3 year Sky deal for less than current deal

Pulga

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

A joke?

I'm trying to work out, just what kind of a Rugby League fan you are. Quite frankly (and I've said it before) I don't think you care for Rugby League at all.

Even if you have some sneaking admiration for the best players in the World, you certainly don't seem to care about anyone, or any team, or anyone else actually involved in the game over here. You speak about the game (and its proponents) with such contempt I wonder what you are doing here?

What I'd like to know is where you draw the line between those involved who are a joke and those whose participation is justified by your standards.

It seems, by your method of classification, that players have to be a certain standard and the club has to be run like an NRL club in order not to be considered ''a joke''.

God help anyone who just plays the game for fun.

Nasty, just plain nasty.

Nasty, just plain nasty.

Ain't it the truth? - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Celt said:

No. Just laughing in your face.

You remind me of a passive aggressive woman who used to work in my office. Best off just laughing at her.

I'm becoming used to your behaviour now, after observing you for a little while.

So I'm not surprised by this latest offering.

You are increasingly, abusive and clearly unable to make a cogent argument in defence of your obnoxious points of view.

Your are now moving towards tedium.

I can tell because you have revealed enough, to know (having spent so much time there myself) that you are Welsh.

The kind of Welshman you are is apparent, nay blindingly obvious to everyone here, from the image you, yourself have presented in this forum.

Feel free, to keep laughing.

I am very happy to claim that I have far more in common with the women in your office, than I would ever allow myself to have with you. 

I am no expert but surely as a sport we should not have to rely on sky TV as much as we do❓

BT took the Champions League contract and some Premier League football matches when they were both once broadcast on Itv and sky respectively. 

We would certainly benefit from BT sponsorship in our sport. There must be some way forward❓

Or do sky control Super League whilst the RFL controls the rest of Rugby league❓

Do sky set the salary cap at such a pitiful level compared to the NRL and Rugby Union❓

3 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I am no expert but surely as a sport we should not have to rely on sky TV as much as we do❓

BT took the Champions League contract and some Premier League football matches when they were both once broadcast on Itv and sky respectively. 

We would certainly benefit from BT sponsorship in our sport. There must be some way forward❓

Or do sky control Super League whilst the RFL controls the rest of Rugby league❓

Do sky set the salary cap at such a pitiful level compared to the NRL and Rugby Union❓

The Sky contract only recently covered the entire salary cap for the Super League clubs. Investment in teams has therefore gone down in recent years as compared to early days of Super League where the shortfall was accepted to be made up by the clubs themselves. Arguably that has made the comp a bit more evenish, but that has come at the cost of the top of the sport losing its ability to recruit. That was partly allayed by the marquee rule, though even that was voted in on an 8/4 split.

I do think we have to assess what Sky really offer us. 2 games out of 6 on Sky Sports 8 on a Thursday and Friday night, no magazine show, poor coverage on SSN, and a reduced broadcast deal. I personally don't think that is worth exclusivity. It could be worth preferential treatment though by getting first dibs on games.

We need to diversify our broadcast portfolio. That could include BT or more likely and probably better a FTA broadcaster.

20 hours ago, Celt said:

Well... If this is true (I don't know if it is or not - but certainly adverisers are only going to pay depending on viewer/subscriber numbers) then:

We could be screwed. Reason I say so, is that any time there is a game on, it is obvious from comments that about half the posters on here don't subscribe to SkySports. If the sample on here are basically RL's keenest fans, a bunch of people who sit around talking about the sport all day(!) and a serious percentage of us don't subscribe.... Then surely the uptake of SkySports across the RL-supporting population must be pretty low??

Ditto the numbers of people who subscribe "Primarily for the Rugby League"?

We? 

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Gentlemen please

I will be honest and state that I am no longer a sky sports subscriber. 

For many years I paid money to Murdoch. 

His summer deal saved the greatest game in 1995. However he has never had any remote interest in British rugby league or European super league. He ruined the Brisbane league and left them with the Brisbane Broncos ie one team. Look at the 1982 Australian tour squad and see how many were from the Brisbane league. Murdoch wanted both codes of rugby to combine but he was thwarted by NZ All Black lawyers. 

Sky cash still helps our game but there are surely other sources of revenue❓

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

His summer deal saved the greatest game in 1995. However he has never had any remote interest in British rugby league or European super league. He ruined the Brisbane league and left them with the Brisbane Broncos ie one team. Look at the 1982 Australian tour squad and see how many were from the Brisbane league. Murdoch wanted both codes of rugby to combine but he was thwarted by NZ All Black lawyers.

Do you have a source for the part which I bolded?

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Of course there are. Strong SL clubs have turnovers of £7-10m - with around £2m of that coming from Sky.

11 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

There is a rumour that the BT claim is hot air and that NO deal has been done at all yet with SKY its all still up in the air.

Anyone else hearing this?

Not heard anything other than the rumours on here although if a deal has been agreed I would expect an announcement this week with the Grand Final taking place. Alternatively an announcement as part of the 2021 season launch would make sense

25 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

There is a rumour that the BT claim is hot air and that NO deal has been done at all yet with SKY its all still up in the air.

Anyone else hearing this?

I'd be stunned if the Daily Mail were wrong. 

Maybe. 

12 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Not heard anything other than the rumours on here although if a deal has been agreed I would expect an announcement this week with the Grand Final taking place. Alternatively an announcement as part of the 2021 season launch would make sense

The story came from the Daily mail so make of that what you like!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Eight pages on something not officially announced.....

Some points not being made on this thread,  BT might offer more money but Super League takes the lower priced SKY deal. There are a couple of reasons to support this. Firstly, SKY sports subscription base is far bigger than that of BT sport so you would end up with fewer viewers and this would have a commercial effect as less eyeballs were on your product. Secondly, most people cannot afford TWO sport subscriptions, so If Rugby League went to BT then because SKY has Cricket and the NFL along with SKY Movies and SKY Atlantic why risk marital discord by changing Pay TV channels. Personally I would still watch my Club live and whatever makes Free to air but stick with SKY.

I also read that Robert Elstone was in discussion with about ten platforms for the game which could include channels 4, 5 and Amazon. If you have say 10 games on FTA it drags down the value of the Pay TV deal as even as a simulcast since Pay TV no longer has exclusivity.

Finally, a FTA package is not a panacea in itself, for sure it brings the game to Older People and the unwaged but it is not perhaps how the young and monied consume sport these days and they are advertisers target audience. Take Cricket as an example, when last years viewing figures on SKY drew more of the young target audience than the BBC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-8711573/ECB-blow-25s-pick-Sky-Sports-BBC-Englands-Twenty20-matches-against-Pakistan.html

Being on FTA definately helps the profile but as the example above proves if your off FTA for a while it takes time to build an audience. Yes,, I know the BBC covers the challenge cup and will cover the world cup (on the redbutton for most - sorry to dissappoint) but FTA coverage is sporadic and not like the old Grandstand coverage of years past.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'd be stunned if the Daily Mail were wrong. 

Maybe. 

It's interesting that, as yet, the story doesn't appear to have been picked up or developed by anyone else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's interesting that, as yet, the story doesn't appear to have been picked up or developed by anyone else.

Thats because its b-------s I am told.

Daily Mail is a horrible paper and most of the journalist are t------s one of the political editors  lives in the village here every time I see him he is permanently ###### LOL:(

Archived