Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

None of that is true, Leigh should be nowhere being promoted.

Leigh had better attendances in their last season in Super League than Bradford did in their last season in Super League. Fact. 

LSV is a better facility than Dewsbury or Odsal. Subjective but I’d rather watch a game at the LSV than Odsal. 

Leigh are closer to being a full-time side than Bradford. Who knows but I imagine that Leigh would be closer to going full time than Bradford are.

Leigh offer more to Super League than Bradford. Again, subjective but looking at the two squads, Leigh’s, IMO, is closer to being a Super League side than Bradford. 

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

That's probably why Leigh won't get chosen, I suspect 

That's absolutely how I'd have seen it going if it was a club vote, but surely that sort of thing can't come in to the thinking of an independent body?

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Leigh had better attendances in their last season in Super League than Bradford did in their last season in Super League. Fact. 

LSV is a better facility than Dewsbury or Odsal. Subjective but I’d rather watch a game at the LSV than Odsal. 

Leigh are closer to being a full-time side than Bradford. Who knows but I imagine that Leigh would be closer to going full time than Bradford are.

Leigh offer more to Super League than Bradford. Again, subjective but looking at the two squads, Leigh’s, IMO, is closer to being a Super League side than Bradford. 

I suspect HS wasn't quite being serious. You're spot on with all the above, though. I think folk's memories are playing tricks on them when it comes to Odsal. We were (un)lucky enough to play there in 2019 and I've never felt so disconnected from a game since last going to the Don Valley Stadium. You're so distant from everything that you might as well be watching it on TV. If the telly was in the next room to you.

BTW I'm fairly sure we're going to be full-time in the Championship regardless of the promotion outcome FWIW.

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is there only Leigh and Bradford up for 12th place now then?

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

44 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In many ways I'd rather Super League just had a plan and made their choice - as unpopular as it may be or otherwise - and state their reasons for it rather than creating this charade.

What we have now is a reflection of the modern way though, isn't it? Avoid responsibility and accountability at all costs whilst being prepared to accept the praise if anything comes to fruition. Hence we have governments and the civil service appointing consultants at the drop of a hat, there to be blamed if the pre-ordained decision proves to be wrong.

Listening to Elstone's comments that have been dripped into the media at regular intervals and he is clearly influencing the decision as much as he can then fanfaring the independence of the panel which is to reach his preferred conclusion.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

What we have now is a reflection of the modern way though, isn't it? Avoid responsibility and accountability at all costs whilst being prepared to accept the praise if anything comes to fruition. Hence we have governments and the civil service appointing consultants at the drop of a hat, there to be blamed if the pre-ordained decision proves to be wrong.

Listening to Elstone's comments that have been dripped into the media at regular intervals and he is clearly influencing the decision as much as he can then fanfaring the independence of the panel which is to reach his preferred conclusion.

You could be on to something there. Odds on Dominic Cummings' next role being with SL...?!

36 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well for once we agree on something Dav, would this sort of what would only suggest unequal treatment illegal towards Nigel Wood should Bradford get chosen actually be legal, could it be challenged if any club really wanted it that much and could put up a much better all round application of things which are actually tangible and can be acconted for.

I tried putting this through Google translate but it gave up.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Col81 said:

after seeing that Toulose video i was very excited about going there. Joke that it is Bradford how does Odsal get a safety certificate if they play there? i presume they will play at another ground

With the size of the main stand, they'll only need to pay a finite amount to bring that up to safety standards and they've satisfied the 5,000 capacity criteria. You'd have to assume the long-term plan is to share with Bradford (Park Avenue) but there again that would be on the assumption that there is any sort of long-term plan.

5 minutes ago, Col81 said:

after seeing that Toulose video i was very excited about going there. Joke that it is Bradford how does Odsal get a safety certificate if they play there? i presume they will play at another ground

I am not promoting their bid by any means but apparently there are serious plans currently in place for a major development at Odsal with stock-car promoters taking a genuine interest in making some genuinely large investments at the ground. Couple that with the council being very encouraging (but skint) and the RFL wanting to get a return on their lease-holding and stranger things could happen than a return to the place of their past glories.

47 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Apologies, I hadn't meant to come across as divisional as I acknowledged in a thread the damage that has done to the game post-licencing and indeed wider society post-Brexit in particular. Yes I would be watching along with most others on this forum, but that's more out of a fierce loyalty to the game and maybe a touch of morbid fascination more than anything else. The neutral viewer that we're so desperate to attract isn't going to stick around for long when turning on to see a once iconic club getting stuffed playing in a crumbling wreck with a pitch that has to have carpet over the corners of the in-goal area.

You have no need to apologise Matt, my post wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular. It was just about how we're drawn into taking side passionately which is a great look for  teams' fans but pretty naff for more or less everything else.

"Yes I would be watching along with most others on this forum, but that's more out of a fierce loyalty to the game ....." excellent and a good reminder of the importance of what we share. We also watch for the real glorious underdog wins times.

One sided games depress me, the one thing they're not is Rugby League.

The neutral viewer will probably only watch certain games and those may be the top v top ones. It would be interesting to have more knowledge about that though I doubt the RFL or SL have looked into it with the data from their partner, Sky.

Stay well  & keep safe

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

What comments?

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

What comments?

Just read LE over the last couple of weeks for a start. Otherwise I'm not going to play your usual game RP.

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

Just read LE over the last couple of weeks for a start. Otherwise I'm not going to play your usual game RP.

Just put some context into why you say Elstone is fixing it to get Bradford in. I can see why some Yorkshire clubs would want Bradford in.  They want their away support.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Just put some context into why you say Elstone is fixing it to get Bradford in. I can see why some Yorkshire clubs would want Bradford in.  They want their away support.

There you go again RP,  putting words into my mouth. As you know full well I didn't say any such thing.

Keep trying.

25 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I thought you would have picked up on my sarcastic response to your post Hela, sorry.

If you look on the different threads on this subject of choosing the 12th team,  you will notice I am doing Leigh down on any positives that are being suggested in their favour, as a Leigh fan I don't want the club to be the 12th team - albeit I think we could possibly with a couple more decent signings make as good a go as any of the other applicants, but I believe I am rational enough to see the danger that coming straight back down could bring - I would prefer to build through the next Championship season and hopefully win promotion, so saying that I would prefer Toulose be promoted as I see them as our biggest threat for promotion in 2021.

27 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Spot on Johnny.

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leigh are at the bottom of my list of choices to get in.

At least with Bradford there is a story to sell to the wider sporting public (former giants of SL are back etc etc)

With Leigh I'm struggling to think of any positive spin on them being readmitted, sorry Leigh fans.

How about having won more games of professional RL than any other club on the planet in the last 20 years ?

Does that count ?

All the signals coming from Elstone & Co and the media is that the SL chairmen have decided to "Run with the Bulls Yeah alright !" * and if it does not work out for the RFL -  there's always stock car racing at Odsal

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/18895708.readers-react-odsal-looks-set-host-stock-cars-soon/

* anyone remember that from the late 1990's

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived