Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You’d fancy London’s chances now, wouldn’t you? The move to Wimbledon would seem a little unusual without this promotion available and given that they seemed to finance the addition of a stand at Ealing for 2019. I wonder if this, London getting the position, is a piece in a bigger jigsaw relating to either a partnership with NRL and/or private equity investment in the game. 

History suggests that this is ground well trodden though. London seem to move every few years and we should probably expect another move in a few years, especially given the break clause. There’s little, at this stage, to suggest much will change. There could be a new investor, perhaps, hopefully there is because the foundations, the Academy, at London are pretty impressive. 

If only the broncos had the academy setup of today back in the late 90’s during the Richard Brandon stoop era.

8 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Superleague was set up to improve facilities for players and spectators and to drive up standards so we could beat the Aussies and it has failed on all counts. 

Competitive sport should be about success clubs striving to win not just making money and keeping their place in the cash cow!

You genuinely think facilities haven't improved during the SL era? You are wrong. 

You think SL is all about making money? Wrong again. 

It’s interesting that even a day before the announcement I don’t see a clear front runner. All six applicants have their merits, in fact all have a strong case except Bradford, and I really can’t put a pin between them in terms of who SL (sorry the independent panel) will choose. It shows that there is strength below SL, which is great. 

11 hours ago, winnyason said:

My reason is simply if superleague wants credibility then expanding to Toulouse gives this if not and it expands to a heartland club then its  a insular game for northern englanders only not interested in expanding the sport being held down by a small clubs who have zero ambition and only looking at survival. 

Well why didn't you say that in the first place instead of some pipedream that 2 clubs in France is suddenly going to entice SL quality French youngsters into the fold. 

It goes much deeper than the clubs playing in the British League, the system in France that produces player's requires a good dose of looking at if it is to produce player's of the required standard in numbers, there is a good reason why Catalan have gone overseas for the majority of their playing roster whilst in SL, Toulouse have no option but to do the same if they are to be competitive.

I hope these French lads that Catalan are signing make the grade, but will they be played if the results are going against Catalan? I will leave you to answer that Winny.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

After the news about London wanting to move to AFC Wimbledon for the 2021 season, I’d say the odds on the Broncos have shortened quite a bit.

There's a massive difference in 'wanting' to and having it 'rubber stamped - approved' it means absolutely zilch in any submission.

So unless the Broncos can come up with something concrete before 'high noon' tomorrow then the odds to receive the nod are as long as they have ever been.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There's a massive difference in 'wanting' to and having it 'rubber stamped - approved' it means absolutely zilch in any submission.

So unless the Broncos can come up with something concrete before 'high noon' tomorrow then the odds to receive the nod are as long as they have ever been.

I agree. If the decision is Monday then I don't possibly see how any unconfirmed move can have a bearing.

It seems like a survey has been or is being undertaken by AFCW fans, who are also the owners. I’m guessing it would then go to a board meeting to discuss the results before possibly giving the green light to London Broncos. 

Given that the news seemed to all come out very quickly last night, it would be almost unheard of to get the surveys back, collate the results and then hold a board meeting to discuss it before Monday at midday. 

That said, if Bradford’s bid centres around the moving of stadia, I see no reason why London’s can’t be either. It doesn’t particularly make either look particularly strong, IMO. 

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed, or perhaps they know what's coming for 2022 and are prepping for "selection" 

You quite like the conspiracy of 'insider' information being given to certain clubs firstly Bradford now London, perhaps the 'leaks' could have been done for reverse reasons that both these clubs have facilities that are an embarrassment to the hierarchy, telling them they should improve and........... just a red herring!

What about the clubs that have already done all the prep work, does that not count? 

15 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

we really need to be getting away from owner reliant clubs given the situation we are in.

Big statement Tex, especially so in the week that one of our biggest clubs being Wigan has published it's financial return and disclosed it is again in the red, with the shortfall being made up by the owner.

