I wish British Rugby League had a true leader like this

13 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Saw this article yesterday in the Australian and the only way you can look at it is as a $800m investment in Rugby League, would be the best thing for the game in so many areas as we attempt to attract new fans to the game ,if they can have an amazing game day experience. The fact that so many of our teams in this billion dollar competition play out of second rate stadiums is just wrong, if we really want to be taken seriously we need stadiums to match.

It`s important to market this as being for other codes though to get the non-League loving public on side, it has to be seen for everyone.

One point that did ring alarm bells for me though, V`landy`s mentions these grounds as being home for cricket as well, this would be an unmitigated stuff up if they are not rectangular grounds, the fans have to be close to the action, he has to stand his ground on this, otherwise this will be a waste of time, the #### will have f***ing afl goal posts in there next. This has to be sold for League, soccer, union.

18 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Amazing game day experience once was watching the juniors then the reserves then first grade. I suspect the 2021 Version will be less actual games and more razzamatazz at an increased price

No, a better game day experience will be for fans, old and new, and hopefully taking along their young impressionables, to a packed 20 000  seated, fully undercover, close to the action, with handy amenities and reasonably priced food and drinks with not too long queues with ample parking or very close to public transport links, type stadium.

The type of experience that people will plan  a day out for, just for the experience, even if they are not rusted on Rugby League fans, but having been thrilled being in that crowd might think, Hey let`s do that again some time Mum/Dad ! that was fun. Next time they might wear a bit of Tigers(whoever) merchandise or take a flag, or even all get dressed up and the whole thing becomes an event before they even leave the house. And so begins a family tradition once, twice, three times or maybe every home game throughout the season.

That`s what we want, everywhere League is played. The product is thrilling, let`s bring everything up to scratch around that.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s a long shot, but why the NRL don’t push for one of these to be built at Cronulla, one Sydney club that actually owns its ground is beyond me. Securing Cronulla’s future has never been high on the NRLs agenda though.

You might have answered your own question here. How would it sit for the NSW government to spend public money on property owned by the club? One bandanna-wearing taxpayer would be especially unhappy. And would the Sharks want to compromise their autonomy with a quid pro quo?

11 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

You might have answered your own question here. How would it sit for the NSW government to spend public money on property owned by the club? One bandanna-wearing taxpayer would be especially unhappy. And would the Sharks want to compromise their autonomy with a quid pro quo?

Sharks have already said they would be willing to offer equity in the venue to the state government or the NRL.

These grants will not be going to state owned facilities by the way.

On 25/11/2020 at 23:03, The Rocket said:

One point that did ring alarm bells for me though, V`landy`s mentions these grounds as being home for cricket as well, this would be an unmitigated stuff up if they are not rectangular grounds, the fans have to be close to the action

Spectators are a fair distance from the pitch in many parts of Kogarah Oval. How will the upgrade address that?

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Spectators are a fair distance from the pitch in many parts of Kogarah Oval. How will the upgrade address that?

I don`t think that Kogarah is that much different from other grounds maybe set back a little further at the northern end but obviously the whole thing would be reconfigured.

Have to admit that I am a little surprised that Kogarah are on their potential up-grade list, especially considering that their long term future may be else where. Lot of soccer played in that area though. I would have thought that Campbelltown would be a much better option.

The Sharks were a great idea when it was the NSWRL now they are just a small club with a limited fan potential catchment area that has no scope for growth. Juniors aren`t such an issue if you have money because you can always bring them in and they have Endeavour Sports High in their region, good carrot for any aspiring sports person and then you can billet them. But as long as they, the Sharks, can generate an income I suppose we are stuck with them.

A potential solution to all of this is if St.George move permanently south one day. Sharks could then potentially draw fans from further north. Unspoken policy of both major political parties is that one day Australia will have a population of between 40 - 50 million, despite denials from both parties in response to public outcries, the reality is that most serious analysts see that figure as being about enough to give us a bit more clout and other domestic advantages with regards to the size of our domestic market, economies of scale and all that.

I mention this because when this happens Wollongong will be a 1 million person city, and most likely St. George will have migrated down there permanently. The name St. George will have some historical significance and not be a suburb in Sydney. The Illawarra will fully adopt them. I do agree that the present situation of Illawarra tacked on the end is probably no different to Manly `Warringah` and Canterbury `Bankstown`.

While we are on the Oz RL thread, I finally had the chance at Christmas to catch up with my sister`s son, he`s a school teacher at King`s College, home of Joseph Su`ualli, I been dying to quiz him all about the boy, he didn`t even know who I was talking about at first, so much for the King of Kings`. I got the impression that there was a lot more than one Joseph Su`ualli at that school. I did get one nugget out of him though, apparently all the coaches are bought in from outside, ex-wallabies the lot. No expense spared. I think that boy alone is on a scholarship of about sixty thousand a year.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t think that Kogarah is that much different from other grounds maybe set back a little further at the northern end but obviously the whole thing would be reconfigured.

The Sharks were a great idea when it was the NSWRL now they are just a small club with a limited fan potential catchment area that has no scope for growth. Juniors aren`t such an issue if you have money because you can always bring them in and they have Endeavour Sports High in their region, good carrot for any aspiring sports person and then you can billet them. But as long as they, the Sharks, can generate an income I suppose we are stuck with them.

A potential solution to all of this is if St.George move permanently south one day. Sharks could then potentially draw fans from further north. Unspoken policy of both major political parties is that one day Australia will have a population of between 40 - 50 million, despite denials from both parties in response to public outcries, the reality is that most serious analysts see that figure as being about enough to give us a bit more clout and other domestic advantages with regards to the size of our domestic market, economies of scale and all that.

The shape of the oval at Kogarah appears much wider on all sides than at Brookvale or Leichardt. 

It`s possible Sports Prophet might wish to take you to task over your paragraph about the Sharks. I`ll just throw a few long-distance thoughts and questions into the mix. -

They have one of the stronger junior leagues. I`ve read they`re engaged in substantial property deals which if successful, added to ownership of Shark Park, could make them one of the most asset-rich NRL clubs. Isn`t there a lot of higher-rise building taking place in the Shire, which will increase the population? And isn`t one of their problems the number of locals like Adam Hills, who inherit a family attachment to other clubs? This will surely fade over time.

Finally, can the driest continent on earth sustain a population of 50 million?

Archived