3 year Sky deal for less than current deal

Pulga

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dealwithit said:

So we don’t know the value...

Not yet, but with SL getting 75% as long as it tops £32m, which it likely does, then they get to keep current central funding levels.

Any pain here is going to be at Chammpionship and League 1 level.

Wonder what the impact on the central distribution pot will look like if this goes through, given they're already cutting the legs off the incoming 12th team with the amount they have now. If it wasn't ruled out already this definitely puts to bed any suggestion of going to 14 teams for the foreseeable future. 

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Not yet, but with SL getting 75% as long as it tops £32m, which it likely does, then they get to keep current central funding levels.

Any pain here is going to be at Chammpionship and League 1 level.

As I said elsewhere our Group Level League in Oz, the equivalent of your League 1, doesn`t get a brass razoo off the NRL, some are attached to small country League`s Clubs or Sporting Clubs but even they don`t tip in much, as one of our Group 3 officials told me recently its all about local sponsors and game day revenue.

English Rugby League probably got a better deal than expected last time and were able to be generous in their funding of lower levels, which is fantastic if you can afford it, might be time that they start standing on their own two feet. There are lots of other ways that SL can help lower levels, I saw Latrell Mitchell umpiring a game of kids cricket here two weekends ago, you should have seen the kids around him, even that sort of thing will help the local Rugby League club next year.

22 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I saw Latrell Mitchell umpiring a game of kids cricket here two weekends ago, you should have seen the kids around him, even that sort of thing will help the local Rugby League club next year.

Joel Tomkins raising his finger to give someone out would give the kids nightmares.

On the story it doesn't feel like a triumph, does it. I seem to recall many people saying that the previous deal sacrificed potentially more cash for long-term certainty - a three-year deal for less money doesn't seem to compare well.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Celt said:

I just don't buy into the "fantasy optimism" that some people on here have.

If we look at our competitor sports, they are signing bigger TV deals each time, and growing accordingly.

Our last deal was a total letdown, meaning this one is make-or-break really.

It's not true that other sports' TV deals are growing all the time. Premier RU's last one was down with the trade off (not a bad trade off IMO) that there was more FTA coverage - but it was less cash.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Mighty relieved the BT parasites didn't get in the back door, we might as well have booked the crematorium.

We don't know the fine detail how the integral allocation of the Sky deal pans out but ballpark it could have been a hell of a lot more negative.

Give some credit to the negotiating team, we've secured the future of the game for as long as could be hoped  bearing in mind the global uncertainty we face. Let's remember the backdrop to the package was coloured in amidst a devastating pandemic.

We have little clarity at the moment regards what may be afforded to the Championship & League 1 but there's no way they'll be cut adrift to Elephant Island.

Have hope and belief, this is good news not a kick in the teeth. 👍🙂🏉

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's not true that other sports' TV deals are growing all the time. Premier RU's last one was down with the trade off (not a bad trade off IMO) that there was more FTA coverage - but it was less cash.

Wasn't the Premier League's last domestic deal also worth less, and they have just had to terminate the Chinese rights, losing more value? 

It'll be interesting to see the value and what Sky get for their payment. Remember there was a lot wrapped into the £40m last time. 

I don't think anybody can say whether it is a good deal or a bad deal. 

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wasn't the Premier League's last domestic deal also worth less, and they have just had to terminate the Chinese rights, losing more value? 

It'll be interesting to see the value and what Sky get for their payment. Remember there was a lot wrapped into the £40m last time. 

I don't think anybody can say whether it is a good deal or a bad deal. 

Yep, the deal for the Championship, Challenge Cup and Internationals is still to come. And although I doubt the combined total will match the last deal, we're certainly not in disaster territory. The game is secure for another stretch. 

The fact that the top SL clubs have kept signing players on longer term contracts was a sign that the deal was going to be OK, given they must have had an inkling what the level was likely to be. 

The biggest concerns for me would be an even bigger disparity between top and bottom of SL if the TV distribution falls a bit, which has an impact on the quality of the competition, and whether all Championship clubs will competently manage a transition to lower TV distribution. They should be able to relatively easily, as they have very few players on long term, full time deals, but some will no doubt overstretch. 

For me the best news is that BT are not going to take over the new SL contract.

With SKY SPORTS one gets also plenty of global coverage as well (BT is very limited) and sponsors hate it, even in Rugby Union its far easier to sell championship coverage to some sponsors as its on SKY which is still sexy compared to BT Sport which just doesn't do it.

Now is the chance for clubs to steady the ship and look also for other revenue steams.

Lets sort some long term Internationals out after the WC:) for me that would be the icing on the cake given the present situation.

5 hours ago, Celt said:

Sounds like a disaster.

Its good that you have considered all the salient points on this, loaded with all the information (even though there actually isnt any as of yet) and came to this opinion. Well done you.

Archived