Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

York to Leeds quoted as 40 miles , when in fact it is barely half that amount , quality article I think not !.

Being kind, he may have meant 40 minutes but as it's not a great article I'm not feeling particularly kind.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, GaryHall said:

The P&R Car Park has 800 spaces £5 per day charge, There is coach park is at the opposite end to the car parks, there are bars inside the stadium and a fans zone. Within about a mile radius of the stadium there is  Huntington Sports Club, Huntington WMC, Pear Tree Farm, Hogshead, Blacksmiths Arms, Hopgrove Toby Carvery, Nags Head Heworth, Heworth Inn and Walnut Tree.

Good, I likes a pint on day's out.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

That'll wind some people up, and whilst its not perfectly accurate or as knowledgeable as some on these boards even, the concluding marks are not far off what is likely to emerge imo. 

Toulouse are clearly the strongest applicants by most metrics, but suffer from the "international problems" let's call them. Bradford have huge potential but would be hamstrung by finances. Leigh are very solid as an option, but don't offer much "different" and are in a congested market stunting any potential growth. Fev are a smaller version of Leigh in literally all aspects. York are an unknown on field quantity in terms of resources available but certainly have a lot of off field potential in line with Bradford. London's benefits aren't insignificant and as the article states, "for Super League are 1500 London fans more important than 3000 Fev fans?" The answer is probably. 

One thing this article doesn't cover is how this 12th place team will, if at all, impact on TV and Private Equity negotiations and how those stakeholders will impact on the decision of who to bring up. Which clubs compliment or even augment Elstone's proposition to those on the other side of the negotiating table by their presence is a major question.

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

All this talk of Nigel Wood what has he done for the game of Rugby League? £500,000 pay off absolutely ridiculous.

Has he agreed to present evidence of his personal wealth before being accepted by the Board?

I'd heard he wanted confirmation of the Bulls acceptance before he agreed to open the book.

The best outcome for me would be for whoever gets the nod to manage to stay up.That would upset a few in SL.I think Leigh would be the best bet for this to happen.I think Degsy ,if he gets the nod,will go all out to make a go of it and spend much more than the £1m allocated.I,m not sure the other hopefuls will be able to manage this.

If he is willing to spend a shedload of cash,then I wish him all the best.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

400 cars with full occupancy of 4 people that's not very many, considering the big attendances York are going to attract.

The reality is people will go and make up their own minds if it proves to awkward, they will not return. 

PS where is the coach park, are there enough pubs close by to accomodate say 8 coaches about 450 all decending in the vicinity at about the same time?

Re pubs. There is 1 pub, the Pear Tree, a very short walk to the stadium.  I've never been in but it doesn't look like a rugby league pub. The other pubs close by would most likely require the coach stopping there, waiting and then taking fans from there to the game. Some of the ones listed in the other answer are quite far (Walnut Tree is a couple of miles) and/or not suitable for a coach party (Blacksmiths Arms).  

The ground is part of a retail park built on green belt at the edge of tbe city towards the ring road.  The nearest 'village' is Huntington, which has never been well served by pubs.  Most residents would probably go into York for a night out. 

Personally I will be having my pre/post match beer in York but I will be travelling to games by train so that's more convenient. 

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So to cut to the chase...

Featherstone has no post office on POR but has a station

York has got a station but limited parking

Leigh has got no station but has lots of parking and decking

Bradford have no decking but large amounts of Wood

Very good. 

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Bradford have no decking but lots of useless Wood

I could worry about you

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Bradford have no decking but lots of useless Wood

Toulouse has plenty of parking and an airport and station good bus services plenty of taxis and an excellent metro system:)

Archived