Things you remember, but you've no idea why.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Was his hat and jacket covered in badges or have I just imagined it?

You didn't imagine it unless we both did!

I'm still wondering how he had a good night in Swinton!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

That’s a blast from the past.

I don’t know if was the same game but I remember a similar incident around 83/84. A lad I recognised from attending Whitwood Tech to do Auto Engeering once a week during the last 2 years of school in 79/80 (he was from Crofton High School) stood up on the small wall and started telling a joke.

He kept looking over his shoulder to see if the stewards were getting closer.  The joke seemed to go forever but all I remember is the punchline, which was ‘Titty for tatty’.

Also remember coming out of Headingley after we lost to Hull in one of the CC semi Finals in the mid 80’s and there was a white car that had the Hull Coat of Arms sprayed across the bonnet.  Every time after that when we played I kept looking for the car but never saw it again.

Titty for tatty was the punch line to the joke, 🙂 , brilliant.

I know it was late 80's because it was after the 86 CC final.

So either your mate only knew one joke and kept going to Headingley or everyone in Cas thought they were Bernard Manning :kolobok_preved:

4 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Titty for tatty was the punch line to the joke, 🙂 , brilliant.

I know it was late 80's because it was after the 86 CC final.

So either your mate only knew one joke and kept going to Headingley or everyone in Cas thought they were Bernard Manning :kolobok_preved:

It could well have been the later in the 80’s.  Looking back I only thought it was earlier as I still recognised the lad .... or it could be that he only had one joke in his repertoire 😄

P.S. as for the punchline I remember the joke included a naked woman and a bag of taties.

France v GB Agen 2001 which had been switched from Toulouse where we were staying on an organised trip. 

Met a bloke in bar in ground at half time from Warrington who had a mate with him crashed out on the floor sleeping  like a baby under a table. Sleeping baby's wife had apparently told him not to bother returning home if he went on trip to France. Never known but sometimes wonder what happened to him. 

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

It could well have been the later in the 80’s.  Looking back I only thought it was earlier as I still recognised the lad .... or it could be that he only had one joke in his repertoire 😄

P.S. as for the punchline I remember the joke included a naked woman and a bag of taties.

that's the one chap, the joke was fine, but he had the crowd laughing just by the way he was trying to tell it

I don't suppose you can recall the who won can you............ 🙂

On 26/11/2020 at 21:22, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Always remember watching haven play London crusaders in the early 90’s at the Recre and this old crusaders fans hat&jacket covered in small badges shouting “c’mon Landon” every  30 seconds much to the amusement of the haven fans standing in the scratching shed.

"Young" Harry Stammers. Legend . Absolute legend.

2 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

that's the one chap, the joke was fine, but he had the crowd laughing just by the way he was trying to tell it

I don't suppose you can recall the who won can you............ 🙂

Bl00dy hell Ronnie I only just remembered the punchline ..... but just for you I looked up my old Rothmans Yearbooks for the late 80’s.  The results at Headingley after the CC win went:

12.4.87 Leeds 8 - 16 Cas (League). att 5996
6.12.87 Leeds 44 - 0 Cas (League).  Att 10716
31.1.88 Leeds 22 - 14 Cas (Cc1). Att 14757
12.11.88 Leeds 12 - 21 Cas (JPS1). Att 10006
19.3.89 Leeds 32 - 18 Cas (League). Att 12576
26.12.89 Leeds 25 - 18 Cas (League) Att 18350

I am pretty sure that it was a cup game as Cas supporters had packed out the scoreboard end so I would guess that it was the CC1 game.

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Bl00dy hell Ronnie I only just remembered the punchline ..... but just for you I looked up my old Rothmans Yearbooks for the late 80’s.  The results at Headingley after the CC win went:

12.4.87 Leeds 8 - 16 Cas (League). att 5996
6.12.87 Leeds 44 - 0 Cas (League).  Att 10716
31.1.88 Leeds 22 - 14 Cas (Cc1). Att 14757
12.11.88 Leeds 12 - 21 Cas (JPS1). Att 10006
19.3.89 Leeds 32 - 18 Cas (League). Att 12576
26.12.89 Leeds 25 - 18 Cas (League) Att 18350

I am pretty sure that it was a cup game as Cas supporters had packed out the scoreboard end so I would guess that it was the CC1 game.

cheers chap, the CC game could be right, I don't remember the score but there was a game I was behind the sticks and came away suitably p**d off, I can remember a Cas player hacking the ball towards the try line and then being tackled without the ball*, my hazy memory says one of the Beardmore's.

* I don't think he would have got to it **

** I know he wouldn't have got to it :kolobok_negative:

On 24/11/2020 at 19:08, ATLANTISMAN said:

Remember the RLWC Qtr Final at Castleford in 2000 I was standing on the terracing with 3/4 of the top bods from an American IT company that were sponsoring France (They wanted to get the feeling of being amongst the fans) 

Standing in front of us was this huge women with her husband whose swearing got worse as the match went on, the tries and goals were sponsored by Motorola everytime there was a try or goal  (And there was a lot as NZ hammered France) the tannoy announcer would say something like Try for NZ scored by ----- and sponsored by Motorola.

For some reason she had a beef about this and after the 2nd try shouted f--- Motorola the abuse v Motorola escalated higher and higher thoroughout the match ending up with her screaming f f f f f-ing Motorola (She had also by this time started to sing an anti Motorola song and chant that she had made up. One of the American directors turned round to me and said I dont think Castleford is ready for corporate sponsorship yet :))) 

I just wanted the ground to swallow me up by this point:)

Luckily they had had a few beers and took it the right way.

