• Last Reply
Just now, DEANO said:

It won’t be fev. They’re not liked

it won’t be Toulouse. COVID 

it won’t be Bradford surely not

it could be York hope not

which leaves Leigh 

hope it’s fev!!

No matter who it is, everything will be fine.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This isn't licensing, I'm not sure how a club can be given such protection in the current structure. They are doing this this way simply because TWP walked out of SL and Championship teams haven't had a season to work out a promoted team. I'm not sure 3 year protection is required or sensible. 

I think that is a fair enough option for clear targeted expansion teams like Catalans for example.

Im not sure how expecting a team with little preparation time and less funding to compete is sensible either though.

I personally would have given either Toulouse or London the nod and given them the time and exemption to help them thrive.

Its easy for me to say as I support a club that would be automatically involved but I’m not sure P&R is helping our sport, I understand its the British sporting way and as i say its easy for me to say.

ultimately If like to see a 14 team SL and zi think the only way yo make that work is without P&R

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Im not sure how expecting a team with little preparation time and less funding to compete is sensible either though.

I personally would have given either Toulouse or London the nod and given them the time and exemption to help them thrive.

Its easy for me to say as I support a club that would be automatically involved but I’m not sure P&R is helping our sport, I understand its the British sporting way and as i say its easy for me to say.

ultimately If like to see a 14 team SL and zi think the only way yo make that work is without P&R

That's all a slightly different discussion though. 

Back to the OP:

My heart would love it to be Toulouse both for the hope that they carry for the future of French RL and for the game in the Northern Hemisphere. The independent committee will, however, be concerned about how long the Covid shadow will hang over the game and about the prospect (only that) of a French TV deal.

The easiest decision would be Leigh. They don't really offer any expansion but would draw solid attendances, have a very good ground and a supportive owner.

York are really throwing their cap into the ring to demonstrate their ambition and won't really be surprised or disappointed to be turned down.

Fev have applied because, really, they have to; otherwise they could be accused of lacking ambition. They really don't have anything going for them other than being consistently one of the top Championship clubs for some time and having a good tidy ground. I don't think they could really engender any substantial growth.

A couple of months ago Bradford shouldn't have even been in consideration but, for whatever reason, appear to have gained favour. If they are chosen I believe there will be quite a lot of protest within the game especially amongst fans, possibly even a boycott of their ground by visiting fans, simply to show SL that they were wrong.

No other club will get serious consideration.

It will come down to pragmatism and feeling the way that the wind blows so I would expect the logical choice will be Leigh.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leigh are at the bottom of my list of choices to get in.

At least with Bradford there is a story to sell to the wider sporting public (former giants of SL are back etc etc)

With Leigh I'm struggling to think of any positive spin on them being readmitted, sorry Leigh fans.

In which case why not Widnes, a former giant of rugby league, world champions etc.... 

34 minutes ago, binosh said:

London look to have the worst team they have had in many a year and look to be easing off and promoting youth. They are very quiet about their application which doesn’t bode well for me.

Bradford aren’t even a top 4 side in the Champ and can’t get a safety certificate for the ground and have the worst ranked application for me.

Fev are good all rounders and run a tight ship, own their own ground and do it all well but demographics mean they have no chance.

Leigh offer the most competitive team to SL, a ground that Sky TV love and have a generally strong application across the board however are seen as an unfashionable choice.

York are the biggest “potential” of the bunch but I think they need a couple more years of top 4 champ rugby following the Toulouse blueprint. I think they have a real shot of getting up and staying up if they keep going as they are.

Toulouse are the strongest applicant from an expansion perspective, do it right, have earned the right and are probably overall the the strongest application aswell, problem for them is IMO COVID will be used as an excuse for them not getting in when really it will be about protecting the English game and keeping as much money/away fans in the heartlands as possible for the short term.

I actually think it’s a real tough job to pick from all them and try and please everyone. 

Great post but way too incisive for the SL leadership.

2 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Apologies to Broncos fans but their application has been so low key I actually forgot they had applied!

Unless it’s a done deal !  They have been off loading a lot of players recently maybe to replace with better quality 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Should be Toulouse.

City of around 480,000 people and pretty wealthy too. The HQ and main manufacturing plant of the aircraft is in the city. The club are in a new (ish) stadium and share with the Union club. Very good facilities.

