Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I would be livid as a Fev, London or Toulouse fan 

I’m a Fev fan and while it’s disappointing, Leigh have the best chance of giving it a crack this year and have a good all round offering. I think it could have been a death sentence for Fev and now we have a chance to have a proper go at promotion in 2021 with Leigh out of the way.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The obvious choice when set against the narrow criteria of which club will most likely be able to piece together a half competitive team in 2021. Leigh will be able to generate the revenues, along with owner support, that will give them half a chance, although whether it will be a enough I don't know. 

This decision is only about getting a 12th team on the field in 2021 that isn't a competitive basketcase. There's no point speculating about what it means for Leigh, Superleague or the sport as a whole beyond that. It is what it is. 

Its a bit more than that though isnt it. Its not just about the decision made today but the decisions made to get to this point in addition to the decision made today. 

Whether you agree with them or not, rightly or wrongly, this is now a league created in the image of Elstones outlook. It demands results and in short order. 

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I wouldn’t go around Leigh telling the people that they’re Wiganers...not if I were you! 😉

But it is. Leigh is a small town in Wigan.

If they didn't want to be called Wigan, why on earth do they dress like Wigan?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Of all the viable clubs available, Leigh are probably the best, but its inevitably a marginal one.

But frankly, all of this is probably irrelevant.  In 2022 there are almost certainly going to be changes in the Super League.

The best thing Leigh can do is bank the 1 million and wait.

(as I write this I see that 33+ new replies.  I can't cope!  Sorry to add mine to the torrent.)

The criteria was so limited and structured to favour an English team, with a rich benefactor, and based in Yorkshire/Lancashire.

The game just doesn't change. I despair, again.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Can we dust down that Bradford Bulls thread where everyone told us they were nailed on and it was a fix?

As predicted on that, people spout off, then don't mention it again when it doesn't materialise.

I actually think Leigh were probably chosen on criteria that Bradford scored well on.

Of course Leigh probably offered a level of stability that Bradford haven’t reached yet.

I’m happy for the Bradford fans who didn’t want to be chosen.

Not read the thread so apologies for any repetition.

Understand the disappointment in the decision. But any anger at Leigh is misplaced.

If you want to criticise their presence in Super League, then you must also question Huddersfield's, Salford's, Wakefield's, Castleford's and Hull KR's (i.e. almost half of the current cohort).

I haven't seen the applications so can't say whether the decision was right. But teams should not be discounted on the basis that they are in the heartlands. Especially when other heartland clubs 'offer' little or no more than them but happen to be in a Super League chair when the music stops.

I would love to see London or Toulouse in. But the door isn't closed. A year to build, maybe for London to sort a good stadium arrangement, and to enter on full funding and a full pre season in 2022 may be better in the long run.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Can we dust down that Bradford Bulls thread where everyone told us they were nailed on and it was a fix?

As predicted on that, people spout off, then don't mention it again when it doesn't materialise.

Whose this everyone? I think most acknowledged it wasn't possible, which has proven to be the case.

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

This decision is only about getting a 12th team on the field in 2021 that isn't a competitive basketcase. There's no point speculating about what it means for Leigh, Superleague or the sport as a whole beyond that. It is what it is. 

Yes, I think we have to accept it in this context.

Leigh don't bring much to the top flight apart from another half empty flat pack stadium - and their natural place in the sport tends to be around the top end of the second tier and the bottom of the top one. However if we simply don't want to have the 2021 Super League to have one team being easily beaten every single week then this is the right call and I can accept it on that basis.

What needs to be urgently managed is the message being sent to expansion areas and potential investors and sponsors for whom this decision at face value is deeply regressive.

Hopefully London, York and Toulouse can pull themselves together and win promotion on the field next year - which is how it should be in sport.

5 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Why, I would have only been livid if it had gone to the bulls.

"Competitive team" stated as the primary reason, despite Fev making the championship final last year, London being most recently relegated and Toulouse leading the championship at the time of shut down

Just now, Damien said:

Whose this everyone? I think most acknowledged it wasn't possible, which has proven to be the case.

Accepted, everyone was the wrong word.

But that thread was a perfect example of RL fans creating a fictitious situation to bash the authorities and be outraged, that doesn't actually happen. 

Unfortunately, I think that thread has probably been merged into this one now.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But it is. Leigh is a small town in Wigan.

If they didn't want to be called Wigan, why on earth do they dress like Wigan?

Get that right

’ Wigan dress like Leigh’

we borrowed them our cherry and white kit. The rest is history ! 👍

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

"Competitive team" stated as the primary reason, despite Fev making the championship final last year, London being most recently relegated and Toulouse leading the championship at the time of shut down

Yes, its awfully reminiscent of the Toronto decision where sweeping statements will be made that stand up to absolutely no scrutiny.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

They don’t identify as Wiganers though which is the critical thing.

Look, they are in Wigan and wear Wigan clothes. They look like a duck and quack like a duck.

I'm not interested in which specific sub species of duck. They're Wigan.

Now, if there's a problem with that then maybe you're starting to see why rugby league as a sport has an image problem in convincing people that's a national, let alone international, sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived