Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I just dont get this 2018 league finishes, what team will be remotely like the team tgat finished that season going into 2021.

Please explain growth and value leaving out suppositions.

2019.  But the same applies almost equally to 2020.

Elstone has said previously that providing growth and value to existing partners is his role.  There is nothing really controversial there.  Those should therefore be the overarching objectives of this process, or at least guiding principles. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Celt said:

That would be a disaster.

I think that's a bit of a harsh assessment.  Fev appear to be a well governed club who were superb in getting to the play off final in 2019.

All the applicants will have strengths and weaknesses without any club being an obvious clear choice.

7 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

Why?

They make the least sense out of all the applicants.

Bradford have the story but IMO are least worthy.

Toulouse leading team in the championship for a number of seasons and buys in to the kind of expansion which seems acceptable.

Fev in the same vein have been around the top of the championship for a decade now, for me they have proven they deserve a shot.

London have the money man and tick the expansion box. They also have the highest finishing position out of the teams in the last full season. Im not easy with them having another chance though.

Leigh again have been there or there abouts and have had a taste of SL. As much as Beaumont is a plus for them he is also a worry for the future of Leigh been a viable SL team.

York will have a nice new stadium and 1 good finish in the championship. I don't think that puts them above any of the candidates above so for me they would be the least likely and the biggest shock if they got in. For me they look to have applied to show ambition rather than believing they have a serious chance.

If Halifx were still in I would rate our chances better than both York and Bradford but worse than the other 4 at this moment.

My head says I cant seperate Leigh, London, Fev, and Toulouse. Bradford should stand no chance but this is Rugby League and the RFL need someone to pay for the stadium they own the lease on. York have little hope and they need to keep building on and off the field.

Its a real shame as being honest the only way SL will grow is with Toulouse in and a successful London club, however the noises coming from some suggest that we are about to step back to become basically an M62 league + Catalans (Who i personally cannot see surviving in the present system more than 2/3 seasons) They need a boost as its basically become same old same old.

We really do need a strong championship with TV funding and at least one up and one down as much as I understand ring fencing/franchising (Call it what you will) P and R is in our DNA.

The clubs that come though this will have seriously strong secondary revenue streams.

Paul

Personally I’d like to see York get promoted, they’ve steadily grown with a good financial footing over the last two or three years. They’ve just moved into a purpose-built Stadium which would be a great asset to super league.

Perhaps their biggest attribute would be geographical as it’s a small step from rugby league heartland into a city that has an international profile  and a well established  amateur  game surrounding it. If the rugby league has ambitions to expand into the north-east then York would be the logical choice! 

2 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

I think the key words here are growth and value.

Costs the least.

The least competitive.

Provides the minimum of problems.

Has an agreeable Chairman.

More bums on seats that the others.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

leythers wont be angry if we dont get in coz we know we av a good chance of going up via promotion next year.i hope if we dont go up fev or toulouse go up as those 3 teams are miles better on the field than the others mentioned.either way whoever goes up i will be supporting them in super league next year and hoping they stay up just so the self centred super league teams suffer and hopefully one of them gets relegated

9 minutes ago, leytherz said:

leythers wont be angry if we dont get in coz we know we av a good chance of going up via promotion next year.i hope if we dont go up fev or toulouse go up as those 3 teams are miles better on the field than the others mentioned.either way whoever goes up i will be supporting them in super league next year and hoping they stay up just so the self centred super league teams suffer and hopefully one of them gets relegated

Yeah   I agree

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

Jeez. The meltdown if Leigh don’t get the nod will be epic 😂😂

i'm with the rest of the Leigh fans on this spidey. I do not think we deserve it. The way forward for me is toulouse or york.

I'm bias because I love York as a city ,I would love them to do well.

On the other hand, I am in favour of expansion, so I would really like for toulouse to be promoted. Good luck and best wishes to whoever gets the nod, but I sincerley hope its not leigh

5 hours ago, leytherz said:

Not promoting them this year is just the first phase of the plot against the Leythers...

When Toulouse look like getting relegated halfway through the season, the RFL will move the goalposts and expand to 14 teams for 2022. Suddenly,  big city expansion will be flavour of the month following big increases in average crowds in 2021 (mainly due to the 3  all French derbies held at big stadia).

Leigh win the championship GF, but that only counts as part of the new new criteria for promotion. After the new new super independent committee has met, they decide on York and London for the 13th and 14th team.

Will they be angry then? 😂

10 hours ago, leytherz said:

Oh , I think a lot of them will be , maybe not the ones on here , but the Facebook page will explode 😁

14 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

2019.  But the same applies almost equally to 2020.

Elstone has said previously that providing growth and value to existing partners is his role.  There is nothing really controversial there.  Those should therefore be the overarching objectives of this process, or at least guiding principles. 

That is not an answer to the question I posed Gavin.

It is like me asking you how does any particular automatic machine work and you replying automatically.

You said the keywords were growth and value, all I am asking is how will York provide that to SL.

12 hours ago, Oxford said:

More bums on seats that the others.

Really, 

I keep seeing this oft qouted poll that has York comfortably as the preferential choice, I would ask will all those who voted for York get up out of the living room and get along to watch, alternatively will those who voted for York and remain in their living room if not already a Sky subscriber will the inclusion of York into SL persuade them to take out a Sky subscription.

York average attendance 2019 - 2125, but the main thing in that figure is how many home fans attended, if selected it will be interesting to observe how many more bums they put on the seats.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, 

I keep seeing this oft qouted poll that has York comfortably as the preferential choice, I would ask will all those who voted for York get up out of the living room and get along to watch, alternatively will those who voted for York and remain in their living room if not already a Sky subscriber will the inclusion of York into SL persuade them to take out a Sky subscription.

York average attendance 2019 - 2125, but the main thing in that figure is how many home fans attended, if selected it will be interesting to observe how many more bums they put on the seats.

That will be the difference between Fans' imaginings and the business decision of  those adventurous SL chairmen.

People who respond to an LE survey is likely to give that kind of result.

I don't understand why you picked that one out Harry, the other criteria were far more telling.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Put some meat on the bones of your other criteria Oxy, more bums on seats was easy to respond to.

I'm not sure what you mean 'arry I thought these were all straight forward and self-explanatory! But I'll give it a go.

13 hours ago, Oxford said:

Costs the least. Minimum travel

The least competitive. Will go down again without too much trouble

Provides the minimum of problems. Logistics of airplanes, flights etc

Has an agreeable Chairman.One that won't rock the boat for the few moments they're in SL

More bums on seats that the others. The real defining issue

So M62,reasonable expectation of relegation, bring most fans and a chairman who will agree with us (SL)

The value and other notions from Elstone in a nutshell.

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I'm not sure what you mean 'arry I thought these were all straight forward and self-explanatory! But I'll give it a go.

So M62,reasonable expectation of relegation, bring most fans and a chairman who will agree with us (SL)

The value and other notions from Elstone in a nutshell.

So you are in all intent and purpose going back to a question I posed a few days ago in relation to the independent panel that has no affiliation with any club, which has been sourced and put together at great expense (well at least that sounds meaningful), but has infact been primed and is ready to exert the instructions handed down by SL and conveyed by Mr Elstone. H'mmmm food for thought that Oxy!

Archived