3 year Sky deal for less than current deal

Pulga

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I get that however the current set up wont increase things simple as that.

But that was what Elstone was brought in for and is being paid for for along with his staff to increase the TV deal in money terms

Anyone fool can negotiate a reduced TV deal. What is the point of employing him if he can't do the job he was brought in to do

13 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

International programme with regular matches in London (That my friends is where the money is) 

I thought the money was in Portsmouth.

Or Plymouth.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

All very well and good saying that FIL however its a poisoned chalice, history will judge that Nigel Wood did a good bit of business in securing the last deal.

What we really need to be concentrating on is strong secondary revenue streams a vibrant championship with P and R and a long term International programme with regular matches in London (That my friends is where the money is) 

Will London respond to regular International matches? At the moment with one every so often they create interest through it not being there very often, if it becomes the norm then it doesn't provide that 'novelty' value. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will London respond to regular International matches? At the moment with one every so often they create interest through it not being there very often, if it becomes the norm then it doesn't provide that 'novelty' value. 

The problem isn't frequency as such. London could easily sustain a game a year in a major stadium, but only if it's a "big" game: that means Australia, New Zealand or a World Cup. And in fact every year in which we've hosted one of those in the last decade (apart from 2018) we've had a London game with a good crowd.

The problem is we need to create more big international matches to fill the off years. We can't feasibly host the big two or a world cup more often and a European championship just isn't high enough standard to do it in the London market, where you have to go big or not bother. (Playing Wales at Brentford for instance isn't going to do it.) 

So there's no easy solutions, especially now the Pacific nations are committed to the Oceania Cup in the end-of-year international window. 

Archived