Things you remember, but you've no idea why.

A couple come to mind immediately to me, both televised games.

Workington v Bramley (possibly Players No 6 trophy) a sparse crowd, the atmosphere enhanced by a soul voice shouting "Come on Bram, that's the way Bram" for the entire game (or second half).

Salford v Hull (pretty sure this was a Player No 6  trophy semi final in 1975/76)  slap bang in the middle of the Salford fans in the shed facing the camera's was a small group of Hull fans, one of which was wearing an enormous black and white Top hat.

Why do I remember stuff like this?

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

4 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Workington v Bramley (possibly Players No 6 trophy) a sparse crowd, the atmosphere enhanced by a soul voice shouting "Come on Bram, that's the way Bram" for the entire game (or second half).

Salford v Hull (pretty sure this was a Player No 6  trophy semi final in 1975/76)  slap bang in the middle of the Salford fans in the shed facing the camera's was a small group of Hull fans, one of which was wearing an enormous black and white Top hat.

Remember the RLWC Qtr Final at Castleford in 2000 I was standing on the terracing with 3/4 of the top bods from an American IT company that were sponsoring France (They wanted to get the feeling of being amongst the fans) 

Standing in front of us was this huge women with her husband whose swearing got worse as the match went on, the tries and goals were sponsored by Motorola everytime there was a try or goal  (And there was a lot as NZ hammered France) the tannoy announcer would say something like Try for NZ scored by ----- and sponsored by Motorola.

For some reason she had a beef about this and after the 2nd try shouted f--- Motorola the abuse v Motorola escalated higher and higher thoroughout the match ending up with her screaming f f f f f-ing Motorola (She had also by this time started to sing an anti Motorola song and chant that she had made up. One of the American directors turned round to me and said I dont think Castleford is ready for corporate sponsorship yet :))) 

I just wanted the ground to swallow me up by this point:)

Luckily they had had a few beers and took it the right way.

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Remember the RLWC Qtr Final at Castleford in 2000 I was standing on the terracing with 3/4 of the top bods from an American IT company that were sponsoring France (They wanted to get the feeling of being amongst the fans) 

Standing in front of us was this huge women with her husband whose swearing got worse as the match went on, the tries and goals were sponsored by Motorola everytime there was a try or goal  (And there was a lot as NZ hammered France) the tannoy announcer would say something like Try for NZ scored by ----- and sponsored by Motorola.

For some reason she had a beef about this and after the 2nd try shouted f--- Motorola the abuse v Motorola escalated higher and higher thoroughout the match ending up with her screaming f f f f f-ing Motorola (She had also by this time started to sing an anti Motorola song and chant that she had made up. One of the American directors turned round to me and said I dont think Castleford is ready for corporate sponsorship yet :))) 

I just wanted the ground to swallow me up by this point:)

Luckily they had had a few beers and took it the right way.

I went to that game but don't remember much of the second half. 

Was pretty much leathered in the second half of each game I attended beginning at Twickers and culminating in the semis at Bolton and Huddersfield.

Paced myself for the final in Manchester. 

Goodness me it was cold during the tournament‼️🙄

2 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

You may have been young and impressionable at the time.

It may have been that there were no ' icons ' of the game playing on the pitch, so those memories were the highlights that have not been repeated.

There are worse sporting recollections ...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

i am a womble

16 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Well remembered. 

God how slow am I.  Thanks Bob.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Around 2000 -I don't recall the exact year but if you can help I'd appreciate it- we played at home against Fev in't playoffs.

For some reason I decided to stand below the scoreboard this game, something I rarely ever did. A lot of Fev fans were in there at the time and as kick off approached the atmosphere was growing and the banter was flowing, and all that jazz. 

A couple of arguments ensued and I distinctly remember a young kid turn around and say, 'I hope Stanley Gene rips Richard Chapman's head off and sh**s down him neck!'

We lost by 60 points 🤣

On 24/11/2020 at 20:37, Wigan Riversider said:

I went to that game but don't remember much of the second half. 

Was pretty much leathered in the second half of each game I attended beginning at Twickers and culminating in the semis at Bolton and Huddersfield.

Paced myself for the final in Manchester. 

Goodness me it was cold during the tournament‼️🙄

Did you go with the wife and did she have an issue with a Motorola phone at the time?... we may be able to piece a bit of the day together for you

17 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Around 2000 -I don't recall the exact year but if you can help I'd appreciate it- we played at home against Fev in't playoffs.

For some reason I decided to stand below the scoreboard this game, something I rarely ever did. A lot of Fev fans were in there at the time and as kick off approached the atmosphere was growing and the banter was flowing, and all that jazz. 

