Wakefield Stadium???

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plans include:

• Construction of a new 2,500-seater East Stand to include a large hospitality/conferencing facility
  • Refurbishment the existing “Rollin Shack” to provide a multi-functional leisure space including a café and club retail facility
  • Renovation of the North Stand terracing providing an upgrade to spectator amenity in that part of the ground and an increase overall ground capacity
  • An upgrade of the existing floodlights to latest LED technology
  • Installation of a 4G pitch suitable for all weather use by both club and the community
  • Creation of landscaped car parking and a FanZone behind the new East Stand

The cost of the works will be funded by a significant contribution from Newmarket Lane Ltd, a joint venture between Yorkcourt Developments and Henry Boot Plc, via a S106 contribution and other private funds facilitated by the Club’s shareholders.

Not sure if the 4G pitch is to replace the current pitch, I don't think there's enough room behind to install a training field?

Also not sure how the club will operate whilst renovation takes place.

Its unclear exactly what the renovations for the northstand are, but hopefully it is a facelift for the whole stand.

Also the big thing is its great that Yorkcourt are funding it!

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Will be sad to lose the Belle Vue we have now and it’s character but it’s not conducive for top level sport anymore and does need a rebuild. I hope it comes off, I like a trip to Wakefield. 

By the looks of it its only really the 1 East stand being changed (the north stand seems to be a facelift so turnstyles and drainage etc). So its not all change.

I actually don't mind the loss of what is being proposed. Unlike Cas the stadium hasn't got that same tight packed feeling/atmosphere to compensate for its age. I'm glad they are taking this redevelopment approach and going stand by stand. 

Couldn't tell what, if anything, they're planning for the opposite West Stand, where the TV set up usually is, or the set of corporate stuff at the Southern end.

There is room for a large car park OR a pitch, not both. The statement says they want a landscaped carpark so must mean the main pitch is to be 4G, That's OK in itself but depends how many different coloured lines they are going to ruin it with, if its maximising community use revenue then its gonna have a whole load of lines making it look a mess. 

Just now, Tommygilf said:

By the looks of it its only really the 1 East stand being changed (the north stand seems to be a facelift so turnstyles and drainage etc). So its not all change.

I actually don't mind the loss of what is being proposed. Unlike Cas the stadium hasn't got that same tight packed feeling/atmosphere to compensate for its age. I'm glad they are taking this redevelopment approach and going stand by stand. 

Couldn't tell what, if anything, they're planning for the opposite West Stand, where the TV set up usually is, or the set of corporate stuff at the Southern end.

It’s a start, though. I don’t think they need to do a huge amount, in all honesty. 

The terrace behind the sticks with the roof is fine. The one with the corporate stuff the other end needs to be turned into a proper stand of some sort. The one where it’s part seated/part terrace is the one I’m guessing this plan is based around, so a full length, seated stand with corporate stuff would be a huge step. It’s the away end opposite that I think there could be problems with its proximity to housing behind it. 

If Wakefield sorted out two of the stands, it would be a huge improvement for them. 

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The plans include:

• Construction of a new 2,500-seater East Stand to include a large hospitality/conferencing facility
  • Refurbishment the existing “Rollin Shack” to provide a multi-functional leisure space including a café and club retail facility
  • Renovation of the North Stand terracing providing an upgrade to spectator amenity in that part of the ground and an increase overall ground capacity
  • An upgrade of the existing floodlights to latest LED technology
  • Installation of a 4G pitch suitable for all weather use by both club and the community
  • Creation of landscaped car parking and a FanZone behind the new East Stand

The cost of the works will be funded by a significant contribution from Newmarket Lane Ltd, a joint venture between Yorkcourt Developments and Henry Boot Plc, via a S106 contribution and other private funds facilitated by the Club’s shareholders.

Tentatively that all sounds positive.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Licensing is the direction of travel we are heading in. Wakefield trying to ensure they aren't locked out is sensible.

How will they circumvent the Guaranteed P&R document from the last 'war' not long ago? without a pleasing (large) payoff to the Clubs locked out?

Closed Shop with Loop fixtures, many times more stale than last time when they had a 14 team attempt at it then.   

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s a start, though. I don’t think they need to do a huge amount, in all honesty. 

The terrace behind the sticks with the roof is fine. The one with the corporate stuff the other end needs to be turned into a proper stand of some sort. The one where it’s part seated/part terrace is the one I’m guessing this plan is based around, so a full length, seated stand with corporate stuff would be a huge step. It’s the away end opposite that I think there could be problems with its proximity to housing behind it. 

If Wakefield sorted out two of the stands, it would be a huge improvement for them. 

I wonder if the reasoning behind the 4G pitch might be so that the pitch itself can be moved slightly, so that the Western Stand with the housing behind is less limited.

They are 'renovating' the covered north stand terraces.

I certainly think this is more likely than the most recently submitted images of a whole stadium rebuild.

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not sure if the 4G pitch is to replace the current pitch, I don't think there's enough room behind to install a training field?

Also not sure how the club will operate whilst renovation takes place.

Its unclear exactly what the renovations for the northstand are, but hopefully it is a facelift for the whole stand.

Also the big thing is its great that Yorkcourt are funding it!

Dewsbury seen to be the go to place !

The 4G was interesting.

Good luck and get on with it.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Dewsbury seen to be the go to place !

The 4G was interesting.

Good luck and get on with it.

Dewsbury, Fev, Cas, even Leeds from a purely facilities focus are possible. Alongside continuing playing at Belle Vue I suppose.

Just now, cookey said:

Fingers crossed,nobody wants any more empty/broken promises.

To my mind,if it happens and there is no progress from Cas,then it should be good bye Cas and hello York or Newcastle.

Indeed, it seems several Cas fans are suggesting their own club did something similar instead of waiting for a brand new build that has never come. Yorks ground is effectively what Cas were expecting at Glasshoughton, though Newcastle's approach could actually be an effective way to do it (as Wakey are).

Cas have a much smaller stadium plot than Wakey though and frankly I'd argue they'd have to turn the pitch 90 degrees to build anything worthwhile on the Wheldon road site. That would involve a lot more work and effectively mean a new stadium anyway.

40 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

(The terrace behind the sticks with the roof is fine.)   no its not, should a been replaced way back in 1975 when it were condemned(asbestos),i remember it clear as day in wakefield express when i lived in wakey,i could see the roof out my workshop in 70s with barrass  & mc ginuess on, all they did was paint the sponser out with black paint for years,then it seemed to get a cover over it of different sponsers over the years,so the original roof is still up after all these years.

2 minutes ago, silverback said:

(The terrace behind the sticks with the roof is fine.)   no its not, should a been replaced way back in 1975 when it were condemned,i remember it clear as day in wakefield express when i lived in wakey,i could see the roof out my workshop in 70s with barrass  & mc ginuess on, all they did was paint the sponser out with black paint for years,then it seemed to get a cover over it of different sponsers over the years,so the original roof is still up after all these years.

Your thinking off the old southbank that was knocked down 40 years ago.  The North stand roof is only a few years old, terracing under it needs sorting but that’s the plan 

Archived