Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't even know if the crowds are there at Bradford, or will be in the short term anyhow, with a poor team and at a dilapidated Odsal.

That’s very true. They come out for the Leeds cup game but would there be big (a relative term) crowds for other games at Odsal?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I haven't been following the criteria in the submissions so I would have no idea who is the front runners in this process.

But from a personal perspective and looking at this as an opportunity to expand the relevance and value of Super League (and therefore elite RL in the Northern Hemisphere) I would go for Toulouse or London (pity it can't be both!)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s very true. They come out for the Leeds cup game but would there be big (a relative term) crowds for other games at Odsal?

In fairness they did bring a very good travelling support to the Yorkshire cup final at Batley. And to the league games too.

When it comes to personal choices, I'd like to see Toulouse  in there. 

Bradford have had such a chequered history of false promises, house-of-cards building etc, administrations, machinations etc that I'd be unwilling to trust even the new regime.  So that's a shoo-in for Bradford.😱

As for weighting, that is normal when scoring bids for anything, just so long as its the criteria that are weighted not the applicants.

My personal preference is Toulouse.

I will obviously cheer mightily a London underdog victory but also be slightly concerned by how it happened and what we do next.

No issues at all with it going to Leigh, Fev or York. All good candidates.

Bradford shouldn't be in the running.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• John Drake changed the title to Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

As the same arguments are being fought out in two or three different threads on the same subject, I've merged them all ahead of the actual announcement of which club will get promoted to Super League today.

Keep it all in here.

DO NOT START ANY MORE THREADS ON THIS!!!

My quick summary is:

Fev - Probably have the best case on sporting merit. Losers in the last final and have always been overlooked because they're not fashionable. It all comes down to if you think teams should be promoted on merit or commercial potential / expansion. Perhaps not best placed to make a Super League competative squad for next year though. I'd say you could make a better case for them to be in Super League than Wakefield.

Toulouse - Probably the best case on commercial potential and would be one of the more likely teams to be able to field a competitive squad. Finished 2nd behind Toronto in 2019 so you could argue they've earned it too.

York - Another team with great potential but i'm worried they wouldn't be ready yet and would come straight back down.

Bradford - There's loads of reasons for it not to be them but I can see the attraction of 20,000+ crowds for Bradford v Leeds and a massive boost for the sport in traditional areas. Are they likely to be able to recreate the Bradford Bulls of old though? Probably not in the short term at least but if they do get the nod i'll be hoping they can.

London - Should have the best case on commercial potential but they've tried and failed plenty of times which is why if we go for an expansion team, i'd rather it be York or Toulouse. You could make the case that as the team that gave way to Toronto they should be reprieved. 

Leigh - Probably the only team I can't make a clear case for because they are neither an expansion side, nor deserve it on sporting merit. They are a decent sized club though and while they might not add much glamour to Super League, I don't think they'd massively let the sport down either. There are many ways you could say they deserve Super League more than three or four current teams.

It will be the Bulls and their mythical away following who will be awarded the poisoned chalice. RL will make the self interested bizzare decision as per usual. The rest should really breathe a sigh of relief.

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

best of luck to all. 

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its HUYTON last minute bid and back to Knotty Ash:)

Ken Dodd would be proud if he was still with us:)

Queeg (Red Dwarf) - Wikipedia

"Keep to this thread with those items!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Like a few others, personal preference is Toulouse - I think with a historic all-French SL clash we could see a huge crowd and hopefully some media coverage and we may just see a glimpse of the potential that two French teams could bring. But I think it would be important that they did ok on the field.

I have listed how Bradford could be justified, and they are undoubtedly full of potential to be a big club again, but tbh, the ground is a millstone, they don't even have nice pics that some other clubs have. I don't see how we can ignore the stadium situation. A stadium that the club felt was so bad they had to move out of the City.

London - for all the noise about them being important for their capital presence, they ultimately underwhelm and deliver really low crowds and do little for the perception of the game. Again, they have a lot of potential, but I was disappointed with their last effort in SL that was possibly one of the most low-key visits to SL in their history, The Wimbledon move gives some hope though of a higher level of ambition, so maybe that has changed.

Leigh would be a solid enough team. I'd have no issues with them being in, but as a neutral I can't get too excited about another team in that highly congested North-West region. But I think they'd do a decent enough job and give it  a good go, they develop players and return some solid crowds, so I wouldn't complain if they got the nod.

Fev - I struggle with their bid as they are a really small town club in an area already full of SL clubs. Modest crowds, and good luck to them if they make it through P&R, but I'm not sure they are a club that SL should hand-pick. But I find many of their fans on here a good sort so would be happy for them if they got in.

York - probably similar to Fev in that I feel they are a little too small to hand-pick, but they do have a great new ground and have done some nice stuff in recent years. Good luck to them, but I think they should continue to build and hopefully grow in their new ground and earn a place in future.

TBH, all of the above is just based on my gut and high level perception of the clubs, I'm not sure if any of the criteria that the RFL/SLE are asking for would change my opinion. I think the only important one is the ownership/financial status.

If I had to guess I'd guess Toulouse. Making a deliberate, conscious choice to go from Toronto to say Fev doesn't paint the game in a brilliant light.

I'd also say it's the least risky option for Elstone. Choosing to kill an expansion side in favour of a heartland one then bringing in a lower tv deal would almost certainly, and rightly, see him gone. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Leigh are trending in 24th place on Twitter, ahead of Super League. 

Yeah, cos everyone is talking about Leigh-Anne out of Little Mix.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I think having them in with a chance of doing something is better than out with no chance.

I don't think winning promotion on the field next season is anywhere near a probability for London, York or Bradford or any time in the future either.

Toulouse, Fev and Leigh as they stand at present with their squads with a little tweaking could provide some competition for a few SL teams, if none of these teams are selected and one of the former ones are then that is a massive statement to me that suggests the SL along with the reduced funding have had some influence in the selection process to protect all it's member clubs.

Archived