Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

Do York have sufficient financial backing to assemble a competative full time squad because I don't think £1m will be enough.The assumption seems to be the promoted club would be odds-on for relegation.Would York be able to survive that with no parachute payment? Serious questions,I don't know the answers.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, binosh said:

Bradford without a shadow of a doubt and then watch all the usual board hoggers hammering the word “insular” into their keyboard raging.

No a broad range of forum users will be typing the word ridiculous,because thats what accepting a basket case like Bradford would be.

3 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Do York have sufficient financial backing to assemble a competative full time squad because I don't think £1m will be enough.The assumption seems to be the promoted club would be odds-on for relegation.Would York be able to survive that with no parachute payment? Serious questions,I don't know the answers.

Do any of the contenders ?

If it is Bradford then we might as well all give up, i can envisage the Goebbels press release from SL now:(

* Chance to welcome back a successful club

* Wonderful following 

* Once in a lifetime too good to miss

* Stability in these troubles times blah blah blah etc etc etc 

Reality

* Cheap 

* Less travel expenses

* Extra money from away fans

* 100% on to be relegated 

There's going to be a few surprised faces when they announce York. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Just now, Simon Hall said:

There's going to be a few surprised faces when they announce York. 

I think they'd be a great addition but I would have liked to see them expect from relegation for 3 years, same goes for any team 'promoted'

If it is Bradford, I will enjoy the return of the Leeds V Bradford derby very much but I just think it will be a massive opportunity wasted just to put them back in, York have a great stadium, they've been building as a decent team for a few years now and it would be a great away day for all the fans, however it could be the worst thing to happen to them if they just go straight back down again

I was massively against Leigh or Fev being chosen at the start, nothing against either club but I want to game to expand beyond the M62 (would happily see either of them promoted at the expense of one particular SL club who’d never be in SL given the criteria they have endorsed though).
However on last week’s Golden Point podcast David Longo (?) from Fev was on and he gave such a positive spiel about why they should be chosen that I was almost convinced. 

31 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Well I've just had a win on the lottery and donated it to the club so make of that what you will.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

For me it has to be Toulouse. They have been pretty much self funded and have been highly competitive. They have navigated back and forth to the UK for 4 seasons at no expense to the game - all this is aside of another French club and derby for Catalans.

Get them in!

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

There is no way it should be Bradford with that stadium.  Maybe though a Bulls back in SL will re engage old fans and provide the momentum to build a new stadium if Bulls can pull in 7000 or so.

With the capacity requirement cut from 12,000 to 5,000 then I would suspect they'd only spend the money required to open the main stand (4,890 according to Wiki) and the hospitality suites behind the sticks and leave the terracing to rot.

39 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

If it is Bradford then we might as well all give up, i can envisage the Goebbels press release from SL now:(

* Chance to welcome back a successful club

* Wonderful following 

* Once in a lifetime too good to miss

* Stability in these troubles times blah blah blah etc etc etc 

Reality

* Cheap 

* Less travel expenses

* Extra money from away fans

* 100% on to be relegated 

🖕

This

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Leigh are at the bottom of my list of choices to get in.

At least with Bradford there is a story to sell to the wider sporting public (former giants of SL are back etc etc)

With Leigh I'm struggling to think of any positive spin on them being readmitted, sorry Leigh fans.

It’s ok Chris, not everyone can be intelligent

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

It’s ok Chris, not everyone can be intelligent

Yep you're living proof of that

😉

Go on sell the positives of Leigh being readmitted, remember Im talking about a story here one that will make the sport look good, what will Leigh bring to the party over the others?

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

At least with Bradford there is a story to sell to the wider sporting public (former giants of SL are back etc etc)

Also another spin on that is what sort of a sport allows a crackpot club in to their top tier simply because they once used to attract big crowds by giving out free tickets at the expense of another 6 teams who are better placed.

Its got to be Toulouse, should have been 2 French teams  in SLE from the very start, If we want better tv deals then we have to stop being a regional league,

Just now, The Blues Ox said:

Also another spin on that is what sort of a sport allows a crackpot club in to their top tier simply because they once used to attract big crowds by giving out free tickets at the expense of another 6 teams who are better placed.

but as I say there is a decent story to sell the Bulls being back in Super League. Most people won't have a clue about them being a crackpot club they just know they were successful a while back.

I don't think they should be promoted by the way.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yep you're living proof of that

😉

Go on sell the positives of Leigh being readmitted, remember Im talking about a story here one that will make the sport look good, what will Leigh bring to the party over the others?

You've done it now,the beacons will be getting lit.

Archived