Why england won't win the world cup

Saints 48 Dragons 2

Wigan 29 Hull 2

So the theoretically 3rd and 4th best sides in SL could not muster a single try against the best 2 sides.  

The lack of depth in our game is nothing new but these results really emphasised it.  Add to that, the fact that so few of the stand out players, in either game, will pull on an England shirt.

Sad to say it but I think those results give a clear indication why England will not be winning the world cup in 2021.  

13 hours ago, wiggler said:

Saints 48 Dragons 2

Wigan 29 Hull 2

So the theoretically 3rd and 4th best sides in SL could not muster a single try against the best 2 sides.  

The lack of depth in our game is nothing new but these results really emphasised it.  Add to that, the fact that so few of the stand out players, in either game, will pull on an England shirt.

Sad to say it but I think those results give a clear indication why England will not be winning the world cup in 2021.  

That’s the spirit. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

That’s the spirit. 

That should help us to maintain our enthusiasm right up to the tournament.

18 hours ago, wiggler said:

Saints 48 Dragons 2

Wigan 29 Hull 2

The two pre-lim`s in the NRL were a bit lop-sided as well, Melbourne 30-Raiders 10, and only a late comeback by Souths made the other game look respectable .

As far as the WC,  you only need 17 players on the day, you`ve got a world class half back, fullback, hooker, forwards can match it, might not be all gloom and doom, I`ve seen people say on these pages If England can make the semi`s and put in a good show for themselves, through the tournament they won`t lose too many fans.

And let`s not forget we are going to bring up some serious muscle and entertainment from the southern hemisphere, plenty of choices for a second favourite team against the Aussies.

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

The two pre-lim`s in the NRL were a bit lop-sided as well, Melbourne 30-Raiders 10, and only a late comeback by Souths made the other game look respectable .

As far as the WC,  you only need 17 players on the day, you`ve got a world class half back, fullback, hooker, forwards can match it, might not be all gloom and doom, I`ve seen people say on these pages If England can make the semi`s and put in a good show for themselves, through the tournament they won`t lose too many fans.

And let`s not forget we are going to bring up some serious muscle and entertainment from the southern hemisphere, plenty of choices for a second favourite team against the Aussies.

Its going to be a great tournament. I can't wait. I don't care who wins. 

Don't get me wrong (as Chrissie Hynde put so eloquently) - I am really looking forward to seeing the best players in the world on our soil.  I just don't think England will win.  I started following the game just after we last won a world cup and a few years after we last won a test series against OZ, so I would dearly love it to happen before I take my last breath.  My heart says YES but my head, sadly, says no.  My mother always said 'plan for the worst but hope for the best'.  Wise words for me when it comes to international RL!

Come on England - prove this pessimist wrong and make an old curmudgeon happy!!

Best wishes to everyone who takes the time to read my posts - especially to those who reply.

2 hours ago, wiggler said:

Don't get me wrong (as Chrissie Hynde put so eloquently) - I am really looking forward to seeing the best players in the world on our soil.  I just don't think England will win.  I started following the game just after we last won a world cup and a few years after we last won a test series against OZ, so I would dearly love it to happen before I take my last breath.  My heart says YES but my head, sadly, says no.  My mother always said 'plan for the worst but hope for the best'.  Wise words for me when it comes to international RL!

Best wishes to everyone who takes the time to read my posts - especially to those who reply.

Can`t say I remember the last time you beat us in a series, not quite that long in the tooth yet, there`s certainly been plenty of heartbreak for you blokes, and the sheilas of course ! One thing is for certain the WC has come a long way, when it used to be not so competitive I use to consider it just a celebration of RL, but now we have the added bonus of a heap of competitive teams to boot.

In fact, without meaning to sound arrogant, take the Aussies out of the tournament, and its a bloody even tournament that half a dozen sides can win. One of the games I always look forward to was England vs. New Zealand, because they are generally pretty evenly matched and a good standard of League with some real exciting players in there. Well there are a dozen match ups like that this time and I expect our Quarters, Semis and Final will be about as good a level as you could hope for at any big tournament.

And of course it`s going to be great seeing League get centre billing for four weeks in the media, that`s going to be such a shot in the arm for the game.

Great another thread where logic flies out the window in a desperate attempt not to be seen in the company of any RL fans!

Two results as conclusive proof, good grief!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, wiggler said:

I also don’t think we’ll win. We’ve lost some great players in Roby, O’Loughlin, S Burgess and Graham and the replacements aren’t as good. We are also lacking in the backs. It’s probably come a couple of years too soon for us, we’ve got some great talent coming through - Newman, Wardle, Simm, Welsby, Trueman. 2025 might be a better chance!

It will be a great tournament regardless, I’m really looking forward to it. Even more so if the Aussies don’t win it 😁

On 23/11/2020 at 19:56, langpark said:

Hmm, interesting theory. Half the England team plays in the NRL now anyway, I am not suggesting they have the depth Australia has, but they will be competitive for sure. 

Didn't a few stand out in the NRL ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Hodgson, Whitehead, George Williams and Bateman, all at Raiders, though Bateman has now left, all did very well. Tom Burgess still at Rabbitohs and Herbie Farnworth at Broncos is a rising star. He hasn't played for England yet but I am certain he will be in the WC squad next year at the rate he is going. 

Archived