Clubs outside Super League-Where do they stand now?

If as I am seeing the Super League/RFL have accepted a deal from SKY  which is less than what SKY currently pay,where does this leave Championship and Championship 1 clubs?

Are they going to be getting substantially less than the already peanuts they currently get?

Or are they going to end up getting nothing from the RFL?

Or are the these clubs going to find themselves another broadcasting partner that will give them at the very least what they already get funding wise? And will they be allowed to do this by the RFL?

And there is not much time to do something either.

Depends how many of 25 Clubs can pay their players. Without central distribution of revenue. If they can't its NCL time for them. But without several hundred paying fans they get at Semi Pro, can these clubs that don't own grounds pay for a ground acceptable to the NCL. 

52 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

If as I am seeing the Super League/RFL have accepted a deal from SKY  which is less than what SKY currently pay,where does this leave Championship and Championship 1 clubs?

Are they going to be getting substantially less than the already peanuts they currently get?

Or are the these clubs going to find themselves another broadcasting partner that will give them at the very least what they already get funding wise? And will they be allowed to do this by the RFL?

As long as 1 up, 1 down with SL exists There is always going to be great competition for promotion glory and fans / sponsors / owners willing to invest. If they manage to swindle that shut and close the shop, that's the time its all over. 

9 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Depends how many of 25 Clubs can pay their players. Without central distribution of revenue. If they can't its NCL time for them. But without several hundred paying fans they get at Semi Pro, can these clubs that don't own grounds pay for a ground acceptable to the NCL. 

Most pro clubs don’t meet criteria of the NCL

10 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

The short answer: no one knows and anyone who says they do is lying.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The short answer: no one knows and anyone who says they do is lying.

But, if you are familiar with the numbers at a particular club you can make a fairly reasonable fiscal assessment of what a reduction of x% will have on that club's operating accounts.

I'm sure the rights to Rugby below SL will be tied into the new deal so championship clubs couldn't negotiate a new deal even if they wanted to.

I suspect some clubs will fold.... but thats nowt new.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

But, if you are familiar with the numbers at a particular club you can make a fairly reasonable fiscal assessment of what a reduction of x% will have on that club's operating accounts.

I'm sure the rights to Rugby below SL will be tied into the new deal so championship clubs couldn't negotiate a new deal even if they wanted to.

I suspect some clubs will fold.... but thats nowt new.

The last we were told was that there were two deals on offer to broadcasters. One for Super League and one for the 'RFL' properties of championship, internationals and the Challenge Cup.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Much is made of this criteria. Not hard to meet should it not be possible to continue in the pro game, for Clubs determined to continue to exist that is. 

The criteria is geared towards community clubs ie junior sections etc. A lot of pro clubs wouldn’t be able to set up this infrastructure without detriment to existing community clubs in the area

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And would the existing NCL clubs want ex pro clubs in their league.

The NCL is a members league and the power lies with the clubs. Any new teams would have to enter from the bottom

That said it has happened before when the old Division Three disbanded, but those clubs didn’t last very long

51 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The last we were told was that there were two deals on offer to broadcasters. One for Super League and one for the 'RFL' properties of championship, internationals and the Challenge Cup.

That's true. However if negotiations got a bit desperate I wouldn't bet against the championship being folded back into the SL package. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

6 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

That's true. However if negotiations got a bit desperate I wouldn't bet against the championship being folded back into the SL package. 

Don't disagree but, right now, we simply don't know what has been agreed about anything.

18 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

They'd be inclined to show solidarity overall. All depends on the individual clubs applications. 

Solidarity won't come into it,the only thing that will is if the clubs/league feel there will be a genuine benefit to accepting these ex pro clubs.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I think we'll see a split between the BBC and Sky for those RFL. The Cup and Internationals to the beeb is virtually certain, at least to FTA.

That said, a weekly Championship game on the Beeb or red button wouldn't be the end of the world, though it would almost certainly not have the same cash value as the current arrangement. 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think we'll see a split between the BBC and Sky for those RFL. The Cup and Internationals to the beeb is virtually certain, at least to FTA.

That said, a weekly Championship game on the Beeb or red button wouldn't be the end of the world, though it would almost certainly not have the same cash value as the current arrangement. 

I think I said similar when they announced that's what they were doing. The red button already has a feast of non-top level football and rugby union alongside other sports and Championship RL would fit very well there.

17 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

How many people use OurLeague? Would they be able to ask for a nominal subscription? I'd pay (if it was "nominal" anyway)

Can't start charging on that just yet. Probably needs another 5 or 6 years of development, investment and improvement and to grow a viewership as well in that time frame. It's coming along nice and steady but still a long way to go. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Can't start charging on that just yet. Probably needs another 5 or 6 years of development, investment and improvement and to grow a viewership as well in that time frame. It's coming along nice and steady but still a long way to go. 

I agree it's got potential but needs work. First thing I would do (if it hasn't been done already last used the app early this year) is get it on the amazon app store, Roku app store (which would allow it for NowTV boxes) and on all these other streaming devices. 

As soon as you make people cast to a device you lose a proportion of people who don't feel technically competent enough to do it, then they're stuck watching it on a phone/tablet instead of a big screen which lessens the experience.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think I said similar when they announced that's what they were doing. The red button already has a feast of non-top level football and rugby union alongside other sports and Championship RL would fit very well there.

I could definitely see that. Lets be honest even with the chosen team being brought up to SL this year the Championship has a few decent sized clubs in there that could be the basis of a decent TV schedule.

With that in mind though I think some clubs will end up on the hypothetical Red Button far more than others.

32 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I agree it's got potential but needs work. First thing I would do (if it hasn't been done already last used the app early this year) is get it on the amazon app store, Roku app store (which would allow it for NowTV boxes) and on all these other streaming devices. 

As soon as you make people cast to a device you lose a proportion of people who don't feel technically competent enough to do it, then they're stuck watching it on a phone/tablet instead of a big screen which lessens the experience.

Bang on. 

Archived