Any fans of

1 minute ago, langpark said:

Anyone remember Blackpool Panthers? Did anything happen there after they disappeared? Even an amateur or junior team? 

I'm sure there's still an amateur club there.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Supporter of Chorley/Lancashire Borough/Chieftans/Lynx. 

I watched the club in all their different incarnations.

16 years since they became defunct but I still miss watching them.

Why didn’t they change their name to Preston when they played at deepdale?

along with bolton it puzzles me how RL never really took of in Preston. Even at amateur level. Are there even any amateur teams in either Preston or bolton?

Great memories of seeing all those clubs and especially a couple of great trips to McLaren field to watch Bramley play town. My guess is once a club leaves the game the majority of its supporters drift away too. I agree about the lack of a club in the Preston/Blackpool and even Blackburn/Burnley area,surely these areas would be ideal places to try to grow the sport

1 minute ago, Route66 said:

Great memories of seeing all those clubs and especially a couple of great trips to McLaren field to watch Bramley play town. My guess is once a club leaves the game the majority of its supporters drift away too. I agree about the lack of a club in the Preston/Blackpool and even Blackburn/Burnley area,surely these areas would be ideal places to try to grow the sport

Even at amateur/grassroots level. Throw in lancaster and bury too.

42 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Weren’t they also known as the prescot panthers?

Yes. Think the list of names is Huyton, Runcorn Highfield, Sutton Highfield, Highfield, then Prescot Panthers. 

22 minutes ago, langpark said:

I think Bury Broncos have a decent set up don't they?

Chorley have as well. If the RFL had any money they should be focusing on those towns just outside the heartlands where there’s no rugby Union culture imho. 

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

RL seemed more progressive back in the 80’s&90’s regrading expansion inside and outside of the heartlands.

really miss the border raiders if I’m honest.

Since 2000 we’ve had Blackpool, Gateshead Thunder, London Skolars, Hemel, Coventry, Gloucestershire All Golds, Oxford, South Wales, Celtic Crusaders, North Wales Crusaders, Catalans Dragons, Toulouse Olympique and Toronto Wolfpack brought in. We’ve had teams from Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France, Russia and Serbia take part in the Challenge Cup. 

I think it’s a disservice to say the game isn’t that progressive anymore. 

North Sydney Bears...yes the Mighty Bears. While some might say there is still a team under that name playing in the NSW league.... as a farm team for NRL teams, the Bears were sacrificed to save that lot from the northern beaches.

whats the difference between an egg and a sunday afternoon watching the Bears play at North Sydney Oval? 

You can beat an egg.

Huyton...........................at Alt Park. You can still see today  where the pitch was, it`s still a grass area , and the end terrace and remnants of the `stand`. Other end is a kids playground and the clubhouse a sort of one stop centre I think.

7 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

North Sydney Bears...yes the Mighty Bears. While some might say there is still a team under that name playing in the NSW league.... as a farm team for NRL teams, the Bears were sacrificed to save that lot from the northern beaches.

whats the difference between an egg and a sunday afternoon watching the Bears play at North Sydney Oval? 

You can beat an egg.

In an ideal world the bears should be in the NRL representing the North Sydney and northern beaches area playing out of the North Sydney oval.

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I'm a (an ex-) fan of Cardiff Blue Dragons, Bridgend Blue Dragons, South Wales RL club, Celtic Crusaders (Bridgend), South Wales Scorpions and West Wales Raiders. Finally, the good people of Wales are building the game from the ground up.

What about South Wales Ironmen?  Interesting board of directors.Didn't last the season at Merthyr Tydfil.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Why didn’t they change their name to Preston when they played at deepdale?

along with bolton it puzzles me how RL never really took of in Preston. Even at amateur level. Are there even any amateur teams in either Preston or bolton?

They wanted to appeal to "Lancashire" fans, including remnants of the Blackpool and Chorley clubs.

Never been any RL in Preston, was amateur RL in Bamber Bridge in the 80's/90's, plus we have Leyland Warriors 6 miles to the south, they are a stable club with decent facilities. Bit of a hybrid RL/RU set up with both for men and women at open age but the junior teams are all RL I think.

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

For me Scarborough and Blackpool could have had ample marketing qualities least of all a weekend on the coast. Only seen Runcorn and Scarborough I think. Northern played them in Challenge Cup in their only year.

Imagine if Scarborough launched in the summer rugby era. It would have helped the marketability no end. 

Archived