Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Did they ever get a 10,000 crowd in Toronto, let alone have an average of that figure?

2019 final was closer to 12000. trust me I was there

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Professional RL has never been successful in Leigh either! 😂 

London have had poor marketing granted, but Super League clubs struggle to sell against other super league clubs because they're towns/places people don't care about being against or beating.

ok mate.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Because at least going against fully professional sides, some in cities not villages, helps with the business planning

Leeds need to start pulling their socks up, in a village of 790,000. 11 or 12 k at Headingley? We only get 9k less playing 2nd tier in a town of 15,000. Shocking.    

The criteria used was a complete farce, really. That’s not any bitterness towards Leigh, they have the stadium, they have a decent playing squad in comparison to the other applicants and they had a decent average in the 2017 season in Super League, but how we could attempt to judge the commercial value of the competition or how they can help us reach the goals set out based on these sides getting a minimum of one year in the competition, as we approach what many see as a defining moment for the game with the next TV deal, just seems unnecessary when we have no clear vision for the 2022 season and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So, it’s an assumption rather than the matter of fact nature you spoke in a couple of pages back. They may have, we’ll not know. They might have peaked at around the 8000 mark we were told they were getting at Lamport. 

This forum is about opinions, and what I said was quite obviously an opinion not a fact. Something happening theoretically in the future can’t be a fact. 

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Leeds need to start pulling their socks up, in a village of 790,000. 11 or 12 k at Headingley? We only get 9k less playing 2nd tier in a town of 15,000. Shocking.    

Its always a fun job when you pop to the bank to deposit your size/attendance ratio. Pouring out all them little ratios on to the counter and seeing them put them through the ratio counting machines. 

Banks love ratios and they are really useful instruments 

30 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

The process has ended up choosing the club that looks the best placed to compete in Super League next year given the short notice and the probably the best placed to cope with any covid-related issues as Derek Beaumont has presumably said he'll foot the bill. They should also boost the attendances of local teams with away followings and benefit from good away followings themselves in what is a difficult time for clubs financially. It's a sensible decision, if that's all that the criteria was.

The problem is they built it up to be more than that. The report into Toronto certainly didn't help things when they questioned the commercial value of a club in Toronto and called it a crowded market. Then they added into the criteria that the new club would have to increase the commercial value of Super League. That sets lofty ambitions that ultimately Leigh don't really fulfil. After all, when it comes to a crowded market they've basically added a team competing for largely the same local fan base as Wigan (and potentially Warrington and Salford too in some areas).

Leigh don't increase the commercial value of Super League. Super League wasn't a commercial juggernaut when Leigh were previously in the competition. They might bring slightly more away fans to games on the western side of the M62 though. Ultimately that's what was more appealing.

This is a short term decision but the process made it come across as something much more than that. So now we've had Toronto kicked out for being not commercially valuable and then made a song and dance about who the new club would be, provided several big city options with Bradford, London, Toulouse and York and then announced that Leigh is the way forward. It comes across to those within the game as being insular, and probably to those from the outside looking in as a bit embarrassing.

Precisely this........summed it up better than I could. There is nothing more to add

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

From the fourth largest city in North America to a satellite town of Wigan.

Small towns, small ambitions, small chance of expansion.

Great chance of remaining small, parochial and northern. 

What kind of stupid do you have to be to not understand Toronto FAILED!!! BUST!! LIQUIDISED!! INSOLVENT!! NO PAY NO PLAY! BROKEN! GONE! S**t boom or bust business plan. Toronto put at risk our TV deal!

Expansion will work in NA as soon as they have a TV deal and a few wealthy people prepared to chuck money in and create their own league. Same in France.'

The game IS small, parochial and northern and yet still has some of the most pioneering community work in all of the UK.

Leigh have been chucked in as a capable all rounder to help save the TV deal not to attract Saudi investment and thye have been chucled in because TORONTO FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Presumably, you know which big brands the other clubs would bring in then? 

Of course, London had years to bring in the big brands and help with the sport's national profile. So plenty of pointers there.

We've been swimming in sponsorship since bringing in a french club, so bring another in.

I mean, you've read all six bids haven't you? Otherwise you're just talking pompous tosh, and that can't be true...

So the answer is NO.

38 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

How many years has Rugby League been played in Salford and what are there crowds like?

That's irrelevant. One of the big arguments used for London is around potential and new audiences, expanding the footprint of the sport etc. My question is, how long do you give London Broncos before you expect some return on that in terms of crowds or sponsorship? After 20 years in SL it's not unreasonable to expect the third largest city in Europe to produce crowds above a couple of thousand.

For what it's worth London were my second choice behind Toulouse. I was not happy Toronto got booted out. I am an expansionist but just because a team is seen as an expansion project it doesn't put them above criticism, especially when they have consistently failed to deliver any return on the potential they bang on about. I'm getting a bit bored of people who purport to be all about promoting the sport doing nothing but talking it down in the form of digs at other clubs.

Leigh isn't the exciting choice. It's not a sexy choice. But it is the safe option and they do look best equipped to compete on the pitch in 2021. Good luck to them.

Also worth noting unless any of the clubs makes their bids public, we don't know how they stacked up beyond the face value of location, ground and squad.

2 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Nope, not as of 1 minute ago

It's there now. I'm going to guess you're on bbc.com.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

51 minutes ago, Colin James said:

London had 20 years in SL and get smaller crowds than dying pit villages. They had a fair shot. 

I am not sure I understand this. Leigh are in the Super League as a result of an “independent panel” . London got there on the last occasion on the pitch. As did Toronto.

5 minutes ago, phiggins said:

That you didn't read all the bids, and are in fact spouting pompous tosh. Thanks for confirming...

So no team in the academy league = Not interested in junior development

No new fans and playing in a suburb of Wigan. That will add value to the TV contract, LOL

Phew! Finally caught up on this thread having come to the party two hours late!

Overwhelming feeling is relief that it wasn't my club (Bradford). We simply weren't ready. I'm sure we had to apply, but I'm glad we didn't get chosen.

Leigh are the common sense choice. Total lack of any ambition in this choice, but a solid application from a good club, with funding, ground and playing strength. Time you started an Academy though 😉 I'm sure they'll add to their squad, and they clearly need to. In fact, I would imagine that Degsy will have people lined up.

Best of luck to Leigh. Hope you stay up and send one of the existing cartel down into the Champ for 2022.

Archived