Wakefield Stadium???

3 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

So, do you think the club made the right decision?

From my POV, yes. It just smacks a lot... that the club did what it asked and got nowhere, whereas trinity and cas have horrible run down places and in Trinity's case, poor on field performance and finances that are crapola, but thats acceptable....

You know the score WT.... you've been around long enough to see what we all see. This isn't an all out slagging off of Trin.... this is just how it is. 

Clubs already in SL are not measured by the same criteria as those outside it.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, POR said:

what don't you understand FEV were given an extra 200k on top of central funding and could quite easily blown it on the squad. but they didn't they were told they needed to upgrade their stadium by the RFL  ala FRAMING THE FUTURE  so that's what they did 

they could quite easily said NO and spent the extra 200K on out of date aussies and now be sitting pretty in SL playing out of a stadium like bell vue and wheldon road👍

To build Fevs Family stand and the Volunteers stand behind the sticks now i don't think there would be any change out of two and a half million pound.One of the better decisions the club has made over the years.

53 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Yep and because they were in the championship or whatever it was called back then, the club made the wise decision to invest that 200k on the stadium and credit to them, rather than chasing SL which other clubs have done.

However they were able to make that decision, because they were not in SL. It wouldn’t have been that straightforward a decision if they’d been facing the drop!

Cas and Wakey are both now living now with the consequences of bad decisions and bad luck over the years. It’s easy to throw stones at both these clubs re stadia but the fact remains we’ll never know what course of action Fev would’ve taken if they’d have been in their shoes.

Yep and because they were in the championship or whatever it was called back then

NO  they were demoted  to league one to make way for PSG and london and guess what  so were WAKEY  and  they too were given the extra 200k  don't forget they said they would play at barnsley while work was being done  at BV didn't happen 

However they were able to make that decision, because they were not in SL. It wouldn’t have been that straightforward a decision if they’d been facing the drop!

no construction started  before a ball was kicked in 95  and would have done if FEV were in super league  1 the decision was made  because RFL told FEV along with other  clubs to upgrade in line with FTF

we’ll never know what course of action Fev would’ve taken if they’d have been in their shoes.

yes we do it's in black and white FEV got  money  from RFL so built a stand in 95 on the say so of the RFL and more recently got two stands from scarborough at a nominal price 

11 minutes ago, POR said:

Yep and because they were in the championship or whatever it was called back then

NO  they were demoted  to league one to make way for PSG and london and guess what  so were WAKEY  and  they too were given the extra 200k  don't forget they said they would play at barnsley while work was being done  at BV didn't happen 

no construction started  before a ball was kicked in 95  and would have done if FEV were in super league  1 the decision was made  because RFL told FEV along with other  clubs to upgrade in line with FTF

we’ll never know what course of action Fev would’ve taken if they’d have been in their shoes.

yes we do it's in black and white FEV got  money  from RFL so built a stand in 95 on the say so of the RFL and more recently got two stands from scarborough at a nominal price 

Indeed, it should have been the right decision and if the RFL were consistent and stuck to any plan for more than 2 years, then they would have been rewarded. Wakefield have ridden their luck and played the system. They've walked a tightrope most of the time, but despite last year's results (partly due to a massive injury crisis) and this year's covid debacle, I feel we have a squad capable of competing in the top half of SL next year. The club is currently the best run it has been in my lifetime and the new stand could well be what pulls it out of the doldrums (the only club in the top flight not to compete in a major final during SL, not won a major trophy since 1968). As ever, the next season is make or break for the 'mighty' Trin.

34 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

whereas trinity and cas have horrible run down places and in Trinity's case, poor on field performance and finances that are crapola, but thats acceptable....

Minor point.  Cas have been relegated twice Wakefield haven't. 

16 minutes ago, POR said:

don't forget they said they would play at barnsley while work was being done  at BV didn't happen 

But if you remember the facts back then the proposed shared Queens Drive Stadium looked a very good bet.  So much so that AMEC stumped up the cost of safety work at Belle Vue expecting to make back the cost building the stadium later.  The Barnsley option for televised home games only, was a money losing operation but seen as very short term.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 hours ago, POR said:

don't get the point you're trying to make.really the point is when you were free from relegation you could have spent some of your funding on the ground instead of over the hill aussies  and while were on it

who's idea was it to build the benidorm flats in stead of a proper grandstand 🏨 🤣

as for FEV'S plans to move to a new stadium? no why would we unlike bell  vue the  ground in middle of town  next to railway station  so in ideal spot

As far as i remember it was built partly with a grant from the FA/Sport England when Emley FC moved to Wakefield as it was then classed as a football ground and was given as part of grants to upgrade non league grounds.

