you remember there was intended to be a Reserve competition? 

Wigan had 2 first choice wingers injured, so someone had to be put there. Hindsight is wonderful.  Bibby had been playing very well both defensively and in attack well once he got in.  Hankinson of course is a good goalkicker, but never had a chance to be established.

I think you're coming at this from the wrong direction.

Wigan signed a center for this season, then move a full-back to center to accomodate someone who was finding it difficult to find a position that suited him.

All of this just suggests an embarassment of riches, options and an over subscribed squad.

Archived