3 year Sky deal for less than current deal

Pulga

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, in my original post I did qualify that this was domestic we were talking to.  I know all the talk was around the international rights increasing to cover any shortfall, but I don't think I followed what they eventually sold for, apart from the fact that the China deal has recently fallen through.

Roughly, the domestic rights fell in value by about £400m to a mere £5bn ... but global rights in their various packages went up by around 30% to £4.2bn total - so £9.2bn for both.

In case anyone was wondering why soccer is on a different planet to any other sport in this country.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Its perfectly possible that Elstone has rescued a poor deal and averted disaster. What if...Sky did their sums and decided that they were going to offer substantially less than last time because subscription and advertising revenues were less than expected and production costs were higher than expected?  In addition, what if  they had become fed up of fans phoning them up and cancelling and also using social media to and forums like this criticise the match day teams?

Sky would naturally offer less because they are not stupid, they would probably of gotten it at a right bargain had BT not jumped in. And because of the potential effects of Covid on their profits, as a business why not chance it at a lot less. Very doubtful it would be due to a few fans ringing them up or even ads around RL programming blocks.  

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I hope whatever the final financial figures, more games will be filmed and  broadcast to network standard, either as part of the main package or some sort of Gamepass style extra subscription service. 

In this day and age inventory for broadcasters/vod is important and we're not making the most of what we have. 

Spot on

28 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Sky would naturally offer less because they are not stupid, they would probably of gotten it at a right bargain had BT not jumped in. And because of the potential effects of Covid on their profits, as a business why not chance it at a lot less. Very doubtful it would be due to a few fans ringing them up or even ads around RL programming blocks.  

I agree. Just making a point.  I bet it is not just me the naysayers and doom mongers ###### off, though.

30 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Sky need a quality product too though. Yes Sky could offer less, much less probably, and it is quite likely that RL may have to take it. That isn't necessarily in Sky's best interest though. Sky need to still pay enough to have a decent product to show and its arguable how much less they could pay without seriously impacting on quality and viewing and subscriber numbers. 

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

The details in the article I read were scant to invisible and to me the most important thing was there were two bidders.

I doubt we'll ever know what was involved at all.

So let's, like all good lynch mobs, set off to get the get the nearest bystander, and with no evidence find them guilty!

When TWP went Covid got away scot free seems like the same will happen over the TV contract!

You may be right but where do you think the information was leaked from that formed this article (which I haven't read BTW).

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sky need a quality product too though. Yes Sky could offer less, much less probably, and it is quite likely that RL may have to take it. That isn't necessarily in Sky's best interest though. Sky need to still pay enough to have a decent product to show and its arguable how much less they could pay without seriously impacting on quality and viewing and subscriber numbers. 

Good point

18 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You may be right but where do you think the information was leaked from that formed this article (which I haven't read BTW).

Well the trouble with leaks is they have little in them except to cause trouble or cut trouble off at the pass.

What we sort of know is there were two candidates/bidders which is one improvement if true.

We assume Sky outbid their rival otherwise choosing them would be stupid.

We don't know much detail at all about the bids and while that has been the usual way it means any time we criticise or applaud it will be done in a vacuum of information.

That doesn't seem to bother some people nor does the effects of Covid on the economic situation.

Whoever leaked it, leaking it to the Mail seems weird, if it was to get the news to RL fans. If you're a fan looking in the Mail for RL seems like you've lost your way and in need of directions to somewhere better.

So someone leaked who was not happy about it because they have BT at their house is the closest guess I have.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

54 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/sky-sports-rugby-league-deal-4730981?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Hull Press doing their journalism by reading a national paper, not by ringing up the 2 Hull Clubs & SL HQ to get more meat to the Daily mail story......

That is modern journalism isn't it? That or a source close to the RFL says ..... or Many people think that .......

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

To repeat: there are plenty of examples where it already has.

SKY payed £500million less for football when compared to the previous deal.  I think that is something like 12% reduction.     So we would do well to get £36 million.  !

14 minutes ago, Celt said:

Very interesting indeed.

So - half time adverts are tailored to the viewer? All of us could sit at home watching the final on Friday night... And receive different adverts at half time?