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You quite like the conspiracy of 'insider' information being given to certain clubs firstly Bradford now London, perhaps the 'leaks' could have been done for reverse reasons that both these clubs have facilities that are an embarrassment to the hierarchy, telling them they should improve and........... just a red herring!

What about the clubs that have already done all the prep work, does that not count? 

Depends if you're wanted or not in line with SLE's vision.

I say this Harry because do you honestly believe this is will be a fair and open process?

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

In that they have invested more?

Interesting what do you think has enticed them to do that, that being the reason? 

Love of the game and their club in the main, obv different depending on the individual. 

7 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

What have I missed? How does London moving grounds yet again make them favourites? Lets face it, this is a club that if they had not spent a season in SL would not have even met the original criteria to make it to this stage.

Maybe not favourites, but perhaps that things have been suggested from on high.

Seems to have gone quiet at toulouse. 

As I've already said the team that gets the 12 th place will almost definitely be relegated. So maybe it's better winning promotion next year when one stronger team is already out of the running and getting promoted with a full sky payment. 

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

What have I missed? How does London moving grounds yet again make them favourites? Lets face it, this is a club that if they had not spent a season in SL would not have even met the original criteria to make it to this stage.

Didn’t they finish 2nd in 2018?

But anyway, London are seemingly on the move. Again. This time to Wimbledon and the new football stadium there. Why? Dunno. Most people think Ealing Trailfinders is pretty rubbish and I suppose people are speculating that London have been told that Ealing isn’t fit for Super League from 2022. It was deemed good enough for 2019, so it would seem odd for them to be in the running for Super League in 2021 if the ground wasn’t deemed suitable by Super League. 

FWIW, it feels like Groundhog Day. Again. It’s what Rugby League is best at it seems. London have moved countless times and never got close to replicating the “success” of between 1996-‘99. They’ll probably move again in a few years and the next place, probably even an old place they’ve been at before, will be the best thing to happen to them and suddenly the London population will wake up to their very existence. Except they probably won’t.

I also question the move at this time. Their squad looks to have been decimated this year and they probably need in excess of ten players to have a squad for next year. If they were to get promoted, moving grounds and getting a pasting most weeks, which looks likely due to the lack of funding, the squad they have now and the players who are available to sign right now, is not going to bring in the crowds, is it? 

7 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Seems to have gone quiet at toulouse. 

As I've already said the team that gets the 12 th place will almost definitely be relegated. So maybe it's better winning promotion next year when one stronger team is already out of the running and getting promoted with a full sky payment. 

I’d rather be in Super League than not, that’s how I see it. 

The Championship is pretty tough as it is. Granted it’s going to lose one of Toulouse, Leigh, Fev, Bradford, York or London but next year, there will still be five of them there plus Halifax, Widnes and a few others who, on their day, can beat most sides in that league. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Didn’t they finish 2nd in 2018?

But anyway, London are seemingly on the move. Again. This time to Wimbledon and the new football stadium there. Why? Dunno. Most people think Ealing Trailfinders is pretty rubbish and I suppose people are speculating that London have been told that Ealing isn’t fit for Super League from 2022. It was deemed good enough for 2019, so it would seem odd for them to be in the running for Super League in 2021 if the ground wasn’t deemed suitable by Super League. 

FWIW, it feels like Groundhog Day. Again. It’s what Rugby League is best at it seems. London have moved countless times and never got close to replicating the “success” of between 1996-‘99. They’ll probably move again in a few years and the next place, probably even an old place they’ve been at before, will be the best thing to happen to them and suddenly the London population will wake up to their very existence. Except they probably won’t.

I also question the move at this time. Their squad looks to have been decimated this year and they probably need in excess of ten players to have a squad for next year. If they were to get promoted, moving grounds and getting a pasting most weeks, which looks likely due to the lack of funding, the squad they have now and the players who are available to sign right now, is not going to bring in the crowds, is it? 

Yes but they'd have failed on attendance. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would say it significantly enhances their bid as set out in the SL criteria. Trailfinders doesn’t meet the 5k criteria. Wimbledon does.

Archived