Man of Steel...

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Other awards from the night. Well done all.

Spirit of Super League Award – Rob Burrow and Mose Masoe

Young Player of the Year – Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos)

Coach of the Year – Adrian Lam (Wigan Warriors)

Great for Newman, gutted he missed the back end of the season as I love watching him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 weeks ago prior to the shortlist being announced I'm not sure there would have been many people championing McShane for MoS, so I think it suggests it is something of a shock selection. 

But good luck to him, he's a good player and leads Cas around well. It is surprising how many MoS awards have gone to Cas players, I wonder if it says something about their popularity with neutrals. 

Great player and tough as old boots,Folks kept babbling on about french but what he did was in spurts and went missing at some points, looked very good in some recent games but mc shane did it tough every game when some a the players around him were not always getting things right.

3 minutes ago, silverback said:

Great player and tough as old boots,Folks kept babbling on about french but what he did was in spurts and went missing at some points, looked very good in some recent games but mc shane did it tough every game when some a the players around him were not always getting things right.

' did what tough ' ? 

He's a very good player is McShane and he played consistently well over the course of the season. Yes, the voting system does make it easier for players who play well in poorer performing sides, but it is what it is. Just like the Albert Goldthorpe award it tends to be weighted towards halfbacks, hookers and fullbacks. If a forward is in the running then you can tell they've had a phenomenal season. For me the biggest indication of its limitations is the fact that Walmsley wasn't among the top contenders. He's been outstanding this year. Hard to remember a more dominant forward since Sam Burgess. I'd have said the two best players this year were Walmsley and Farrell, but it can be hard to compare forwards to backs to playmakers. McShane's been underrated for a while and deserves the recognition.

For me the unfortunate thing is Ethan Havard not being considered for Young Player of the Year. He only played 9 SL games so perhaps that was just too few to be selected (although it's only 2 short of Newman), but he was incredible this year. Wigan's best prop forward without a doubt. Was a major reason we managed to reach the top spot before lockdown despite weaknesses in the pack. Very few forwards average over 100m per game - it's a small group of outstanding players and the most experienced forwards, like Walmsley, Farrell, Cooper, Taia, Graham, Amor, LMS, Hill from this season. And 19 year old Ethan Havard. He wasn't just a workhorse either. Frequently he was the best prop forward on the field. Harry Smith was nominated and he's had a decent year - but Smith doesn't make Wigan's strongest line up. If it wasn't for injury Havard would be guaranteed to. In fact he'd be guaranteed to make any side.

9 hours ago, silverback said:

Played.He got on with game and took plenty a knocks game after game.one hell of a player.

Yes, true.  French is a different sort of player, and there are a number like him.  It's not a question of being in "spurts".  He offers latent danger, a number of backs do that. They have to be watched, but if you blink and miss him you are in trouble.

A winger may not do a lot, but when they have to they need to have to do it in a dangerous position, in attack or defence.  A good example of that ... and he will never win Man of Steel ... is Bibby.  He is out of position, he will not get his place if everyone is fit, but he produced some great play in both attack and defence, at key moments.

I remember the days at Leeds when Brian Mcdermott would make him sit on the bench for full games, occasionally venturing out to warm up but never bringing him on.

Even then it seemed like an unwise way to treat a player who might be able to occupy the Leeds 9 shirt for a decade and it has proven so given how difficult we've found it to get a settled hooker since he left, although working under Powell no doubt helped him.

This would be a welcome return to when the man of steel award was for just that and there was a separate player of the year award. Not sure if that's how they intended it but as said above there's a long history of McShane type players winning it.

However if someone could let me know when the mushroom cloud has lifted and it's safe to have a look at how the folks over at redvee are bearing up that would be useful.

Congrats to McShane. This is the precise sort of winner the new scoring system was designed to reward. Wouldn't surprise me if Aidan Sezer was a very close second place.

For years people complained that the MoS winner was just a player from one of the top teams who played well in the second half of the season. Now we have a genuinely fair way of players amassing points across the league and across the season rewarding consistently high performance. Could there be tinkering with the system in future? Maybe, but I would hope it is mostly here to stay.

11 hours ago, andyscoot said:

Who would you have given it to?

I always feel that if that's the case there is no point in mentioning other coaches and say Coach of the year is the one that wins the Shield!

That would reward the long game and save any arguments.

I would've favoured Agar for the turn around and Watto till he became yesterday's news.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

As we all know awards like this are massively opinion based - so here's mine. Paul McShane is the most naturally talented RL player i've ever met and will go on to be one the best SL coaches in years to come. 

I agree with that

14 hours ago, dkw said:

Great for Newman, gutted he missed the back end of the season as I love watching him.

Yes, I agree.  These days a break (even a double break) is often not as a bad as joint damage and so hopefully he will be back and firing early in the new season.

After a period of drought, it does feel like we may have some competition in the centre spot with the likes of Harry Newman, Jake Wardle, Toby King, Oliver Gildart, Herbie Farnworth and Mark Percival.  Plus the likes of Watkins who is still able to deliver.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

35 minutes ago, Celt said:

Wow. So this Best Player in the League.... Where is he going to end up next season?

Saint Helens, given that he must be better than James Roby?

Catalans'?

The NRL must be likely ... Given the finances on offer there? 

The club's aren't stupid... They obviously know who the best talent is, and want to sign it. Would it be fair therefore to say that the best player in the league will not realistically be staying at Cas? He must be inundated with offers!!

(If he is the best player in the league.....)

Why would he need/want to move? Did Brough, Houghton, Gale move in recent years after they won the award? 

Has he been better than James Roby this season? Yes, yes he has in mine and many other peoples opinion. Does that mean Saints will want him? Obviously not for a plethora of reasons i'm sure you're aware of. 

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

As we all know awards like this are massively opinion based - so here's mine. Paul McShane is the most naturally talented RL player i've ever met and will go on to be one the best SL coaches in years to come. 

I know he coaches in Hunslet. I'm just wondering if he is the heir apparent, and the reason why Orr has moved on.

I think that any discussion of his possible move away from Cas must be balanced by the relative commitments those clubs who could make a viable move.

After all it's like Watto's move from a comparitively poor club to one with a wallet!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 minutes ago, Celt said:

Because he will surely be in demand? And at the end of the day, Castleford is a small club, with a serious limit on how much they can pay.

If he is the Best Player in the League he will surely be the target for some much better offers from either the biggest SuperLeague clubs... Or more logically the NRL, who have the spending power to get the best players in the world.

As it is such a short career, and Super League salaries are really quite low in sporting terms, the Best Player in the League will no doubt have a chance to double, or treble his salary?

In fact.... Would it not be strange if he doesn't end up as a marquee player somewhere? As I said before... The club's aren't stupid.

(if he is that good anyway)

Hang on, let me get this right - you think players move every time another club comes in for them? 

As for the rest of what you're saying, it's pure speculation. Apart from arguably Sam Tomkins, name me any other player who has moved on and earning 2/3 times what they were earning prior to winning MoS? 

Do you have any idea what McShane is earning at Cas? He signed a five year contract after playing a huge part in getting them to the 2017 Grand Final - he's certainly not on peanuts. 

He's 31 now and very settled - i'm sure Cas will already be looking to tie him into a new deal that see's him finish his career there. 

Archived