A couple of arguments ensued and I distinctly remember a young kid turn around and say, 'I hope Stanley Gene rips Richard Chapman's head off and sh**s down him neck!'

We lost by 60 points 🤣

A cold February night in Batley watching an A team game & meeting up with Shane Hanson this was about the fourth occasion this had happened but was definitely the coldest.

Two things he said that night still resonate in our house one was he was going to be an extra on Coronation Street and the other was something Gary Jack ( SRD Coach) said to him that day.

Shane had had quite an injury one of those niggling things that won't seem to heal and when Gary asked Shane about playing that week and was told it wasn't on the cards said something like

"I had that once and was playing in a week!"

The wife still uses it whenever she thinks I've got man-flu.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 24/11/2020 at 18:53, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Players No 6 seem to be a common denominator...

Did you use to take a sly whiff/smoke behind the school bike sheds in yer younger days... 

A midweek catch up game for me, untelevised saints vs Halifax at knowsley road, halifax winning and saints go for goal with 2 minutes left to draw or win (cant remember) then the kick hits the post and the chasing player catches the ball and scores the winner for saints! 

Another was a home game at langtree park where a wakey fan brought a dog that barked all the way through the game!

Bradford (Northern) v Widnes in a midweek game, I am thinking around 1994?? It was a fog bound Odsal, cant remember the result but I do recall it was Tiny Solomona's debut for Widnes and he couldn't catch the ball for love nor money.

1 hour ago, Viking Ste said:

Bradford (Northern) v Widnes in a midweek game, I am thinking around 1994?? It was a fog bound Odsal, cant remember the result but I do recall it was Tiny Solomona's debut for Widnes and he couldn't catch the ball for love nor money.

That’s the kiwi with a tash and mullet isn’t it??

Remember watching a Wigan game at a friend's house. Just before kick off he showed me a picture of his new girlfriend topless... she had subway cookie sized nipples... to this day I still have no idea who Wigan where playing and who won... (mental blank)

Late 80's, Cas were playing Leeds at Headingley . We were stood behind the sticks waiting for the teams to come out for kick off. A bloke who'd obviously had a few jars climbed over the low wall and stood facing the crowd. There weren't really any stewards in those days and order was kept by 2 bobbies slowly walking round the pitch side. He began telling the crowd this long joke at the top of his voice, and as the joke went on the bobbies were getting closer to him as they now walked along the dead ball line. He had one eye on the crowd and one on them, they had both eyes on him, I thought they were going to move him on but they stopped walking, listened to the end of the joke and let him climb back over the wall as he got a big cheer. 

I don't remember who won.

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Haha!! Must have been a hardcore fan to have travelled 300 odd miles upto Whitehaven.

In another Life I travelled far and wide and sometimes luck would advertise matches just down the road.

I also remember him at a Swinton match and being quoted as having a great might with the Lions fans. Talk about things you remember but you don't know why!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Late 80's, Cas were playing Leeds at Headingley . We were stood behind the sticks waiting for the teams to come out for kick off. A bloke who'd obviously had a few jars climbed over the low wall and stood facing the crowd. There weren't really any stewards in those days and order was kept by 2 bobbies slowly walking round the pitch side. He began telling the crowd this long joke at the top of his voice, and as the joke went on the bobbies were getting closer to him as they now walked along the dead ball line. He had one eye on the crowd and one on them, they had both eyes on him, I thought they were going to move him on but they stopped walking, listened to the end of the joke and let him climb back over the wall as he got a big cheer. 

I don't remember who won.

That’s a blast from the past.

I don’t know if was the same game but I remember a similar incident around 83/84. A lad I recognised from attending Whitwood Tech to do Auto Engeering once a week during the last 2 years of school in 79/80 (he was from Crofton High School) stood up on the small wall and started telling a joke.

He kept looking over his shoulder to see if the stewards were getting closer.  The joke seemed to go forever but all I remember is the punchline, which was ‘Titty for tatty’.

Also remember coming out of Headingley after we lost to Hull in one of the CC semi Finals in the mid 80’s and there was a white car that had the Hull Coat of Arms sprayed across the bonnet.  Every time after that when we played I kept looking for the car but never saw it again.

13 hours ago, Oxford said:

In another Life I travelled far and wide and sometimes luck would advertise matches just down the road.

I also remember him at a Swinton match and being quoted as having a great might with the Lions fans. Talk about things you remember but you don't know why!

Was his hat and jacket covered in badges or have I just imagined it?

Archived