Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

1 minute ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Go on then, give it a go...

Fev actually have a suitable ground for a start. If they were in the same division you'd probably find Fev and Wakey's crowds wouldn't be too dissimilar. Fev have been one of the most successful clubs outside Super League and been denied promotion due to licensing whereas Wakey have been around most of the Super League era and failed to achieve anything except just about hanging onto their Super League status.

I was born in Wakefield and they're my favourite Super League club. I'd love to see them in a new ground pulling in big crowds and I'm not saying Fev should be the team to go up this year. I just don't think Super League would be that radically different if the two clubs were swapped except for a massive improvement in the standard of the grounds.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fevtom said:

if we go for an expansion team, i'd rather it be York or Toulouse.

How on Earth do you descrive these as expandion teams. 

York decided to stay in Union in 1895 changed their mind and played fixtures from 1898 joining the Norther Union officially in 1901.

Toulouse joined the FFR in 1937 and have won the French competition 6 times.

Neither have anything remotely connected to being expansion teams.

2 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Fev actually have a suitable ground for a start. If they were in the same division you'd probably find Fev and Wakey's crowds wouldn't be too dissimilar. Fev have been one of the most successful clubs outside Super League and been denied promotion due to licensing whereas Wakey have been around most of the Super League era and failed to achieve anything except just about hanging onto their Super League status.

I was born in Wakefield and they're my favourite Super League club. I'd love to see them in a new ground pulling in big crowds and I'm not saying Fev should be the team to go up this year. I just don't think Super League would be that radically different if the two clubs were swapped except for a massive improvement in the standard of the grounds.

so, Fev have a slightly better ground (at the moment), other than that? or is that the only criterion?

Wakefield have the huge advantage of incumbency, so it's difficult for any club from outside to compete with one already in the clique.

Other measures will be academy, community work, etc, non-SL clubs don't have much chance of competing.

If it does come to franchising and Wakefield haven't made headway on the stadium, I'd expect them to be finally put out of their misery, but it won't be Fev who replace them.

Just now, Wholly Trinity said:

so, Fev have a slightly better ground (at the moment), other than that? or is that the only criterion?

Wakefield have the huge advantage of incumbency, so it's difficult for any club from outside to compete with one already in the clique.

Other measures will be academy, community work, etc, non-SL clubs don't have much chance of competing.

If it does come to franchising and Wakefield haven't made headway on the stadium, I'd expect them to be finally put out of their misery, but it won't be Fev who replace them.

I completely agree, neither team would currently make the 12 on licensing if there's no incumbancy advantage. I hope Wakey get their new stand built before then.

Archived