I didn't know this.

Yep. SkyAdsmart https://www.adsmartfromsky.co.uk/audience/ 

It has been around for a few years but until this year was only used in standard schedules programming. This year Sky also introduced it to live broadcasts. 

32 minutes ago, Oxford said:

That is modern journalism isn't it? That or a source close to the RFL says ..... or Many people think that .......

All these newspapers are in the same group and run the same stories that are not local.  And beyond that they blindly run a standard promo from some organisation or not

4 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

The fact so many within our game look at the likely drop in SKY money and start wringing their hands in fear shows exactly whats wrong with the game, and why it wont progress with the current mentality. It's not up to SKY or any other broadcaster to provide us with our means to live.

We are lucky enough to have had a committed partner in SKY for so long (like them or not), yet the people who have run our game for as long as i can remember are the ones who have failed to make the game in general more attractive and accessible to a broader audience and broadcasters.

It sounds like SL will continue as is, in terms of funding, though the Daily Mail article does't really actually say anything. The real worry would be for the lower leagues, but you would have thought throughout the negotiation process it would have been clear from an early stage if SKY wanted to retain any coverage of the leagues outside SL, and as such you'd hope, the RFL would be seeking alternative broadcast partners for those comps, or making plans for broadcasting the leagues themselves, whether that be on Twitch, Ourleague or Youtube.

It's highly unlikley, but maybe, just maybe.. the senior management of the game and the senior clubs will actually learn from this (not that they haven't had enough of these wake up calls over the last 30 years to learn from) and put in place some proper strategies and processes around genuine growth, individually as clubs but also collectively.

3 years isn't that long to get your ar$e in gear.

100% correct.  The game, not least the lower tier, are far too much peas above sticks.   And P&R is a smoke and mirrors exercise to justify the existence of the  part time game.   We are a long way off a 14 team league.  

16 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

All these newspapers are in the same group and run the same stories that are not local.  And beyond that they blindly run a standard promo from some organisation or not

Sorry, I forgot cut & paste!

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Rugby League fans default setting. See also - The Toronto rejection. 

Not everyone posting in here is a Rugby League fan HW.

5 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

The likes of Hunslet, Barrow Raiders, Workington Town or Keighley Cougars would walk over any NSW Group level side you'd care to present. League 1 is Tier 3, NSW or Queensland Regional RL is Tier 5. 

I'm sure Grafton Ghosts or Macksville will go well against em. Don't let reality get in the way of your weird hatreds though.  

You are beginning to notice then?

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yeah, Except the Hull rag is in a totally different publishing group, company, from the daily mail's. 

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

I'd leave him be Irish. Its plain for all 2 see whose been strange. Again. 

Yes I know.

I'm just wondering what's the matter?

I'm happy to discuss anything with anyone, as long as they have something to say.

21 hours ago, Celt said:

Rocket... I think you are being quite charitable here. 

There's teams down the bottom of League 1 that would probably be classed as a "pub side" in either NSW or Queensland. There was a team in it a couple of years ago from Oxford, where the players were actually drinking as soon as they stepped off the pitch. This 'club' just disappeared without trace, which kind of sums up the lower end of League 1. Only 2 seasons ago, 1 team posted a 144-0 loss, and teams regularly run out with less than 17 players.

Sure, there are a few far more serious teams at the top end, who I would definitely not tar with that brush...  but down at the bottom, the level is a joke. 

A joke?

I'm trying to work out, just what kind of a Rugby League fan you are. Quite frankly (and I've said it before) I don't think you care for Rugby League at all.

Even if you have some sneaking admiration for the best players in the World, you certainly don't seem to care about anyone, or any team, or anyone else actually involved in the game over here. You speak about the game (and its proponents) with such contempt I wonder what you are doing here?

What I'd like to know is where you draw the line between those involved who are a joke and those whose participation is justified by your standards.

It seems, by your method of classification, that players have to be a certain standard and the club has to be run like an NRL club in order not to be considered ''a joke''.

God help anyone who just plays the game for fun.

Nasty, just plain nasty.

Archived