I remember being at that game, asking Tony Smith (the Cas/Wigan halfback) for his autograph and also asking some guy decked out in NZ gear (and draped in the flag too) if he’d come from New Zealand...’don’t be silly kid, I’m from cleckheaton’ was his reply. 

Things I remember but don’t know why:

Leigh vs Whitehaven in the 2004 promotion grand final, the great Tommy Martyn shouting ‘boo’ at a Haven player who was about to receive the ball who promptly knocked it on. Tommy couldn’t stop laughing.

Barrie McDermott playing for Leeds at Cas walking back to the Wheldon Road end after Leeds had scored a try...he was getting all kinds of abuse and turned his back then stuck 2 fingers up behind his back, turning his head round to give us a wink and a grin, I miss characters like that, he gave it and took it, there were no idiots throwing things or frothing at the mouth just a bit of banter between one of the great characters and a passionate crowd. Nowadays if a player did that there’d be complaints to the club, someone would have chucked a bottle st him, he’d have had to apologise (through his twitter account) and there’d be a 15 page thread on here.

Driving down to West Wales vs York (West Wales had cancelled a few home games last minute) having my partner check their Twitter page every 15 mins to make sure it was still on. Arriving and seeing only about 10 West Wales players warming up, they didn’t even have tackle bags or cones from what I remember.

Getting horribly sunburnt in the open stand at Blackpool as Hull KR beat Cas in the northern trains cup final, my dad dressed up as Tubbs (from League of Gentlemen) for the day.

A mid-winter midweek game in the 80s between Cas and Wigan at Wheldon Road. 

It had been snowing and every time the Wigan players were gathered under the sticks at the Wheldon Road end, they would get pelted with snowballs. One hit Kelvin Skerrett in the face, which got a massive cheer. He was furious and some of the other players had to hold him back as he was gesturing as if wanted to try and get into the crowd. 

Same match later on, Ellery Hanley was closest to the crowd and got pelted by 2 or 3 snowballs. He just stood there, let them hit him, didn't even turn round. So cool. Pretty sure he won the game for Wigan as well. 

I recall clearly going to Carlaw Park in 1970 with my Dad and brother to watch GB vs the Kiwis, my first test match. The Kiwis took an early lead with a try by Roger Bailey but as the game progressed the GB side took control. 33-16 in the end. Some great names involved.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/new-zealand-vs-great-britain-1970/game-3/new-zealand-vs-great-britain/summary.html

There was an oldish drunk English guy sitting near us who called out all game "Go the Pom-Poms" then "Go the Lilly Whites". 

Actually I do know why I remember. Should'nt have posted realty. Edited the comment to apologise. Duh.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, Cake Tiger said:

A mid-winter midweek game in the 80s between Cas and Wigan at Wheldon Road. 

It had been snowing and every time the Wigan players were gathered under the sticks at the Wheldon Road end, they would get pelted with snowballs. One hit Kelvin Skerrett in the face, which got a massive cheer. He was furious and some of the other players had to hold him back as he was gesturing as if wanted to try and get into the crowd. 

Same match later on, Ellery Hanley was closest to the crowd and got pelted by 2 or 3 snowballs. He just stood there, let them hit him, didn't even turn round. So cool. Pretty sure he won the game for Wigan as well. 

I went to that game, it was a rearranged Challenge Cup Tie. Terrible conditions, and if I remember correctly, Wigan won easy.

Just remembered this one from the early 90,s

London v Whitehaven (I think it was) on a Wednesday night at Barnet.

OK here is the story sitting behind me are the late Colin Welland and Brian Glover (Most matches they would have these loud funny conversations)

The club that night had invited all the MP,s to the match that represented a rugby league constituency.

A week or so previously tory MP Stephen Milligan had been found dead in an act of autoerotic asphyxiation 

Welland to Glover Where are MPs sitting in stand Brian

Glover to Colin Cant you see you bloody idiot they are the ones with the bin liners over their heads 

Cue massive laughter from all within hearing distance 

On 24/11/2020 at 19:08, ATLANTISMAN said:

Remember the RLWC Qtr Final at Castleford in 2000 I was standing on the terracing with 3/4 of the top bods from an American IT company that were sponsoring France (They wanted to get the feeling of being amongst the fans) 

Standing in front of us was this huge women with her husband whose swearing got worse as the match went on, the tries and goals were sponsored by Motorola everytime there was a try or goal  (And there was a lot as NZ hammered France) the tannoy announcer would say something like Try for NZ scored by ----- and sponsored by Motorola.

For some reason she had a beef about this and after the 2nd try shouted f--- Motorola the abuse v Motorola escalated higher and higher thoroughout the match ending up with her screaming f f f f f-ing Motorola (She had also by this time started to sing an anti Motorola song and chant that she had made up. One of the American directors turned round to me and said I dont think Castleford is ready for corporate sponsorship yet :))) 

I just wanted the ground to swallow me up by this point:)

Luckily they had had a few beers and took it the right way.

Run that one past me again, just why did you remember this game?

Approx 1986, I was 8 ish, and queing for the toilets at headingley at the side of the main stand, there was a burger van at the side too. A bloke was saying the sport wouldn't be here in a couple of years because it was failing. I was devastated at the time and took it like it could happen. I've never forgot that. Funny too, how over 30 years later I still here the same conversations at the games.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived