Man of Steel...

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

He certainly puts a mighty shift in every time he takes the field for Cas.

He's one of those players you tend to build up an intense dislike for as an opposition fan.

All of which would go along to suggest he's probably a worthy winner.

Was far and away the best player in the league before lockdown. And has carried us after it as the team has been awful. I would have gone Bevan French, but there you go.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is there a breakdown of the points available anywhere? I’d love to see how many times he’s won the full three points in a Cas team that’s come ninth. 

Tommy Harris won the Lance Todd Trophy at Wembley in 1960 after his team lost 38-5.

The MOS is an award for individual effort in a game, not whether his side wins or not.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I remember seeing Bevan French in a Parramatta side playing away at Canberra. After 70 mins, a stat flashed up that he had made one run for seven metres.

I am pleased it has gone to a player who has spent his whole career in Super League. 

I also think some of the posters here don't understand how the voting system works. It is harder to win it in a team playing well. A player who has stood out in a team which has struggled will always have a chance.  

15 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is there a breakdown of the points available anywhere? I’d love to see how many times he’s won the full three points in a Cas team that’s come ninth. 

This is a misconception about how the system works. To get three points for a match, a player doesn't just have to be the best player for his team. He has to be the best player *across both teams*.

There is a history of Paul McShane type players winning Man of Steel (Houghton won in 2016 I think). He handles the ball more than any player in his side and is a talented SL player.

Congratulations to him. Was unlucky not to get more international recognition over the years due to a clutch of talented 9s. 

12 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Tommy Harris won the Lance Todd Trophy at Wembley in 1960 after his team lost 38-5.

The MOS is an award for individual effort in a game, not whether his side wins or not.

And three points typically go to a player from the winning team. Cas have won twice since the restart. McShane has given away 14 penalties, the competition leader has given away 15, he’s made 50 missed tackles and 13 errors this year in his seventeen games. 

2 minutes ago, Dunedan said:

This is a misconception about how the system works. To get three points for a match, a player doesn't just have to be the best player for his team. He has to be the best player *across both teams*.

It’s not a misconception. You believe it is. Three points are typically handed to a player from the winning team, the system usually gives a sympathy point to a player from the losing side, regardless of how many they’ve lost by. I’m curious to see McShane’s breakdown. Make of that what you want. 

10 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

What in God's name has that got to do with anything?

If a player is hugely influential in every game he takes the park for his team, what does it matter who he plays for.

Well I'm not criticising him really.  He was just not influential enough to get Cas higher up.  But yes I am being darkly sardonic.

I am mindful of George Fairbairn who got Man of Steel 1980 playing in a Wigan team that got relegated.  We, the club - everything - were rubbish and probably would have got relegated straight to division 3 but for Fairbairn!      

56 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Man of Steel voting system is more of a joke than the voting for the twelfth team in Super League. 

Like it!

20 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

What in God's name has that got to do with anything?

If a player is hugely influential in every game he takes the park for his team, what does it matter who he plays for.

Well it matters if despite his influential qualities if his team don't win.

Personally I think he was, at the very least, an excellent candidate, and no real surprise given comments on Sky.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not a misconception. You believe it is. Three points are typically handed to a player from the winning team, the system usually gives a sympathy point to a player from the losing side, regardless of how many they’ve lost by. I’m curious to see McShane’s breakdown. Make of that what you want. 

Given that is the case, what does it say of McShane's performances this year that he has been able to get enough points to win? Either he got some many points before lockdown, when Cas were winning, to be able to hold people off by picking up 1 point a week, or he has played well enough, even in a losing side, that he has been picking up 2 or 3 points.

If it is the former, you'd think a better player would've made up the difference in points since lockdown. If it is the latter, then he's a worthy winner.

Other awards from the night. Well done all.

Spirit of Super League Award – Rob Burrow and Mose Masoe

Young Player of the Year – Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos)

Coach of the Year – Adrian Lam (Wigan Warriors)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think the committee do it to annoy us !

Love it!

A committee of trolls?

Why does know one question this then?

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Coach of the Year – Adrian Lam (Wigan Warriors)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived