Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's have a go at this after a few years away.

If Bradford are admitted to Super League it will be the worst thing to happen in 2020!

Bradford and Leigh have both had a few goes recently and ballsed it up completely each time.

London and Featherstone are a bit meh, small time, unexciting candidates.

Toulouse or York for me, something different and new for SL, like that 6 again hooter thing.

1 hour ago, gavin7094 said:

Re pubs. There is 1 pub, the Pear Tree, a very short walk to the stadium.  I've never been in but it doesn't look like a rugby league pub. The other pubs close by would most likely require the coach stopping there, waiting and then taking fans from there to the game. Some of the ones listed in the other answer are quite far (Walnut Tree is a couple of miles) and/or not suitable for a coach party (Blacksmiths Arms).  

The ground is part of a retail park built on green belt at the edge of tbe city towards the ring road.  The nearest 'village' is Huntington, which has never been well served by pubs.  Most residents would probably go into York for a night out. 

Personally I will be having my pre/post match beer in York but I will be travelling to games by train so that's more convenient. 

Pear tree farm is a family food pub. Can’t imagine they’ll want football/rugby fans

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

10 hours ago, nadera78 said:

It's well written, and outlines what a lot of us already know about the position the club is in, but the important bit is the subtext. It reads to me as if they don't expect to be chosen, but are applying anyway to show willing, which is fine because I think the 12th club is being set up to fail.

As it stands, if the Broncos were selected, they'd be in a terrible position come the start of SL. The current squad is a decent Championship one, but no more than that, and contains an awful lot of kids yet to play senior RL (9 players - Boafo, Leyland, Horsman, Verella, Hodson, Blakemore, Oakley, Jones and Williams - have a combined total of 6 appearances for the Broncos) or with minimal experience (Davis, Ogden, Hindmarsh, Meadows have around 50 games between them). If, as Jason Loubser suggests, the plan is to sign new players in January then I think we really have to question who will be available at that time of year and what kind of team they could put together.

I can't honestly say I want to see the club get that 12th spot right now. Everything about it flashes big, red warning lights at me.

Alternatively Leigh have signed a mass of deadbeat average championship players who will get taken apart week in weekout in SL. Dels recruitment strategy is clearly based on promotion next year from the championship, hence why he’s talking up Fev, TO etc bids. 

53 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Pear tree farm is a family food pub. Can’t imagine they’ll want football/rugby fans

They’ll want all the custom they can get after this year. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

6 hours ago, Wire quin said:

Alternatively Leigh have signed a mass of deadbeat average championship players who will get taken apart week in weekout in SL. Dels recruitment strategy is clearly based on promotion next year from the championship, hence why he’s talking up Fev, TO etc bids. 

That might very well be what awaits Leigh in SL, but it's not really an alternative to what I said. An alternative would be that London have a number of strong signings up their sleeve and a strong business and administrative plan for SL 2021.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

10 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Toulouse has plenty of parking and an airport and station good bus services plenty of taxis and an excellent metro system:)

And far better cheese shops & Tarte Julie! (its a shop & not to be confused with Tu'penny Ethel on Trafford Road).

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sir Rodney Walker has just declared his support for Wakefield, and has the cheek to say that Fev have the best facilities of the 3 in Wakefield.

What has Wakefield got to do with this thread?

Secondly, having visited all 3 grounds in Wakefield in the last 3 years, then yes Fev does have the best facillities in my opinion, unless that is both Wakefield and Cas have spent and improved since '17.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What has Wakefield got to do with this thread?

Secondly, having visited all 3 grounds in Wakefield in the last 3 years, then yes Fev does have the best facillities in my opinion, unless that is both Wakefield and Cas have spent and improved since '17.

Its a direct quote from Sir Rodney, saying why Fev should be in Super League. This is precisely the general "who will get promoted" thread.

Its ironic because he was responsible for upgrading one of the others.

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sir Rodney Walker has just declared his support for Wakefield, and has the cheek to say that Fev have the best facilities of the 3 in Wakefield.

Not much to choose between them , all could do with updating , but in the new economic era we are entering I doubt this will happen in the near future

Just now, georgeb1 said:

Not much to choose between them , all could do with updating , but in the new economic era we are entering I doubt this will happen in the near future

Wakefield are getting an upgrade tbf (though how many times have we heard that before!)

Toulouse already have the votes of Catalans, Wigan and St Helens in the bag. Ian Lenagan is a big supporter of expanding the game in France and he is the smartest chairman in Super League. Elstone probably also supports Toulouse. 

If the France sympathetic Hetherington at Leeds and the chairman of Warrington can be persuaded to come on the bandwagon then Toulouse only needs one more vote. I would think that Ken Davy would be sympathetic.

6 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Or play it safe and compromise by choosing  Leigh 😉

it will be groundhog day again if leigh get in no wins all season well possibly one (wigan) relegation and administration seen it all before.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

21 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Toulouse already have the votes of Catalans, Wigan and St Helens in the bag. Ian Lenagan is a big supporter of expanding the game in France and he is the smartest chairman in Super League. Elstone probably also supports Toulouse. 

If the France sympathetic Hetherington at Leeds and the chairman of Warrington can be persuaded to come on the bandwagon then Toulouse only needs one more vote. I would think that Ken Davy would be sympathetic.

please remind me  where does it actually say  clubs have a vote

2 hours ago, POR said:

please remind me  where does it actually say  clubs have a vote

If they did, why go to the trouble of having an independent panel, not that it bothers me if Toulouse do get into SL then I don't care by what means they have acheived it, but whoever it is I do hope it does come with an explanation of why that club has been selected and why those who will remain in the Championship have been rejected.

All the clubs who have gone to the trouble and put in an application deserve to be told how and why their judgment was arrived at, so it may has well be made public knowledge for us all to know.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

If they did, why go to the trouble of having an independent panel, not that it bothers me if Toulouse do get into SL then I don't care by what means they have acheived it, but whoever it is I do hope it does come with an explanation of why that club has been selected and why those who will remain in the Championship have been rejected.

All the clubs who have gone to the trouble and put in an application deserve to be told how and why their judgment was arrived at, so it may has well be made public knowledge for us all to know.

You have read the most recent report Super League produced didn't you Harry? Given the quality in that report, I expect you will be thoroughly disappointed by the report published as a result of this process.

Archived