They will attract a larger attendance than all the other applicants plus they'll probably be able draw on greater sponsorship be it local, regional and maybe national companies.

Toulouse are a far better prospect for SL than any other of the applicants.

I keep seeing arguments for and against each club and I sit here as a Fax fan, one of the teams ruled out, and look at Bradford discussed and think we beat them hands down apart from the crowds. That is the only reason that Bradford are even been talked about, well that and the RFL owning the lease to a ground in Bradford. It is set up to be a complete stitch up and I only hope for the good of the game that does not happen.

I will also add that given the calibre of player that Bradford are signing they would not stand a chance in SL although it would be nice for them to take our record.

The only other team I don't think deserves the shot is York. They look to be heading in the right direction but a better case can be made for each of the other applicants. I would not be fussed if any of the others got in because in one shape or another they probably all deserve their shot. From a personal point of view I would like it to be Fev or Leigh because again as a Fax fan I think we will compete with the others on the pitch the coming season but those two would start as good favs for promotion in my opinion.

Have they announced whether there even is promotion and relegation next year yet? Can’t say I’ve seen much beyond the twenty-seven rounds that are planned and if I was a chairman of a club allowed to apply, I think I’d want to know what was on the table before I applied because as it’s been pointed out, there’s an argument that it’s best not to apply and hope you win the Championship organically in 2021, though that is easier said than done. 

17 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Have they announced whether there even is promotion and relegation next year yet? Can’t say I’ve seen much beyond the twenty-seven rounds that are planned and if I was a chairman of a club allowed to apply, I think I’d want to know what was on the table before I applied because as it’s been pointed out, there’s an argument that it’s best not to apply and hope you win the Championship organically in 2021, though that is easier said than done. 

This is my worry too. It's not about 2021, it's what happens in 2022 and beyond.

If the 12th club is seen as a place holder to fulfil current sky requirements and are fully expected to be immediately relegated, which club would want that? Maybe Bradford would enjoy the limelight and being associated with SL again?

My choice would be Toulouse.

If they bottle it with worries over covid, then 2nd choice would be London - although I'm not sure how strong a position they're in after 2020.

Could they give the promoted club a second bite of the cherry to retain their place by including them in some kind of play-off with the top championship team(s)?

In a fantasy world I'd promote Toulouse for next year then sky have an epiphany and agree to extra funding to allow 14 teams from 2022. This will allow no relegation and adding 2 championship clubs (London & York).

After which a return to 1 up 1 down for 2023 where Newcastle replace Castleford 😉

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Should be Toulouse.

City of around 480,000 people and pretty wealthy too. The HQ and main manufacturing plant of the aircraft is in the city. The club are in a new (ish) stadium and share with the Union club. Very good facilities.

They will attract a larger attendance than all the other applicants plus they'll probably be able draw on greater sponsorship be it local, regional and maybe national companies.

Toulouse are a far better prospect for SL than any other of the applicants.

I agree with most of this but what makes you think Toulouse (who so far have struggled to attract 2,000 fans) will suddenly quadruple that? 

6 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

This is my worry too. It's not about 2021, it's what happens in 2022 and beyond.

If the 12th club is seen as a place holder to fulfil current sky requirements and are fully expected to be immediately relegated, which club would want that? Maybe Bradford would enjoy the limelight and being associated with SL again?

My choice would be Toulouse.

If they bottle it with worries over covid, then 2nd choice would be London - although I'm not sure how strong a position they're in after 2020.

Could they give the promoted club a second bite of the cherry to retain their place by including them in some kind of play-off with the top championship team(s)?

In a fantasy world I'd promote Toulouse for next year then sky have an epiphany and agree to extra funding to allow 14 teams from 2022. This will allow no relegation and adding 2 championship clubs (London & York).

After which a return to 1 up 1 down for 2023 where Newcastle replace Castleford 😉

14 team SL with two up two down, anything less is stagnation and less incentive for either teams  in the championship to get better or teams in the lower reaches of SL to get better. Some teams are clearly happy finishing 10th or 11th and taking the money, nobody wants to see that. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I agree with most of this but what makes you think Toulouse (who so far have struggled to attract 2,000 fans) will suddenly quadruple that? 

Because they played one match at the Union stadium and got 10,000 in apparently 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Because they played one match at the Union stadium and got 10,000 in apparently 

Is there a reason you're discussing Toulouse, this is a Bradford thread, you know.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived