Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, M j M said:

What needs to be urgently managed is the message being sent to expansion areas and potential investors and sponsors for whom this decision at face value is deeply regressive.

Absolutely, but will it come? And if it does it almost inevitably will have to be a caveat to today's decision.

1 minute ago, Snowys Backside said:

Get that right

’ Wigan dress like Leigh’

we borrowed them our cherry and white kit. The rest is history ! 👍

That's not going to work for banter on this thread though.

But point taken.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Tommygilf said:

"Competitive team" stated as the primary reason, despite Fev making the championship final last year, London being most recently relegated and Toulouse leading the championship at the time of shut down

I’m sure there would have been complaints that the decision made wasn’t representative of the current time had Fev or London been promoted with the primary reason being their final league position in 2019. 

The competitive team argument would have been very close between Leigh and Toulouse, you’d like to think. Bradford and York’s squads are okay, certainly not top three in the Championship, London’s has been decimated by departures, Fev’s is pretty strong but Toulouse and Leigh look to be out in front in that regard. 

5 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

If it's not going to be Toulouse, then this is probably the correct decision. Seems like an opportunity missed though.

If it wasn't for COVID uncertainty and travel issues, I think Toulouse might have pipped Leigh on the measures of financial and playing strength. 

But then if we hadn't had COVID, I don't think there would have been a vacancy in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

"Competitive team" stated as the primary reason, despite Fev making the championship final last year, London being most recently relegated and Toulouse leading the championship at the time of shut down

Am I the only person who sees a squad full of players whove never made there mark on superleague? To me theyre clearly weaker than Toronto were this season and think the competitive team argument is weak

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Of course it is. It's Wigan.

Honestly.

It's in the metropolitan borough of Wigan but is a completely different town. 

Saying it is Wigan is the same as saying all the towns of the borough of East Sussex are Eastbourne. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Look, they are in Wigan and wear Wigan clothes. They look like a duck and quack like a duck.

I'm not interested in which specific sub species of duck. They're Wigan.

Now, if there's a problem with that then maybe you're starting to see why rugby league as a sport has an image problem in convincing people that's a national, let alone international, sport.

Now if only there was a way for Leigh to play Wigan at sport so we can see the strength of feeling on this issue...oh hang on😉

Congratulations to Leigh, their chairman and supporters. I refuse to join in the Leigh bashing on this thread.- Good luck to you next season.

I confess I am surprised the Bulls were not promoted as the smoke signals coming out seemed to suggest that, but then it's not the first time I have got a Rugby League prediction wrong.😳

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

If it's not going to be Toulouse, then this is probably the correct decision. Seems like an opportunity missed though.

Whilst choosing Toulouse was my preference, I have some sympathy for the game choosing a safer option to play at a time when the season is likely to still be affected by Covid. 2021 could still pose a lot of travel problems, maybe for much of the season, who knows?

This is a patch job, I don't really know why they had to try and portray it as something grander than it was, as it was always going to be underwhelming once they did that and it wasn't Toulouse.

But hopefully Toulouse have the opportunity to win promotion on the field next year.

10 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I’m a Fev fan and while it’s disappointing, Leigh have the best chance of giving it a crack this year and have a good all round offering. I think it could have been a death sentence for Fev and now we have a chance to have a proper go at promotion in 2021 with Leigh out of the way.

Eggsbloodyzactly. Im far from disheartened. I did not relish the prospect of fev getting a hiding every week given the short time to prep and only half the cash others have for the season.

Leigh now out of the way. I cant wait for the championship next season now

I imagine the Leigh fans are furious about this; they hate franchising.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't put sugar in your tea today Scotchy, it will taste very very bitter!

I thought you championed all Rugby League clubs? 

Im not sure which RL club you think that is a dig at Harry?

As i said prior to the decision i dont think it will make the slightest bit of difference which club they picked. But you have what you wanted to now. You can celebrate Toronto's death like you wanted and they have been replaced with Leigh in a P+R league. All those things you argued for are now in place. There is a tv deal to be signed next year. Lets see the results and see if you were right. 

Must be bad news for you though Harry? Surely you arent going to attend next year out of principle 😉

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Look, they are in Wigan and wear Wigan clothes. They look like a duck and quack like a duck.

I'm not interested in which specific sub species of duck. They're Wigan.

Now, if there's a problem with that then maybe you're starting to see why rugby league as a sport has an image problem in convincing people that's a national, let alone international, sport.

Dont be stupid.  There are 2 teams in Hull.  There are three teams in Wakefield.  You cannot click your fingers to magic up teams from thin air.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

London's squad has been gutted, Fev will lose thier DR players, so you have to judge it on the likely team that can be afford to be put on the field in 2021, not what happenned previously. 

I do think Toulouse will be rightly disappointed as they probably could match Leigh for money and players, but I fear being an overseas team counts against them in the current extraordinary circumstances. 

RIP 

I can announce the passing of Rugby League as a competitive sport, after careful consideration it was decided to promote the club who went out in the first round the last playoffs. 
This gives a clear indication that winning and success is no longer valued. At least it will stand us in good stead when we get thrashed in the World Cup next year.

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Dont be stupid.  There are 2 teams in Hull.  There are three teams in Wakefield.  You cannot click your fingers to magic up teams from thin air.

Yes. You've just confirmed my point. There's a reason rugby league isn't seen as a truly national sport by some and that's because it's not.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Might it only be for one season if they finish bottom?

I hope after what happened the last time Leigh were relegated I hope that the RFL/Super League had the sense to ask for a bond and guarantees that players won't be treated the same way. 

Archived