I remember been told by someone who knew someone involved in the Wakefield set up at the time that they wouldn't have got it otherwise so it would have still been a fence !!

2 hours ago, POR said:

Since you’ve got all the answers could you please let us know how much the cost of the upgrades at Post Office Rd cost? Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Since you’ve got all the answers could you please let us know how much the cost of the upgrades at Post Office Rd cost? T would assume the cost of the family stand hanks.

they got about 200k extra from RFL in  95 so would assume cost of family stand would be close to that figure 

scarborough stands cost nowt FEV had to dismantle both stands at scarborough and then clear up the ground  they paid   an engineering firm to oversee volunteers dismantling and then rebuilding stands at FEV to fall in line with heath and safety and a haulage firm in FEV to bring  them over don't know the exact cost but asked one of my mates who was a volunteer and he said and I quote peanuts  

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’m struggling to think of an example of a sports team in the UK, building a new stadium without sharing, outside of football.

The last completely new ground without that that I can think of is Hampshire building the Rose Bowl which would be 1990s, I think.

There must be others. But it's a good one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The last completely new ground without that that I can think of is Hampshire building the Rose Bowl which would be 1990s, I think.

There must be others. But it's a good one.

Durham CC play at Emirates Riverside newly built in 1995.

I could be wrong but I’m not aware of them ground sharing.

27 minutes ago, Moose said:

Durham CC play at Emirates Riverside newly built in 1995.

I could be wrong but I’m not aware of them ground sharing.

I saw Durham play at Darlington which was a shared cricket and football ground.

I fear we may have digressed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’m struggling to think of an example of a sports team in the UK, building a new stadium without sharing, outside of football.

Since 2000*? 

Exeter Chiefs - new, non shared stadium, on a new site, from scratch.

That's all I can think of. I can think of loads of other clubs with new grounds that they don't share in other sports (particularly RU), but not "stadia".

*1998 would have got you Worcester Warriors

5 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Since 2000*? 

Exeter Chiefs - new, non shared stadium, on a new site, from scratch.

That's all I can think of. I can think of loads of other clubs with new grounds that they don't share in other sports (particularly RU), but not "stadia".

*1998 would have got you Worcester Warriors

Halliwell Jones is more recent. In my mind I had it as older.

19 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I think St Helens is as well...

Yup.

Another thing I got wrong. On a bit of a roll!

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Halliwell Jones is more recent. In my mind I had it as older.

Halliwell Jones is used by a single team in Warrington. The fact still is to make a stadium financially viable you generally need 2 teams playing out of it. For Wakefield fans to attack the council for not providing them with a new stadium when they’re not prepared to share is head in the sand stuff.

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Halliwell Jones is used by a single team in Warrington. The fact still is to make a stadium financially viable you generally need 2 teams playing out of it. For Wakefield fans to attack the council for not providing them with a new stadium when they’re not prepared to share is head in the sand stuff.

Stadia need to be thought of as 365-day revenue earning events spaces these days. Conferences, banqueting, weddings etc. Even gaming centres. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

When have Wakefield fans attacked the council for not providing a stadium?

Which clubs have built a new stadium without active/proactive support from their LA? (not necessarily financial)

Sharing is more about location and ownership than the principle itself.

Wakefield would not share a stadium in Cas owned by Cas. 

Cas would not share a stadium outside cas  even if it was pretty much central between the two and owned by a district community trust. 

2 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

When have Wakefield fans attacked the council for not providing a stadium?

Which clubs have built a new stadium without active/proactive support from their LA? (not necessarily financial)

Sharing is more about location and ownership than the principle itself.

Wakefield would not share a stadium in Cas owned by Cas. 

Cas would not share a stadium outside cas  even if it was pretty much central between the two and owned by a district community trust. 

It's not really worth the effort explaining, some people are just too dimwitted to understand that sport is about a lot more than just shuffling chess pieces around and assuming people will support a team, regardless of what it's called, regardless of where it plays.

Cas and Wakey are completely separate places with completely separate identities. It's not hard to understand why sharing a stadium wouldn't work out.

36 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Liverpool reserves play there according to Wikipedia 

Very occasionally. If at all. But, yes, they were very much at the forefront of McManus’ mind when building the new stadium. Saints are just filling the gap. 

Archived